Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3077 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #2056
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The squirrels and I seem to have a truce. As long as I provide lots of squirrel food, they're staying off the bird feeder.

I have the same truce, squirrels and blue jays on the 12 foot 1x6 rail, for peanuts in the shell, striped sunflower seeds and bread squares, finches chickadees and nuthatches on the hanging black oil sunflower seed feeders, Chickadees, blue jays and woodpeckers on the suet post, and the same on the peanut feeder. Juncos and other sparrows on the ground eating gourmet bird seed along with the squirrels and jays. Notice the jays eat every where, those guys will eat any kind of food you put out, including Salmon and Sweet potato dog food from time to time. Real omnivores those jays.

Everyone in their place and we are all happy.

They'll eat anything.

02-26-2018, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #2057
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ground squirrel, but didn't check which particular species.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #2058
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Everyone in their place and we are all happy.
Even the guy who has to keep everything in stock?

Here, no matter how many peanuts I put out, the jays seem to get most of them.

Last night I put a bag of stale bread on the deck, to separate it from the fresh bread and so I could distribute it after I got up this morning, but by the time I got out there, someone had taken it. Obviously a mammal - none of our birds is large enough, but I don't know which one, nor what it did with the bag.
02-27-2018, 06:55 AM   #2059
Pentaxian

Even the guy who has to keep everything in stock?
I go out and fill the feeders, while doing that I throw balls to the border collies. The border collies come and get me if I don't head out on my own, so it's not like I have a choice. While I'm out I chop kindling for the wood stove and and bring in fire wood. We heat for the most part with wood. It's just part of the routine.

02-27-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #2060
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel sorry for this little guy. He's going to go out foraging later today and, when he returns, he's going to find that his favorite refuge has disappeared. The tree he spends most of his time in has been marked with a big, white, X, signifying it's beyond salvaging and will be removed by the town before it falls. Time to go house hunting!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
03-01-2018, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #2061
Pentaxian

The wire supporting our bird feeder broke several times {build quality - not where it could be chewed on, so we can't blame the squirrels}, so I had to move it to a pole.

Last edited by reh321; 03-01-2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: forgot apostrophe
03-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #2062
Pentaxian

I guess this picture illustrates why I'm not very concerned about queue size - I'm not good at moving subjects .... I did lead him, but I led the entire time, and so the tail never was in the picture the entire time and focus was never quite right the entire time {this is the entire frame - I could probably improve my odds by zooming out a tad}.

03-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #2063
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Last night I put a bag of stale bread on the deck, to separate it from the fresh bread and so I could distribute it after I got up this morning, but by the time I got out there, someone had taken it. Obviously a mammal - none of our birds is large enough, but I don't know which one, nor what it did with the bag.

Raccoon.

They will steal anything that resembles food.
03-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #2064
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

an Otis trainee

'Enforcer' squirrel's reign of terror at backyard bird feeder
03-11-2018, 03:26 PM - 6 Likes   #2065
Pentaxian

A recent squirrel images....

03-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #2066
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Unusual, usually the crows have the upper hand over the squirrels. A squirrel that bold is likely to get noticed by a red tailed hawk. You know who will win that contest.
03-13-2018, 10:47 PM - 2 Likes   #2067
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lookin for Love in all the right places.....

Taken with Nikon D70 body with Nikon AFNikkor 28~105mm Lens.

Thanks for viewing.

TT
03-13-2018, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #2068
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can he see me? I will stay still for a moment and scarper if he comes closer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-16-2018, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2069
Pentaxian

I just discovered that I hadn't posted this picture yet.

My mother had been dying in slow motion for the past year. Every time I posted an image online, I then downloaded it on my tablet and took it to the long term care facility to show her also. I took this on the 6th and showed it to her on the 7th. She said 'cute'. Those were the last words I heard from her. She mercifully died early on the 10th. I am posting this now in remembrance of that last word from her.

The squirrels have been rather testy lately ... maybe mating season is upon us. They are no longer willing to dine side by side. Now, one has to chase the other off the property before settling down to eat.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 09-05-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: reattach photo
03-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #2070

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I just discovered that I hadn't posted this picture yet.

My mother had been dying in slow motion for the past year. Every time I posted an image online, I then downloaded it on my tablet and took it to the long term care facility to show her also. I took this on the 6th and showed it to her on the 7th. She said 'cute'. Those were the last words I heard from her. She mercifully died early on the 10th. I am posting this now in remembrance of that last word from her.

The squirrels have been rather testy lately ... maybe mating season is upon us. They are no longer willing to dine side by side. Now, one has to chase the other off the property before settling down to eat.
I'm so sorry for your loss. No matter how much you prepare, the loss of a loved one is not easy to bear.