Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 07:27 PM - 5 Likes   #1936
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Here's one I saw last year, sitting on the roof of a shed about fifty yards away, not very clear because I was hand-holding a 300mm zoom with 2x converter and would have probably got better results without the converter.
Urban foxes, cool! As for squirrels, bribe them with peanuts, raw, or roasted unsalted, and you can shoot them with macro lens They will knock on your door and windows asking more and more. They will mess with your garden digging holes and stashing nuts there. They will be your pain in the neck.
But, you will get plenty of this :

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
12-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #1937
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. That's how I get so many shots. But feeding them raw peanuts isn't good. They can't digest them and why I only feed them roasted unsalted and sunflower seeds.
12-29-2017, 04:53 AM   #1938
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Yep. That's how I get so many shots. But feeding them raw peanuts isn't good. They can't digest them and why I only feed them roasted unsalted and sunflower seeds.
I did not know about raw peanuts. Very seldom I buy raw, and did not notice any complains. Thank you for the info!

And that how I started getting close to squirrels. Thanks to Rupert.
12-29-2017, 06:02 AM - 2 Likes   #1939
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We do not have grey squirrels in Phoenix but here is distant relative of Otis. May PF remain squirrely forever!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-30-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #1940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Urban foxes, cool! As for squirrels, bribe them with peanuts, raw, or roasted unsalted, and you can shoot them with macro lens They will knock on your door and windows asking more and more. They will mess with your garden digging holes and stashing nuts there. They will be your pain in the neck.
But, you will get plenty of this :
When I first started here, the local squirrel was an outlaw; I put corn out for her, but she spent more time on the birdfeeder than the birds did. She must have died this past summer, and nobody sent a notice to me, because I do see an occasional itinerant squirrel, but nothing regular, even when I put peanuts out. The peanuts are being consumed, but seemingly only by this character and his two buddies. Hopefully one of the itinerants will eventually settle here.

12-30-2017, 06:21 PM - 4 Likes   #1941
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We don't have squirrels here in Australia anymore* so this is the closest I could get..

*Grey squirrels were brought to Australia. However, some managed to escape from captivity and become quite a problem, like most introduced species here [Cane Toads, Rabbits & Foxes]. The government managed to successfully eradicate them in 1922.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-30-2017 at 07:49 PM.
12-31-2017, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #1942
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some part of the charm of Rupert's posts was his ability to take this creature which many people see as a pest and turn it into a charming scalawag.

12-31-2017, 09:44 AM - 3 Likes   #1943
smf
Pentaxian

Together

This was the first time I have seen two red squirrels together on our deck rail.

Warmest wishes to all for the new year!

Handheld K-S2 with smc Pentax-F 1:4.5-5.6 100-300mm
12-31-2017, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #1944
Veteran Member

Hello... nuts, please?
Attached Images

12-31-2017, 01:10 PM - 3 Likes   #1945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Hello... nuts, please?
So did you serve him some?

A snap from a few days ago - Happy New Year!
01-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #1946
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
So did you serve him some?
Did I have a choice? I open the door just a bit because that little bastard tries to get in.
01-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #1947
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I'm quiet...

Maybe he won't see me!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-01-2018, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #1948
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely shoot these. This image survived, as all the others were blurred as they move so fast and oddly. I'd get a perfect body and completely weird head as it looked round fast.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-01-2018, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #1949
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I first started here, the local squirrel was an outlaw; I put corn out for her, but she spent more time on the birdfeeder than the birds did. She must have died this past summer, and nobody sent a notice to me, because I do see an occasional itinerant squirrel, but nothing regular, even when I put peanuts out. The peanuts are being consumed, but seemingly only by this character and his two buddies. Hopefully one of the itinerants will eventually settle here.
Well, a couple of itinerant squirrels did come through our yard today, but they didn't seem to understand the concept of feeder {that blue plastic thing sitting on the snow}, since they spent as much time foraging in the snow as they did eating off the feeder. Eventually they moved on and were replaced by a gang of starlings.

01-03-2018, 07:52 AM - 8 Likes   #1950
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Well, a couple of itinerant squirrels did come through our yard today, but they didn't seem to understand the concept of feeder {that blue plastic thing sitting on the snow}, since they spent as much time foraging in the snow as they did eating off the feeder. Eventually they moved on and were replaced by a gang of starlings.
Well, the squirrels are back, and they brought large friends. I figure the squirrel ran into the deer and said "Let's do lunch - I know a good place."