Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #601
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OUCH!! Rupert. How the heck did you do that?

Knock on wood (taps self on head) , I've never broken a bone.

05-30-2016, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #602
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
OUCH!! Rupert. How the heck did you do that?
Fell off a roof...twice. Forgot I'm not "really" a squirrel!

From this evening.....
The power of peanut butter!

It brings a big smile!

Mighty tasty too!

Regards!
05-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #603
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Fell off a roof...twice.
You didn't learn the first time so you had to try it twice? Sorry, I feel for you Rupert, just can't reach you.

I talked to nephew today about putting me a limb or small bare tree up for making a suet feeder, he said a small bare tree would rot unless it was cedar. And now he wants to move my bird feeder post because of where he parks. I told him no, he needs to get rid of his other trailers and old boat and park his truck somewhere else in "my" back yard. LOL All in fun I said that but really!? not.
05-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #604
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I talked to nephew today about putting me a limb or small bare tree up for making a suet feeder, he said a small bare tree would rot unless it was cedar.
For years I had a "cement tree". A small dead tree I set in cement at a great location to shoot out of my dining room bay window. They will last for several years and are wonderful to attract birdies. It does not have to be cedar. Get someone to do it for you and you won't regret it!

Regards!

05-30-2016, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #605
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife and I spent the past three days at Pt Pelee National Park, in Canada on the north shore of Lake Erie. Even though her purpose was to see birds {and we probably saw more than usual}, I fully expected to come back with a collection of squirrel photographs ... but they had other thoughts. We did see a couple of squirrels in time to avoid running over them with our car, and we saw another half-dozen or so running furtively through the forest, but one never came anywhere within reach of my camera. One of my personal goals was to try out the new-to-me 120-600mm lens I concocted by combining a Tamron Adaptall #23A and a Tamron #01L 2X TC, so on the first day I sat at our lunchtime picnic table playing with it when this guy suddenly appeared. I misread the settings {I should have used a smaller aperture}, but I quickly took this picture while he surveyed the situation. After than, the lens was useless because he dashed from the clearing edge to under our table.

My wife reminded me of a similar incident in 1985, when we were at Glacier National Park and a local squirrel laid claim to our picnic area:

Last edited by reh321; 06-01-2016 at 01:39 PM. Reason: reduced PF in picture
05-31-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #606
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
so on the first day I sat at our lunchtime picnic table playing with it when this guy suddenly appeared.
Well, you tried and that counts! At least the raccoon got his few minutes of fame!

Next time ...take a couple of pounds of roasted peanuts in the hulls. Find a location you can shoot well and spread them out liberally. If there are any squirrels, they will find them for sure!

Playing around this morning....I shot this squirrel on the Cheater Branch with the Tamron 70-200 2.8. It is normally Bigma range at 500mm..but I wanted to see what happened.

1/200 f4.5 @ 200mm ISO 3200 K1+ Tamron 70-200 handheld in the K1 Crop Mode. Then I cropped off another 60% of the frame and this is what I had left.

This is one sharp lens! It has me thinking that maybe a DA*300 +TC would be a very good combination on the K1?

Norm
, any suggestions? I don't want the 150-450 at this time, I need too many other lenses to spend that much currently. Mrs Rupert is already checking for vacancy at the home for old demented squirrel shooters.

Regards!
05-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #607
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like your squirrels really like peanut butter Rupert. I haven't any squirrel shots for two days now and the next three days are busy days for me, probably won't get any squirrel shots then either. So, I probably won't get to try the peanut butter until Saturday.

05-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #608
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had 6 1/2 inches of rain here in two hours Photolady.......more for tomorrow coming......massive flooding all over the county. Not much photo activity for me either.

Regards!
06-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #609
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Had 6 1/2 inches of rain here in two hours Photolady.......more for tomorrow coming......massive flooding all over the county. Not much photo activity for me either.
Our Pentax kits are WR.
Maybe you could get a picture of Otis wearing his rain slicker.
06-01-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Texas Chipmunk

The heavy rains have avoided us, but so have the squirrels today. So here's one of our Central Texas Chipmunks instead:
Name:  Texas Chipmonk.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  363.8 KB
06-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #611
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Never seen a chipmunk that looks like a lizard!?
06-01-2016, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They've just adapted to the climate. They scurry about in our woods, darting from tree to brush pile, sit and pose on stumps and rocks. Closest thing to a chipmunk we have here.
BTW, I shot this today with a 135mm lens I bought in 1969, used today on an A7. Poor light with the storms threatening, so there is noise from the ISO being cranked up, but below is a 100% crop, showing - as other have noted - that many of the old film-era lenses are still pretty good! I haven't been interested in new lenses for quite some time.
Name:  Chipmunk2.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  584.7 KB

Last edited by TomB_tx; 06-01-2016 at 06:43 PM.
06-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #613
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

We have fence lizards here that dart up and down and across trees but I still wouldn't call them chipmunks, Chipmunks have fur and resemble squirrels and are actually in the same animal family as squirrels. Btw, we don't have Chipmunks in my state.
06-02-2016, 04:16 AM   #614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I fully agree. We had real chipmunks and other ground squirrels where I grew up, and I miss them. But this guy said he identifies with chipmunks, so who am I to judge.
06-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #615
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Well, I fully agree. We had real chipmunks and other ground squirrels where I grew up, and I miss them. But this guy said he identifies with chipmunks, so who am I to judge.
When we lived in Massachusetts, we had a wood-burning fireplace insert, so every Autumn we ordered several cords of wood; our storage area wasn't quite large enough, so I also piled some on the patio, just outside the kitchen window. One day I looked out that window and saw a chipmunk staring back at me; he had climbed to the top of the woodpile, and was looking to see what he could see from there {unfortunately, I didn't have a camera immediately available}.