Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #496
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
So back to your dilemma. I suggest you make yourself more visible with a bag of roasted peanuts to he point they associate you with where they came from. Squirrels are smart, they will figure it out. Learn a little of their language if you can. I speak fluent Squirrel, but it took years to learn it.
What is your source of roasted-in-the-shell peanuts? At one time, we had a Planter's store downtown, but I haven't found a consistent supply since we returned two years ago.

05-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #497
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What is your source of roasted-in-the-shell peanuts? At one time, we had a Planter's store downtown, but I haven't found a consistent supply since we returned two years ago.
I buy them at a local grocery store...a 16 oz bag is $2. They sell them on Amazon but they are very expensive there. Do a Google and you can find them cheaper.
I live in "peanut country" so they are fairly cheap here. I don't give them more than a dozen or so a day, they are considered special treats...like apples.

Check around town, someone may carry them cheaper....local feed stores often have bulk roasted peanuts in the shell.

They do love roasted peanuts! Raw peanuts...No! They can't digest them.

Another treat is pecans, ripe but unroasted They like them as much as the peanuts. We also have many thousands of pecan trees around here so there is no shortage in a good year. I pick them up for free at one of my friends pecan orchard.

Still....their #1 favorite is black oil sunflower seeds, available at feed stores and about .50 cents a pound. Full of protein and sweet tasting, they eat all they can get....and around here they get plenty!

Regards!
05-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #498
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the last bags of roasted in the shell at Big Lots! $1 a bag, and the bags at the grocery store here are higher priced.
05-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #499
Veteran Member

This guy and his gymnastic skills have been regulars in my garden recently.
K-7, A35-105

05-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #500
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Even if I can't get squirrels at my house, I can find them at my hubby's grandparents'. This one was not happy about me interrupting dinner time.

05-06-2016, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #501
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I bought the last bags of roasted in the shell at Big Lots! $1 a bag, and the bags at the grocery store here are higher priced.
Last year I found 2# bags of roasted peanuts at Aldis on a closeout sale for .89 cents a bag...I bought all 50 bags! Most of the fat squirrels here owe their fat to those peanuts!

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
This guy and his gymnastic skills have been regulars in my garden recently.
They have great acrobatic skills, and can jump a long way too! I saw one leap over 25 feet yesterday and he was about 60 feet in the treetop when he made the jump!

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Even if I can't get squirrels at my house, I can find them at my hubby's grandparents'.
Nice X10 shots Tina! Squirrels are great to shoot anywhere you can find them!

My only squirrel from yesterday...I've been busy rebuilding my fences, so didn't shoot much .

Cute little girly squirrel! Eating on top of the new fence rail.

Regards!
05-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #502
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

New one today. Not as sharp as I would have like but shot with the new Vivitar lens. Hands were shaking pretty bad and even SR can't compete when that happens. Tomorrow I'll take the tripod out.

05-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #503
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hands were shaking pretty bad and even SR can't compete when that happens.
Not good Photolady? What is the cause of that...if I'm not prying too much?

I get most of my tips in life from Otis Squirrel, which may account for most of my problems too. However, he does come up with some winners. It was his idea for the "Cheater Branches" and recently he came up with a way to get more squirrels to pose on them. He uses this method for "bravery training" of his Army Squirrels........

Just put a few dabs of peanut oil on the Cheater Branches and they will defy death to track down the irresistible scent!

Where is old Norm??? I've looked everywhere for him. I checked the PF Forum jail and they say he is not there. Otis is very concerned...me too.

Regards!
05-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #504
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

What is the cause of that...if I'm not prying too much?
Medication I consume so I can breathe better. It doesn't cause me to shake every day but most days I shake a little, and other days I shake a lot, sometimes so bad when picking something up, I end up throwing that something across the room.
05-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #505
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Medication I consume so I can breathe better. It doesn't cause me to shake every day but most days I shake a little, and other days I shake a lot, sometimes so bad when picking something up, I end up throwing that something across the room.
Well, I hate that but can you breathe better? That rates higher than steady hands. . I have some breathing uneasiness on very humid days, makes me tired and miserable. Hope it doesn't get worse. Getting old is no cakewalk.

Regards!
05-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #506
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I hate that but can you breathe better?
As long as I don't over exert myself. I have COPD. And this humid state I live in doesn't help. It didn't help when I lived in Texas either. It was just as humid there as it is here. The most annoying thing when my hands shake is trying to type. My hands dance on the keys. Sometimes it's so bad I can't keep my hands on the keys. But like I said, it doesn't happen every day. So, I deal with it.
05-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #507
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where is old Norm??? I've looked everywhere for him. I checked the PF Forum jail and they say he is not there. Otis is very concerned...me too.

Regards!
I was wondering the same thing.
05-09-2016, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #508
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Couple of my squirrels from today and new to me Vivitar Series 1 100-400mm.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-11-2016 at 03:58 PM.
05-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #509
Pentaxian

I do sometimes have a life away from the forum you know Rupert . OK, so not very often, but sometimes....

05-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #510
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I do sometimes have a life away from the forum you know Rupert . OK, so not very often, but sometimes....
Otis searched every jail cell in PForum without success and just assumed that wolves got you.

I guess all that searching wore him out?

I told Otis this pose just "looks nasty". He said that's only because I have a filthy mind.

Regards!