Show Printable Version 3077 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2016, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #1006
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I've seen squirrels shed blood over a special peanut
Reminds me of the time there was an assassination attempt on Otis....a rival snuck up from behind and knifed him in the neck.

Fortunately his body guards were quick to subdue and eradicate the offender. Unfortunately, Otis had the three body guards executed too, for failing to keep him 100% safe at all times. Yes, squirrels do have a violent and vindictive side!

Regards! & Merry Christmas from Otis Squirrel....and me too!

12-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #1007
Veteran Member

I got some squirrel shots yesterday, you can see them in this post along with a new feeder for them! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/336226-nature-15-craz...ml#post3860831
12-24-2016, 03:30 PM - 7 Likes   #1008
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I got some squirrel shots yesterday, you can see them in this post along with a new feeder for them!
I enjoyed those shots and the story! You can bet your squirrels and Jays are thrilled too!

My squirrels go for all the peanuts they can get!

...they're good, but they can't compete with the Jays that can choke them down whole if they get in a hurry!

Regards & Merry Christmas!
12-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #1009
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Regards & Merry Christmas!
Good to see you back in the squirrels nest! Merry Christmas to y'all as well

12-24-2016, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #1010
Pentaxian

Otis wishing everyone Merry Christmas and happy new year 2017!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-25-2016, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #1011
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Good to see you back in the squirrels nest! Merry Christmas to y'all as well
Thanks Paul! Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family too....maybe we can get together for lunch soon in the new year?

Otis has declared 2017 "The Year of the Squirrel".....whatever that means? I always thought every year was the year of the squirrel? It is around here.

Maybe it means more squirrel shots in this thread...or maybe just more gourmet feed for all the squirrels of the world?

Damn Otis is handsome! ( He made me add that!)

Regards & Merry Christmas to all the fine Squirrel Shooters that keep this thread alive and thriving!
Rupert
12-25-2016, 05:50 PM - 3 Likes   #1012
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No turkey and dressing....but I did give Otis a big bag of assorted exotic nuts and he agreed to pose for a Christmas Day shot. It won't hurt if you guys want to mention that he is still "damn handsome".

Merry Christmas from Otis Squirrel!

12-27-2016, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #1013
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

"damned handsome" he may be but I say this berry is mine, stay away

(3 different photos, last photo is extreme crop of # 3) K 3 + HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW on monopod support
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-27-2016 at 05:43 AM.
12-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #1014
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
"damned handsome" he may be
Otis thanks you for noticing how "damn handsome" he is and enjoyed your shots of another handsome little critter! He also recommended I get one of those 150-450 Pentax lenses in 2017...and I may just do it? Are you happy with yours?

I was told to post this, even though I did complain and hesitate to post what is no doubt a sneaky Advertisement from Otis. I told Otis this could get me banned....again ....for 6 months or longer, and once again taken into the back rooms of Pentax Forums, lashed with a leather strap, pistol whipped, stripped naked and covered with fire ants, and then waterboarded. He said none of that was his problem, he has never been banned and has friends here in "High Places" and doesn't really care what problems I encounter......"just post my photos and message.......If you get banned, no one will care anyhow."

So if you don't see me again, you will know why......

A Public Service announcement from Otis Squirrel.

Friends, men tired of being humiliated, and those wanting to enhance their love lives....

Is this you? Lacking in the area of "critical equipment", scorned by your peers and laughed at by the girly squirrels in your world? Are you sometimes mistaken as being a girly squirrel yourself? Do you have dreams of being a "Macho Squirrel" and admired by your peers like other members of the Otis Army of Squirrels?

Well suffer no more! For only $19.95 (plus shipping!) you too can be admired for your manly equipment and never again be ridiculed and scorned by the ladies. My patented potion can give you the enhancement you desire in 7 days or less or your money back! (Read the small print on the package before requesting a refund......you will need an electron microscope, but it is all there!)

Normally sold on E-Bay for $19.95, I am offering it here to my friends for only $10.95 a bottle.....and wait........just liek on TV, if you order today I will ship you an extra bottle for free...you just pay the cost of shipping the 2nd bottle! What a deal! You can finally be a man...or manly squirrel...and have the life of Otis, the respect and admiration of all the ladies and the envy of your peers!

You want some proof,you say? Well that poor little guy above eliminated his misery with just one bottle of my magical Otis Manhood Enhancer and look at him now after just a few days of treatment!

Tastes good too...just like fine roasted peanuts and only contains 95% alcohol, so you can feel good about drinking it too!

Remember....this is a Public Service announcement from Otis Squirrel....any complaints should be made against Rupert, not me!

Best Regards!
Otis Squirrel- Order today without delay!
12-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #1015
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Otis thanks you for noticing how "damn handsome" he is and enjoyed your shots of another handsome little critter! He also recommended I get one of those 150-450 Pentax lenses in 2017...and I may just do it? Are you happy with yours?

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/264...#ixzz4U3EyspNR

________

I think that Otis pulled some strings. Knowing your interest, he obviously arranged the following:

I had planned on renting the big guy - HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW - for our first trip to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone NP in early June 2017. I had rented the big guy for 4 days earlier this fall as a try out. I kept talking myself into and out of buying one.

