Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3079 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 01:17 PM   #1021
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
never had poodles, most people don't know that poodles were hunting dogs originally

have owned in the past:

English Springer spaniel (just had to put down an ill 11 year old 3 days before Christmas), Japanese Chin, Brittany and

2 chocolate labs: the most dangerous thing about any lab - the tail can knock you off your feet
in over twenty years of knocking on doors, labs were number one for bites
probably because you assumed they were somebody's pet

number two were little poodles
number three were st. bernards (they were very popular here in the late 70's and early 80's as farm dogs)...bred too close?

by the time I quit working outside pits were all the rage...you couldn't take a chance with them since where I worked they were fighters or some doper's dog

somebody in south Dakota is selling standard poodles as hunters
others locally seem to be pushing them as breeding stock for the miscellaneous boutique puppies

sorry about your dog...springers are engaging beasts

12-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #1022
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Growing up we had Standard Poodles. My grandfather, who was from Germany, actually hunted with them. They were bred to be retrievers hence the way they were cut. Fur was left around vital organs and at the ends of joints for insulation. The rest was trimmed away to reduce drag in the water, Our last Standard Poodle was 70lbs about the size of a golden retriever. I have had German Shepherds all my adult life and I have a male now who is 9.5 years old. The thing with German Shepherds is if they do not like someone they is not a whole lot you can do about it. All my shepherds have been rescues. Unfortunately too many people get them not understanding you are going to end up with a 100lb dog with tons of energy and extremely intelligent. A bored German Shepherd is a destructive dog.

All the squirrels here are staying high in the trees an not coming down much. Next year I think I am going to have to put some feeders out
12-27-2016, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #1023
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
Otis must be a very hard squirrel
He has a heart of stone when it comes to his own well being.....but soft as a little Teddy Bear for little kids, and most animals.....though he is not fond of birds that "fowl the air".

though at that point I am not confident that he will accept simple "gourmet" peanuts as a satisfactory tribute from his adoring humans
the potential for your own subjugation increases by the moment

however i'm sure you are well aware of the possibilities and embrace its probable outcome
I am already pretty much subjugated to the wishes of Otis.....it could get worse but I doubt he would do away with me, since I provide so much of the delicacies he loves. He does like to see me get in trouble on the Forum and delights in it when they torture and humiliate me when all I did was follow Otis' directions.

"Rupert said about Otis

It won't hurt if you guys want to mention that he is still "damn handsome".

I did so and was thanked.

Actually, I felt I had no option,

Otis has a long reach, we all know that,

it appeared to me to be a "royal command"

and I feared for my life if I dared to ignore his "wish".
Otis says you are a very wise man, he appreciates your wisdom......and it will do well for you!

you may want to look at this post for photos comparing how big the big guy is compared to the Pentax 16 - 85 mm on my sling system
Thanks....looks handy! I usually just carry the K1/Bigma by the tripod mount, it makes a good handle.

This morning this little guy wanted to eat in privacy.....he is a little self conscious and will be until that new Magic Otis Potion kicks in and makes him feel more manly! I hope he has read the "fine print"?

"What are you guys lookin' at? Haven't you ever seen the sap from a Peanut Tree in the Fall?"

Squirrels are fun critters.....get some feed and feed them and you will have fun subjects to shoot anytime!

Best Regards!
12-27-2016, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #1024
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am already pretty much subjugated to the wishes of Otis.....it could get worse but I doubt he would do away with me, since I provide so much of the delicacies he loves. He does like to see me get in trouble on the Forum and delights in it when they torture and humiliate me when all I did was follow Otis' directions.
it very likely will get worse!

your relationship has ripped asunder some fundamental aspects of the human/rodent paradigm

already you've provided Otis a degree of entertainment by acting as his agent in human affairs

your minor debasement has all hallmarks of a test run...mildly irritating to you...richly satisfying to Otis

you are right about one thing'...Otis would not eliminate a source of such joy...well...unless he should discover a more pliable butt for his cruel machinations

I've long held that the cockroach and twinkie version of the apocalypse was flawed
I suspect squirrels like Otis will lounge about being served twinkies by willing cockroaches

gods help us all!
this thing you've started...it just can't end well!

12-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #1025
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it very likely will get worse!

your relationship has ripped asunder some fundamental aspects of the human/rodent paradigm

already you've provided Otis a degree of entertainment by acting as his agent in human affairs

your minor debasement has all hallmarks of a test run...mildly irritating to you...richly satisfying to Otis

you are right about one thing'...Otis would not eliminate a source of such joy...well...unless he should discover a more pliable butt for his cruel machinations

I've long held that the cockroach and twinkie version of the apocalypse was flawed
I suspect squirrels like Otis will lounge about being served twinkies by willing cockroaches

gods help us all!

you are scaring me even more

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-27-2016 at 08:55 PM.
12-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #1026
Veteran Member

my guess is that fear is wasted effort at this juncture

I've never been good at resignation
perhaps acceptance is in order

the only bright side to all this is we're talking about a texas squirrel
territorial expansion may be stymied by climatic realities
it is consistently colder as one ventures north

a temporary alliance with the other tribes of squirrels might produce an effective check
long standing resentments do exist
they might be manipulated and enflamed to neutralize Otis's ambitions

or...we just tell Otis that the chili and bbq is less extravagant as he and his minions move north
and expansion immediately east or west would ensure gustatory compatibility

beyond that the options become much more sanguine
I would hate to leave that possibility to future generations
12-28-2016, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #1027
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

or...we just tell Otis that the chili and bbq is less extravagant as he and his minions move north
and expansion immediately east or west would ensure gustatory compatibility ...

