Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3079 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #2371
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Not bad for a chunk of 1980s Russian glass!
How's it work if you put it on a Pentax? JK!

No, not bad for for a chunk of 80s Russian glass at all.

02-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #2372
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Joking aside, M42 on Pentax is always a little tricky because the only way to do it is to fit an M42 to PK adapter into the throat of the bayonet mount, you can then screw M42 lenses into that, but changing back to PK needs a tool and can be annoyingly difficult if you try to hurry it.
02-26-2019, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #2373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Joking aside, M42 on Pentax is always a little tricky because the only way to do it is to fit an M42 to PK adapter into the throat of the bayonet mount, you can then screw M42 lenses into that, but changing back to PK needs a tool and can be annoyingly difficult if you try to hurry it.
I have enough adapters that I can 'assign' one to each M42 lens. I remove the spring that keeps the adapter locked into the mount, so the whole assembly {lens + adapter} comes off together. Essentially, the lens + adapter is "just another" K-mount lens.
02-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #2374
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have enough adapters that I can 'assign' one to each M42 lens. I remove the spring that keeps the adapter locked into the mount, so the whole assembly {lens + adapter} comes off together. Essentially, the lens + adapter is "just another" K-mount lens.
That's why I didn't understand why Marcus said what he did. I know quite a few people here who use the lens he's talking about on their Pentax cameras.

02-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #2375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an original Asahi Pentax-branded adapter, and I always understood that the correct method for using it was to screw the adapter onto the M42 lens first, and then just bayonet it onto the camera, which prevents having to mess about in the camera’s throat. Also, the Pentax adapters are simple to remove without a tool.
02-27-2019, 12:30 AM   #2376
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I have an original Asahi Pentax-branded adapter, and I always understood that the correct method for using it was to screw the adapter onto the M42 lens first, and then just bayonet it onto the camera, which prevents having to mess about in the camera’s throat. Also, the Pentax adapters are simple to remove without a tool.
That's what I always did when I used them in my film days. And what I've read on here that others do with any M42 mount lenses. Also, the best to use is the Pentax adapter.
02-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #2377
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I do the same with all of my M42 lenses. I even go so far as to place a small bit of Loctite 242 (removable) to keep the adapter on the lens.

M42 to PK adapters are cheap, so it makes sense to fit each lens an have a PK rear cap, which is consistent with all my regular bayonet lenses.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-27-2019 at 09:39 AM.
02-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #2378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I do the same with all of my M42 lenses. I even go so far as to place a small bit of Loctite 242 (removable) to keep the adapter on the lens.

M42 to PK adapters are cheap, so it makes sense to fit each lens an have a PK rear cap, which is consistent with all my regular bayonet lenses.
I have a number of these adapters, but the only one that works properly is the Pentax one. The others have an outflange which increases the registry distance and prevents the lenses from focussing to infinity.
02-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #2379
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've only ever used the Pentax one the "official" way with it in the throat of the camera. I was aware that you could do it the other way, I've had a couple of lenses turn up with M42 adapters stuck on them, but I've always been worried that they might get stuck in the camera's throat - they were designed to work that way, and the catch for the adapter isn't accessible when a lens is screwed in.

I don't use M42 lenses on a Pentax anyway - I use a Canon as my test bed for most lenses (Pentax K, Sony A, Nikon and Canon are the exceptions since I own DSLRs in these fittings) and the Eos M42 adapters are cheap and have focus confirm chips, and can be fitted and removed very easily since they are an out flange design, Canon Eos flange focal distance is a couple of mm less than M42. They also have a rim to press in the stopdown pin on the lens, which is something the Pentax adapters can't usually do.
02-27-2019, 09:14 PM   #2380
Pentaxian

Easy for you perhaps. I always had troubles removing one - regardless of who it was made by {most of mine are official Pentax ones}. I don't think this really matters as long as you can find something that works for you; I mentioned how I do it just to put that option "on the table" for whomever finds it to be useful.
02-28-2019, 12:42 AM   #2381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes indeed, no slight intended. There’s always more than one way to skin a ... 😀
02-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #2382
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Yes indeed, no slight intended. There’s always more than one way to skin a ... 😀
?
03-01-2019, 03:59 PM - 3 Likes   #2383
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Can we get back to posting squirrels now? I'm playing the Single in Challenge again this month using my new to me HD 55-300mm WR lens and had a request from a fellow SIC player that I shoot the whole month in squirrels. Here's the first day entry.

03-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #2384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Can we get back to posting squirrels now? I'm playing the Single in Challenge again this month using my new to me HD 55-300mm WR lens and had a request from a fellow SIC player that I shoot the whole month in squirrels. Here's the first day entry.

You are very brave even thinking of a challenge like that. I have a squirrel feeder set up in the backyard, and even with that I'm not sure I could take photos for very many consecutive days. At some point they all start looking the same - there are only so many ways to stuff your face.
03-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #2385
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You are very brave even thinking of a challenge like that. I have a squirrel feeder set up in the backyard, and even with that I'm not sure I could take photos for very many consecutive days. At some point they all start looking the same - there are only so many ways to stuff your face.
I have a big backyard with grass and trees, and flowers, and the bird bath so I have other opportunities to take photos of them in other situations as they search for food, or get a drink or run up a tree, or sit in the fork of a tree and stare at me, or run across the fence. It won't be hard to capture 31 days of squirrel shots in different poses.