I was tempted when the price dropped at B & H and Adorama in December and then I saw one (used but like new) for sale on Ebay for a lower price - got everything I would have gotten buying new except 1 year warranty, instructions and box. I contacted the seller and discovered that he was a long time lurker, now new member, of the Forums.

The wife, once again, agreed to let me spend $ on camera equipment and I talked price to the seller

I bought it 2 days before Christmas and expected deliver this week. it came Sat instead.

found link for instructions pdf on the forums.

I have tried it in the field yesterday. Photos are posted in various threads on the forums. I like it.

Went out yesterday with the equipment listed below supported by my Optech USA Utility strap sling to test the system described below.

I walked around the Topeka Zoological Park and even walked up and down some stairs. felt comfortable with no fears of the sling and/or hand grip failing because of weight. Weight of lens was quite noticeable but could be managed. Although I must say that the shear mass of the camera and lens hanging off my right hip was quite daunting.

for a while. I had the sling supporting the weight of a monopod as well.

K 3
Size (W x H x D)
131.5 x 100 x 77.5 mm
Weight
715 g (800 g with battery and SD card)

extra battery grip for K 3 (weight for grip and extra battery ???)

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW (new to me Christmas/Birthday present)

Diam x Length
95 x 241.5 mm (3.7 x 9.5 in.)
Weight
2000 g (70.5 oz.)
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Joby UltraFit Hand Strap with Ultra Plate

_______

YMMV

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-27-2016 at 08:18 AM.
12-27-2016, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #1016
Veteran Member

Original Poster
felt comfortable with no fears of the sling and/or hand grip failing because of weight. Weight of lens was quite noticeable but could be managed. Although I must say that the shear mass of the camera and lens hanging off my right hip was quite daunting.
I am very used to my Bigma 50-500 and shoot 100% hand held with it, so the weight and size will not be a problem for me either. The other benefit is that with all that exercise, us "big lens" shooters don't need Otis' magical "enhancer"!

"I found a Big One!"

"Yummy!!! Peanut butter!"

Regards!
12-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #1017
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reminds me of the time there was an assassination attempt on Otis....a rival snuck up from behind and knifed him in the neck.

Fortunately his body guards were quick to subdue and eradicate the offender. Unfortunately, Otis had the three body guards executed too, for failing to keep him 100% safe at all times. Yes, squirrels do have a violent and vindictive side!

Regards! & Merry Christmas from Otis Squirrel....and me too!
Otis must be a very hard squirrel

though I suppose someone had to pay
it was after all an unforgiveable deficit of situational awareness

if he can afford bodyguards he is quite unlikely to accept any personal responsibility for this lapse in security
hopefully his next attendants will have overstimulated pineal glands thus ensuring his safety as he consolidates his position in the food chain
perhaps with his ascendant dominance he can surround himself with a cohort of german shepherd bitches, fierce and territorial
extending his sway over the entire neighborhood

though at that point I am not confident that he will accept simple "gourmet" peanuts as a satisfactory tribute from his adoring humans
the potential for your own subjugation increases by the moment

however i'm sure you are well aware of the possibilities and embrace its probable outcome
12-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #1018
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

... perhaps with his ascendant dominance he can surround himself with a cohort of german shepherd bitches, fierce and territorial
extending his sway over the entire neighborhood ...
I like dogs, I like german shepherds, ever tho one nipped me as a kid

any doberman pinscher scare the heck out of me

MVHO YMMV

_________

"Rupert said about Otis

It won't hurt if you guys want to mention that he is still "damn handsome".

I did so and was thanked.

Actually, I felt I had no option,

Otis has a long reach, we all know that,

it appeared to me to be a "royal command"

and I feared for my life if I dared to ignore his "wish".

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-27-2016 at 11:13 AM.
12-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #1019
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like dogs, I like german shepherds, ever tho one nipped me as a kid

any doberman pinscher scare the heck out of me

MVHO YMMV
labs and poodles for me

though the most effective guard dog I ever ran across wasn't a dog
it was a BEWARE OF DOG sign

a older woman still lived on the homeplace
I drove up to shoot a case of trouble
saw the sign
honked my horn

she came out the barn and waved me in

I asked about her dog
she said it had died a few years back but the sign still worked and didn't eat as much

the thing about shepherds and collies is that for the most part they are just doing what they were made for
a recalcitrant human is no different than a misbehaving flock and a quick nip should set things right
12-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #1020
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

labs and poodles for me ...
never had poodles, most people don't know that poodles were hunting dogs originally

have owned in the past:

English Springer spaniel (just had to put down an ill 11 year old 3 days before Christmas), Japanese Chin, Brittany and

2 chocolate labs: the most dangerous thing about any lab - the tail can knock you off your feet

wife wants us to get another Japanese Chin (anyone know of any reputable breeders near Kansas?? If so, please PM me)

---------- Post added 12-27-16 at 13:12 ----------

I am very used to my Bigma 50-500 and shoot 100% hand held with it, so the weight and size will not be a problem for me either. The other benefit is that with all that exercise, us "big lens" shooters don't need Otis' magical "enhancer"!
you may want to look at this post for photos comparing how big the big guy is compared to the Pentax 16 - 85 mm on my sling system

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/333742...ng-thanks.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-27-2016 at 12:14 PM.