If we tell him that Georgia is where they raise peanuts, I think we might be safe

12-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #1028
Veteran Member

Original Poster
gods help us all!
Good Lordy, that is some scary stuff you wrote!

Let's tell it like it is......what CCC wrote is scary as hell. I'm having nightmares and I'm wide awake!

If we tell him that Georgia is where they raise peanuts, I think we might be safe

I'm going to tell Otis that Jimmy Carter loves squirrels and he should dump me and head that way!

Regards!
12-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #1029
smf
Pentaxian

Is that Otis humming "Georgia on My Mind"?
12-28-2016, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #1030
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...Squirrels are fun critters.....get some feed and feed them and you will have fun subjects to shoot anytime!...
a couple of years ago we ran a minor feeding experiment...
walnuts (black and English)
acorns (big and small)
hickory nuts
peanuts (raw and roasted)

the winner...wild hickory nuts!

however, since we have limited access to them, they eat the runner-up roasted unsalted peanuts

another food that draws them is sunflowers just before they begin to shed their petals
we had as many as a dozen munching the heads like apples
our goldfinches were quite miffed

another (almost universal) favorite is any of the fruit and nut food varieties though stokes is by far the best received

in just the last hour we've had:
four fox squirrels
three downies
a redbelly
twenty+ juncos
three cardinal pairs
two chickadees
a nuthatch
two house finches
four gold finches
one house sparrow
and a scourge of starlings

that is at one 6x6 bonsai pot we repurposed as a feeder
I've included the pot and its defender
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #1031
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a couple of years ago we ran a minor feeding experiment...
walnuts (black and English)
acorns (big and small)
hickory nuts
peanuts (raw and roasted)

the winner...wild hickory nuts!

however, since we have limited access to them, they eat the runner-up roasted unsalted peanuts

another food that draws them is sunflowers just before they begin to shed their petals
we had as many as a dozen munching the heads like apples
our goldfinches were quite miffed

another (almost universal) favorite is any of the fruit and nut food varieties though stokes is by far the best received

in just the last hour we've had:
four fox squirrels
three downies
a redbelly
twenty+ juncos
three cardinal pairs
two chickadees
a nuthatch
two house finches
four gold finches
one house sparrow
and a scourge of starlings

Who dared to post a photo to this discussion thread?
12-28-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #1032
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Is that Otis humming "Georgia on My Mind"?
...but not so funny if you heard him screeching it out!

Otis is very impressed that you would go to such efforts on behalf of handsome and worthy squirrels to find their favorite feed. He is not as impressed that you feed those air fowling birds, but he said he can live with it as long as squirrels are your #1 priority!

I got a PM from Aslyfox and he is going to add the Otis Seal of Approval to his signature......Otis said you would look twice as handsome if you did the same? We can help you do it....and Otis says it could be quite rewarding.....

You guys are keeping this thread interesting......and fun! I love fun, Otis too! Gorgeous winter day here...bright sun and 75F, but not a squirrel in sight. I think they all headed down to the creek to go skinny dipping.

BTW- The favorite food here is black oil sunflower seeds.....followed by roasted peanuts and then dried corn on the cobb. They also love apple slices and of course, the sap from Peanut Butter trees!

" I love my corn!"

"Corn builds strong muscles too!"

"On a hot Summer day, apple slices work best!"

Regards!
12-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #1033
Veteran Member

Rupert

I know how bewitching these little guys can be
they are charming but ultimately narcissistic...borderline sociopathic at the best of times

after my boys' pet, max midnight, the famous detective gerbil, perished in an unplanned interspecies conflict
we replaced him with seemingly benign hamsters

not so benign!

they had plans, grand plans, and nothing stood in their way
they, much like Otis, conceived a plot to dominate civilization as WE knew it
a manifest destiny if you will

at times inept they were always relentless and focused
nothing and no one stood in their way

I documented this plan of theirs over the ensuing decade
broadsheets, t-shirts, mugs and mouse pads

I was initially quite fond of the furry little guys
ultimately I lived in fear of their Machiavellian machinations

hence my previous cautions here

by all means enjoy your relationship with Otis and his ilk
just remember that the orts and leavings of rodents are most unsatisfactory fare
Attached Images

12-28-2016, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #1034
Veteran Member

Original Poster
they had plans, grand plans, and nothing stood in their way
they, much like Otis, conceived a plot to dominate civilization as WE knew it
a manifest destiny if you will
Yes, we must always be mindful that they have motives that are not necessarily in our best interests. They are unlike humans that want immediate results and instant gratification......they can wait many generations for us to destroy ourselves, leaving them as worldly dominators.

Meanwhile, Otis wanted you to have this seldom given award for your kindly attention to the little furry creatures of the world.....squirrels in particular.

Few receive this award, so you are in a select group that has shown outstanding dedication and perseverance over time, that few can match.

Regards!
12-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #1035
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was initially quite fond of the furry little guys ultimately I lived in fear of their Machiavellian machinations
You have an amusing way with words . Keep up the good work - very enjoyable!