Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2016, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #916
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But enough of that, wo wants more squirrel images?

Although all and any questions on how to get better squirrel pictures are welcome.

11-02-2016, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #917
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are times when so many people seem to be in agreement, I just let things like this pass. It falls under the category of "it's not that big a deal". I have never once has an image ruined by SR being turned on when shooting on a tripod, and I've taken thousands of them. Sometimes, people are just going to believe what they want. Most of the time I just use the tripod to steady the camera, it's not locked down, to prevent vibration or movement. When tracking squirrels or birds it doesn't make any sense to lock your tripod. So, SR is always on.
When I bought my K10D, which was my first autofocus camera, I was always upset everytime I forgot to turn SR off when on a tripod. Eventually I discovered that there was never really any difference. The shots that did not turn out had nothing to do with SR being on. It had more to do with me. Eventually I just started leaving it on all the time. I also have never really noticed any difference between my lenses that have OS and using SR. So now I just use SR all the time. I briefly had the Sigma 70-200 with OS but found the 2.2kg difference over the Tamron 70-200 not worth it. So the Sigma went back and now I have the Tamron again.

We have so many feral cats here I almost never see any squirrels. THE squirrels that are around don't stay still very long. This guy used to live in the tree behind my house but now the whole nest is gone.

HD 55-300

Last edited by Scorpio71GR; 11-02-2016 at 04:33 PM.
11-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #918
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
We have so many feral cats here I almost never see any squirrels.
I have feral cats here too but they skedaddle when I point the water hose at them.

I've decided to take Norm's advice and leave SR on while on a tripod. The thing is, my tripod is in my house behind my computer chair, pointed at the open window. There is no wind inside so there is no chance that it will wobble and I don't have to tie it down. The only movement would be from pressing the shutter button.
11-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #919
Pentaxian

The neighbour got a picture on her backyard cam of a wolf carrying a neighbours cat through her yard. Wolves solve a lot of problems.

11-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #920
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We have coyote around that usually keep the stray cat population low. But coyote season is in, and the cats are roaming again.

The squirrels are staying up in the treetops here.
11-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #921
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not mind feral cats too much. Duke on the other hand has a different opinion.

There is rescue group here that has a trap, neuter, and release program. They lend you the trap and you bring the cat to them when you catch it. The cat is altered and then released. I started doing this a long time ago and it has drastically reduced the feral population. Unfortunately this year I have been working so much I have not had the time to trap them. So the population is higher than the last few years. I believe most of the cats are abandoned when people move out of the apartments around here. The turnover rate is pretty high. I have even pulled a few out of empty houses after people moved out. I usually try to keep a few feral around me. When they are around I do not have any mice. Some of the cats I trapped were adopted out when we deemed they were unfit to live on their own.
11-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #922
Pentaxian

You can't have feral cats and bird feeders. It's nice for the cats, not so good for birds.

11-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #923
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

They have the same here. I don't do it because I'm not able but a neighbor of ours does this.
11-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #924
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah I do not have any bird feeders here. All we have are sparrows as starlings. I have to get out of the city to see anything else. Even the Robins do not like it here and they are everywhere. I have thought about trying a few feeders but I do not think it really be worth it. My yard, what little I do have, is just too small.
11-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #925
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can't have feral cats and bird feeders. It's nice for the cats, not so good for birds.
It's difficult to have neighbor cats that are well fed by owners and bird feeders. The neighbor's cat across the street visits my yard for at least 1/3 to 1/2 Of every day. It is a beautiful sleek friendly amusing black cat. It has a terrible habit of sitting my porch directly in front of the locked screen door or window in plain view of my two dogs who then bark incessantly for the duration of the cats presence. It just silently grooms itself in plain view whilst the dogs are having a meltdown inside. For them it's 'Cat TV' for me I'm happy I'm slightly deaf. The rest of the time they race through the house to the back doggie door to bark at the cat on whichever side of the house it has moved to or even totally across the street. Since there are 5 or 6 different neighborhood cats that enjoy my yard 'birdie' sanctuary that I have created it's an everyday chaos with the dogs barking at cats and cats sleeping under bird feeders. Although I must say since the presence of the cats I have no more problem with mice trying to move into the house for the winter or trying to escape the summer heat. Those birdies are brave.
11-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #926
Pentaxian

Now it turns out that squirrels are even interferring with our democracy.
Squirrel sparks Ohio voting outage - CNNPolitics.com
{interesting choice of pictures by CNN - I wonder what kind of squirrel they actually have in southern Ohio}
11-05-2016, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #927
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

With the new to me Sigma 400mm f5.6

Last edited by photolady95; 11-05-2016 at 04:01 PM.
11-05-2016, 02:18 PM - 2 Likes   #928
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very 'friendly' squirells at local park - if they think you might have food they will come very close.

Sigma 150 500

11-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #929
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Very 'friendly' squirells at local park - if they think you might have food they will come very close.
That's how the squirrels are at one of our local parks as well. They are practically tame from being hand-fed so much. Saw this one today after a morning rain - he was a bit wary of my dogs (Fuji X10):
11-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #930
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery