Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #1186
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rupert isn't the only one feeding them. I feed them too. The year's acorn crop is almost non existent and there isn't much berries for them to eat, so I help them out by feeding them. I would hate that the babies come spring didn't get enough milk from mama because mama didn't get enough to eat through the winter.

02-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #1187
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Rupert isn't the only one feeding them. I feed them too. The year's acorn crop is almost non existent and there isn't much berries for them to eat, so I help them out by feeding them. I would hate that the babies come spring didn't get enough milk from mama because mama didn't get enough to eat through the winter.
I wasn't pointing out anyone in particular, Rupert's statement just triggered the thought

no problem with the feeding as long as it continues, once a wild animal is fed by humans, it tends to return to the free forage and not hunt on its own. so folks need to do as you indicate and feed them all the time.

IMHO, YMMV
02-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #1188
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry but I get a little agitated when someone suggests that feeding wild animals shouldn't be done but we don't make them pets, we just make sure they are getting something to eat. Loads of people feed birds, here in the south and up north so feeding my squirrels, I find are the same scenario, right!? And I feed them year round, three hundred sixty five/six days a year, they get fed, not just in the winter time. And I don't feed all wildlife, just the ones that come to my yard.

FWIW, I was told to feed the birds if I wanted them to come down out of the trees to be able to photograph them, by a member who does the same.
02-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #1189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I feed the birds. It just so happens the squirrels eat the majority of the seeds.
No doubt there are raccoons and possums* snacking in the overnight hours.

*yes, technical opossum, but I prefer to write possum

02-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #1190
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Sorry but I get a little agitated when someone suggests that feeding wild animals shouldn't be done but we don't make them pets, we just make sure they are getting something to eat. Loads of people feed birds, here in the south and up north so feeding my squirrels, I find are the same scenario, right!? And I feed them year round, three hundred sixty five/six days a year, they get fed, not just in the winter time. And I don't feed all wildlife, just the ones that come to my yard.

FWIW, I was told to feed the birds if I wanted them to come down out of the trees to be able to photograph them, by a member who does the same.
i believe folks I said

IMHO, YMMV

to each his/her own

I guess I am too familiar who feed wild animals to attract them but fail to follow through and thus the situation could be harmful.
02-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #1191
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I guess I am too familiar who feed wild animals to attract them but fail to follow through and thus the situation could be harmful.
You stop feeding the squirrels and raccoons here and you are a dead man walking...but not walking for long! These are vicious killers if you cross them.

Did you see what they did to poor ol' Charlie who dared to cross a few squirrels and sample their sunflower seeds? I sure as heck don't want my throat slit by angry squirrels! I may go hungry...but not the squirrels!

Regards!
02-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #1192
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

i believe folks I said IMHO, YMMV to each his/her own
Sure I saw it, but you posted this in "Got Squirrel Shots" thread. IMHO, you shouldn't have.

02-03-2017, 01:53 AM   #1193
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Another couple of my fed squirrels.

02-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #1194
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
we feed whoever stops by year-round

though we do cut back a bit when the grackles and starlings become an issue
our tiny yard can't support hundreds of birds at a time

the big draw is a pond and ten feet of stream
we plant for wildlife as well
believe when I tell you that that wild is the operative word here

we fed before I picked up photography again
the images I get are merely a byproduct of something we've embraced for decades

these animals particularly the birds are mobile
should you stop providing food, they will move on

like most people we aren't attracting exotics but our plantings and water do attract migrants
this year we even had one of Rupert's white winged doves...an rarity here...hooked up with a mourning dove, of all things

anyway feed if you want to
you aren't hurting anything
you are probably doing some good
02-03-2017, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #1195
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nothing wrong with that just an observation.
Don't worry about it...you did make it clear with that sentence. Otis says anyone can have an opinion or make an observation, in particular if they are wearing the Otis Seal! Relax and enjoy, Otis says he's "got your back!"

Regards!

I wanted to show everyone this half decent shot of Otis on camouflage maneuvers, but, being the expert he is.....you can't see him!

If you could have seen him, he wanted you to know he is damn handsome even in the bush on duty!
02-04-2017, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #1196
Pentaxian

Hi Rupert, this is for you

Regards
02-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #1197
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Hi Rupert, this is for you
Thanks! That is so neat! Don't know how good that apple is, but he sure makes it look delicious! My squirrels won't do that......if I set out a whole apple they bring it back to me and demand I slice it up for them.

Regards!

BTW- That Otis Seal looks great in your signature! More posters should have one! After all, Otis goal is to make PFourms an "All Squirrel" forum with nothing but squirrel talk and squirrel pictures! He thinks that would be so cool!

Last edited by Rupert; 02-04-2017 at 07:46 AM.
02-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #1198
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got notified by Otis that everyone needs to check their Peanut Trees.....the sap is flowing again this morning! Tasty stuff! He said he hopes Photolady will be very careful if she goes out on a limb to get her some, it can be very dangerous for an unskilled "sapper". Since I have fallen twice in the past and shattered both feet, he won't even let me give it a try. But.....he does bring me a little...on the end of a toothpick!

Regards! ...and Otis reminds...a fat squirrel is a happy squirrel! Keep your squirrels happy!

BTW- Otis says he noticed that the portions on Photolady's shots are much larger than here and says he thinks I may be cheating him? Looks like trouble ahead.....
02-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #1199
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
BTW- Otis says he noticed that the portions on Photolady's shots are much larger than here and says he thinks I may be cheating him? Looks like trouble ahead.....
I hope he doesn't give you too much trouble but since this is Otis, watch your back Rupert.

I put out bigger portions because the squirrels aren't the only ones eating the peanut butter sap. Even the small birds like it and it was all gone this morning when I went out to feed them some peanuts and bread. I replenished it, now if they'll just show up, I'll have shots today.
02-04-2017, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #1200
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now Otis is worried sick that Photolady and other valuable members here will try some fancy maneuvers to get at that sap and get badly hurt. I assured him that Photolady and the rest of us prefer our sap from a jar ion the pantry, but it didn't seem to console him.

But, just in case....don't try this unless you are a well experienced Sapper....or extremely hungry!

If you do get out on a limb and panic...just freeze and call 911...Otis will send a ladder crew to get you down. It may take a few days for them to get there, so hold tight! You can continue to eat as you wait...that's what this guy is doing!

Regards & Be safe!