Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3079 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #436
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Huxley Quote
Do any of your squirrels hiss or spit when at the food table? Ours seem to be pretty feisty, there's certainly a pecking order.
I don't believe I've ever heard mine hiss or spit at each other. They chase each other so I assume they make noise but my hearing isn't that good so I'd probably never hear them even if they're making a hissing or spitting noise.

04-27-2016, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #437
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Two from this morning.

First is watching the bird bath

Getting drink from said bird bath
04-27-2016, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #438
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I don't believe I've ever heard mine hiss or spit at each other. They chase each other so I assume they make noise but my hearing isn't that good so I'd probably never hear them even if they're making a hissing or spitting noise.
All of the squirrels here are "Otis Trained" and curse like sailors. Mrs Rupert won't even go outside when they are congregating.....they whistle at her and make very rude and nasty comments......

First is watching the bird bath
Nice shots Photolady! Got some nice light there today too!

I took a dozen snaps just to get this one half decent. I really need that K1 soon, this MF is killing me.

Otis kept hollering "hurry up!!!" He was wanting to show how brave he is to go out on a limb held up by a tiny screw. See it?

He claims he was over 300 feet off the ground and a fall would mean instant death. Funny, I can easily walk up to that limb and touch it without even reaching overhead.....??? He said I must be a lot taller than I realize.

Regards!
04-27-2016, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #439
Pentaxian

I finished posting today's birds, time for the squirrels. DA*60-250 and F 1.7x AF Adapter (102-425mm ƒ6.5)

In case you are wondering why there are zoom lenses... we're having a little discussion about whether or not he's going to go to the bird feeder and get whacked with my monopod, or back away slowly so no one gets hurt. He decided backing away slowly was the best option.

On the feeder rail.

One of the cousins came to visit.

Last edited by normhead; 04-27-2016 at 12:14 PM.
04-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In case you are wondering why there are zoom lenses... we're having a little discussion about whether or not he's going to go to the bird feeder and get whacked with my monopod, or back away slowly so no one gets hurt. He decided backing away slowly was the best option.
This one is much more friendly than the one around here. Only one of us can be visible at a time; if he sees me, I no longer see him.
04-27-2016, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This one is much more friendly than the one around here. Only one of us can be visible at a time; if he sees me, I no longer see him.
This guy was born here three years ago and as far as I know, these feeders have always been part of his life. He/she sits up in the tree and greets me with a loud chattering every morning when I come out with the seed. I could probably pet him/her if I chose to go that route.

It's even made friends with the dog.
04-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #442
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't wait to get my K1 and be a Pro with shots like those!

04-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #443
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I can't wait to get my K1 and be a Pro
Can't wait to see your pro shots.
04-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #444
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can't wait to see your pro shots.
Otis says it's a trick.....so don't go holding your breath Photolady!

Regards!
04-27-2016, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #445
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can almost walk up to the squirrels here from about five feet away. Of course, that's when the camera is in the house.

Here's another from back in March, this year.

04-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #446
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Norm, how much crop do you have to do with that lens combo?
04-28-2016, 06:21 AM   #447
Pentaxian

It depends on the image, but many are un-cropped, but that's because I'm less than 10 feet away. At most I crop to maybe 4000x3000 as a regular kind of crop, it's very rare I'm happy with a crop that is more than that.
04-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #448
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It depends on the image, but many are un-cropped, but that's because I'm less than 10 feet away.
Thanks for the input. I would have thought being only 10 feet from a subject you wouldn't need more than 300mm. I could be wrong. I am shooting this month with a Samyang 135mm, and at times, I have to crop quite a bit, but that's understandable and of course with my Sigma's 70-300mm, I don't crop much. I'd still like to have a TC that would work with the either the Sigmas, or the 50-200mm.
I suspect the IQ on that DA*60-250mm is much better than my lenses. Well, except the 135mm IQ is excellent. Wish though, it was longer.
04-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #449
Pentaxian

I'd look for an F 1.7x AF adapter for your Samyang.

The 1.7 AF is essentially limited, but the AF is very quick as a result. Once you focus manually the AF system takes over and will automatically adjust if your subject moves slightly forward or back, very handy for small birds.

The 1.7 will push your Samyang to 230mm. And if it's as sharp as my DA*200 you can still add a 1.4 TC to the combo to reach 320 mm. I don't know what ƒ-stop your Samyang is but if it's ƒ2.8 with the 1.7 you'll still be at ƒ4.5. lot of Sigma, Tamron zooms start at ƒ4.5 so compared to anything but m 200 2.8, you're not losing anything.

The squirrel posts above are the 60-250 and the 1.7. However, I rarely shoot anything less than 400mm these days. The 250 and 1.7 are 425, the DA*200 and 1.4 and 1.7 stacked are 476. That's what I usually shoot, one of those two.

If you can find a 1.7, I saw one in the market place a few days ago for $300, it's tailor made for lenses like your Samyang, as it makes them partial AF lenses.

If Samyang ever made a 200mm lens, you'd be so laughing.

At five feet away, 300mm is too close. So it really depends on your set up.
04-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #450
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I crop 99% of all I shoot......usually heavy crops. Shooting from my office windows @ 500mm mostly requires a crop.

This morning I did something different....I mounted my old 105Kiron 2.8 Macro and actually went outside. Otis says that if I am going to ever be a Pro like Norm I need to get out from behind the desk and into the wild.

It's pretty risky out there with all the wild animals that roam here, but I took the chance. Otis furnished one of his newest little girlfriends to get up close and friendly...she told me she is just putting on weight due to all the great food here....but I have my suspicions there is something more to it? After all, I do know Otis!

Kiron 105Macro @ f2.8 Close enough to reach out and touch her......but she probably bites!

Yes...I know your breasts are lovely, but try not to expose them in this next shot.....this is a family site!

Stopped down this lens should be stellar on the K1. It's not bad at all wide open. Maybe I will get out my old safari outfit and start venturing outside when I get the K1. Gotta do what you gotta do if you want to be a K1 Pro!

Love your shots Photolady...love everyone's shots! Y'all keep them coming! We need a Squirrel Revolution at PForums!

Regards!