Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3079 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #616
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not much here today....just this little guy. He loves the Cheater Branch.

Regards!

06-03-2016, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #617
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Still nice to see some squirrels here today. Mine were hiding from the heat. I couldn't even hear them chattering in the trees.

I wanted to ask you what type of screws you used to make the cheater branches. I'm thinking about doing that in our taller trees here. We have no lower limbs as the trees are over 50' tall and more than 60 years old.
06-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #618
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nephew is out mowing the back yard. Soon as he's done, I'll throw some peanuts out for the squirrels. Should have some shots this afternoon.
06-05-2016, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #619

Hopefully that rosemary will still be safe to eat...

06-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #620
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Rupert, is there anytime you've seen squirrels to turn down peanuts? Mine haven't been eating them the last few days. But they don't go to waste because the Jays come get them.
06-06-2016, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #621
Pentaxian

My wife and I spent the past few days at Greenfield Village, a collection of historic buildings assembled by Henry Ford. On Saturday as I walked quickly towards one-more-thing-to-see as their closing time approached, I noticed this guy watching me. I had my Q-7 in my hands at the moment, so barely breaking stride, I took his picture. This is the result of cropping roughly half of the linear dimensions away.

06-08-2016, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #622
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I wanted to ask you what type of screws you used to make the cheater branches. I'm thinking about doing that in our taller trees here. We have no lower limbs as the trees are over 50' tall and more than 60 years old.
Photolady....get the limb you want and size it to your need.....cut off the end flush and drill a small 1/8 inch pilot hole about 2 inches into the end. Take a 3 inch deck screw or sheetrock screw and grind off the head to a sharp point. Drive the sharp point into the tree trunk about 1 1/2 inches then screw the branch onto the screw threads. Need some screws ready to go? PM me and I'll send you some.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sisyphus1978 Quote
Hopefully that rosemary will still be safe to eat...
Should grow like crazy with all that squirrel fertilizer!

Rupert, is there anytime you've seen squirrels to turn down peanuts?
Yes, but it is very rare. Maybe they are like Otis......trying to tell you they want cold beer with their roasted peanuts?

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I noticed this guy watching me. I had my Q-7 in my hands at the moment, so barely breaking stride, I took his picture. This is the result of cropping roughly half of the linear dimensions away.
Nice shooting! Your effort is appreciated in the Squirrel Kingdom!

I'm currently out in Oregon...so posting is sporadic. You guys keep this place alive...not for old Rupert...do it for the squirrels, they need us! No one wants a "squirrel revolt"!

Best Regards! Keep those squirrel shots coming!

06-09-2016, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #623
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'll let you know about the screws shortly. Today I went out and bought some black oil sunflower seeds for my babies. And they scampered up to get their share.

I also bought two TCs this week. A 1.4x and a 1.7x, both AF. I'm going to try stacking them on my M200mm since it's a f3.5 this should work. But even if it doesn't, just using one should give me more reach and less cropping.
06-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #624
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll let you know about the screws shortly. Today I went out and bought some black oil sunflower seeds for my babies.
Black oil sunflower seeds are the most favorite of squirrels. Mine eat about 100# a month. They often prefer them over those peanuts. I buy them in 50# bags at the feed store. You are making some real friends when you feed them those!

Regards!
06-09-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #625
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PhotoLady, these are the screws I use. I simply drill a small pilot hole into the tree and one into the end of the branch. then screw them in.

Double Ended - Screws - Fasteners - Hardware - *The Home Depot
06-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #626
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Black oil sunflower seeds are the most favorite of squirrels. Mine eat about 100# a month. They often prefer them over those peanuts. I buy them in 50# bags at the feed store. You are making some real friends when you feed them those!
I knew they preferred the sunflower seeds because that's what they try to rob from the bird feeders.

Carol, thanks for that. However, I figured that's what Rupert was using and knew I could buy them locally, only to find out he made his own.
06-09-2016, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #627
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A few more shots taken today.

06-10-2016, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #628

We have missed you Rupert on the Sigma telephoto page. This one's for you my friend. Hope everything is well with you.

06-11-2016, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #629

FA50 F1.7

06-11-2016, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #630
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Huxley Quote
FA50 F1.7
FA50!
That guy's nose must have been almost pushing against the glass of your lens!!