Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2018, 09:48 PM - 2 Likes   #2206
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A nice one while testing another zoom (Sigma 28-80 macro) in the park

08-26-2018, 07:13 AM - 3 Likes   #2207

Back for more - No open window

Well Miss Twinky was back again a couple of times last week and I just had to get some more shots
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-26-2018, 07:31 AM - 3 Likes   #2208

Balancing Act

Their sense of balance never ceases to amaze me. How they can run along a fence line and phone lines and such
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-26-2018, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #2209
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Amazing what an *istDS and an S-M-C Tak 135/3.5 can (still) do.

09-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #2210
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
An inquisitive squirrel in the local park.

09-03-2018, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #2211
Pentaxian

This past {U.S.} Labor Day weekend, my wife and I spent Saturday, Sunday, and half of Monday at The Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village living history museum. Each of those days I encountered a local squirrel who wasn't interested in obtaining his "fifteen minutes of fame".

Day #1: On Saturday, my wife were wandering by the athletic field on the edge of the village when I noticed a squirrel investigating the vermin-resistant trash containers, not realizing that museum management includes squirrels in the list of "vermin". He was a block south of us - too far for my 55-300mm WR lens, and right into the sun, so I started walking in his direction, but along the ridge of the hill he was at the bottom of. Finally, after a couple of blocks, I was even with him and took this photo on split-rail fence, What you can't see in the photo is that he was flipping his tail up and down .... the sort of thing I've seen other fox squirrels do when they're trying to solve a problem - I think he was aware I was following him, and the problem he was trying to solve was how to get away from me, so I left after taking this photo.

Days #2 and #3 to come.
Attached Images

09-05-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #2212
Pentaxian

This past {U.S.} Labor Day weekend, my wife and I spent Saturday, Sunday, and half of Monday at The Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village living history museum. Each of those days I encountered a local squirrel who wasn't interested in obtaining his "fifteen minutes of fame".

Day #1: above

Day #2: On Sunday, our daughters stayed for just half the day, so we shared lunch at a cafeteria on the grounds before they left. As I walked away from the cafeteria, I noticed a squirrel running around, so I went over to investigate. He allowed me to take several photos, including the first one below of him digging, but then he scampered up a large tree. By getting some distance from the tree, I got a better angle of view, and was able to see him on one of the branches. He was close enough that my DA 55-300mm WR was able to catch a good image of him - second photo below - apparently he had had enough of me, and was praying that I would go away .... so I did.

Day #3 to come

Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 09-08-2018 at 09:25 AM.
09-06-2018, 02:11 PM - 3 Likes   #2213
Pentaxian

Day #1: see post #2211 above

Day #2: see post #2212 above

Day #3: On Monday, I was wandering through the Village, checking lesser seen areas {such as backyards}, but certainly not expecting to see 'wildlife' in that part of the village, when I suddenly saw a squirrel on the fence between the "rooming house" and "Edison Lab". This was a surprise for both of us - I don't think he expected to see people back there, and I had the camera set for a slow shutter speed, but I quickly dashed off the first photo below, hoping that he wouldn't vibrate too much and that the IBIS would protect me from too much vibration on my part. Then he went looking for a 'hiding place', and I went to see what he had chosen .... except for his tail, this may have been the best he could do. Since we would be leaving in a few hours, I left him in peace.
Attached Images

09-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #2214
Pentaxian

IN reference to our previous conversation on tracking squirrels.

K-5 and A-400

09-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #2215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Day #2: On Sunday, our daughters stayed for just half the day, so we shared lunch at a cafeteria on the grounds before they left. As I walked away from the cafeteria, I noticed a squirrel running around, so I went over to investigate. He allowed me to take several photos, including the first one below of him digging, but then he scampered up a large tree. By getting some distance from the tree, I got a better angle of view, and was able to see him on one of the branches. He was close enough that my DA 55-300mm WR was able to catch a good image of him - second photo below - apparently he had had enough of me, and was praying that I would go away .... so I did.
This is an example of why I'm thinking in terms of a new camera. With my K-30, I usually limit myself to ISO=800 ...... yes, I know I could go higher, but I don't like to do the PP that starts becoming necessary at higher ISO values. This is a photo that came shortly before the second photo I showed for "Day #2". With ISO=800, shutter speed topped out at 1/250, and his little paws were too quick {at least he is in focus, his last few steps were parallel to me, and that gave plenty of time for the camera to focus}.
Attached Images

09-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #2216
Pentaxian

Recently I visited a local college campus, and spent half an hour following a young looking squirrel.

In the third photo, he seems to be trying to figure out what I am.
Attached Images

09-22-2018, 05:04 AM   #2217
Pentaxian

That's the "Dude, did you bring peanuts in the shell?" look.
09-22-2018, 05:31 AM   #2218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's the "Dude, did you bring peanuts in the shell?" look.
I can usually count on a few good photos there because the young women do feed these guys - much to the disgust of administration. Supposedly, one climbed the leg of a maintenance worker while looking for food. Every Fall, students are greeted by "don't feed the squirrels" posters provided by the biology department; I were ever caught feeding them, I would instantly become visitor-not-welcome, even though my wife does work there {she retires next May}.
09-22-2018, 06:42 AM   #2219
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When I got sick back in May, my squirrels started coming inside the house. They found a hole in the screen where the exhaust fan was in the kitchen and proceeded to help themselves to my nephews bread. Then they would travel through the house to my bedroom looking for me. I was too sick to get up to feed them. This is why when I came home after my ill fated trip to Jacksonville my brothers said I couldn't feed my squirrels any more. I said if I fed them they wouldn't do that, and they said what if I got sick again they would try again to come in the house, I said not if you feed them. They vetoed that idea. Boy's are brats!! Especially brothers!! LOL
09-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #2220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
..... Boy's are brats!! Especially brothers!! LOL
My sister would agree with you, 100%!