Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #2791
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
He looks like he's already been packing it on for the winter. I don't think I've seen a squirrel that ...healthy.

Kirk B.
I live in a lush land; which is why I wait until Thanksgiving - to give them time to fatten off natural stuff until it is gone.
The freeze and ‘die off’ may have come a tad later than usual this year.

11-24-2020, 01:44 AM   #2792
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just don't turn your back on him. 😃
11-24-2020, 11:22 AM - 3 Likes   #2793
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Balanced

Precious cargo

11-24-2020, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #2794
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGaby Quote
Balanced

Precious cargo
Yes, Squirrels show their talent amongst tree limbs.
I tell my cats that they really don't want to chase Squirrels - firemen no longer rescue cats when they discover that they cannot match what Squirrels routinely do 'up there'.

11-26-2020, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #2795
Pentaxian

Today, I finally filled the Squirrel feeder, and since it was a holiday, I used all whole peanuts {instead of the "Squirrel and Critter" feed - mostly corn} that I usually use.
Here I show a Squirrel 'chowing down', and one waiting for his turn.
Attached Images

11-26-2020, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #2796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As any following this thread will discover, as if they didn't know already, squirrels spend a LOT of time eating.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
11-27-2020, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #2797
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As any following this thread will discover, as if they didn't know already, squirrels spend a LOT of time eating.
And today they are intently at work.

Attached Images

11-27-2020, 02:23 PM - 3 Likes   #2798
Forum Member

Too close to home but OK ^_^

Hello
Attached Images

11-29-2020, 10:44 AM - 4 Likes   #2799
Pentaxian

Empty

It smell good

11-30-2020, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #2800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was looking around to see where the best place would be to install a squirrel feeder when it occurred to me that in the six years I have lived in this house, I have never seen one squirrel. Raccoons, Possums, Skunks, Deer, Owls, even one small black bear....no squirrels. We do have many neighborhood cats though. The neighbor behind me is a birder and he has his feeders out and I see lots of birds, just no squirrels.
11-30-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #2801
smf
Pentaxian

In a backyard in Midland, Michigan.

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2j9Lsgg]Rabbit And Squirrel[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/stumfrohm2011/]Stuart Frohm[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">
11-30-2020, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #2802
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
I was looking around to see where the best place would be to install a squirrel feeder when it occurred to me that in the six years I have lived in this house, I have never seen one squirrel. Raccoons, Possums, Skunks, Deer, Owls, even one small black bear....no squirrels. We do have many neighborhood cats though. The neighbor behind me is a birder and he has his feeders out and I see lots of birds, just no squirrels.
We live in a modern "open concept" house - entry hallway, dinette, living room, then glass sliding door to the deck - where we can see the back deck from the entry hallway.
The house then sits about ten feet off a wooded hillside that leads up to the Bypass. The Squirrel and Bird Feeders are on the edge of the hillside.
I choose to fill the Feeders once per day, although I could fill the Squirrel Feeder several times.
Our Squirrels show interest in both Feeders, although we have a "Squirrel proof" Bird Feeder that gives them problems.
We sometimes attract Deer and Raccoons - although the Deer were coming for ivy on the hillside before we put up the feeders - sometimes they play 'pinata' with the bird feeder.
This year - for the first time in the seven years we have lived here - the Squirrels have wandered up onto the deck - perhaps because I now fill a 16 oz plastic cup on the deck and then transfer food to the Feeders.
Yesterday, while we were having Sunday dinner, we noticed several Squirrels seeming to come up to the door and look in at us.
I took the below photos from a rocking chair just on the living room side of the glass door.

added: our ten-year old cat looked for a quieter place to rest, but our fourteen-month kitten cat was very excited to be within a dozen feet or less of these strange creatures.
Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 11-30-2020 at 09:38 AM.
12-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #2803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do all squirrels get cold hands?
12-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #2804
Pentaxian

Today I noticed a Squirrel resting on a branch above the Squirrel Feeder.
When he saw me in the window aiming my camera at him, he moved higher - then really high.
Attached Images

12-07-2020, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #2805
Pentaxian

We have a 'squirrel proof' Bird Feeder; if a Squirrel is supported by the outer cage, his weight pulls down the cage, and closes off the entrances to food.
The entrances seem to be too far for him to reach them by hanging by his toes from the branch supporting the feeder.

I watched a few days ago as a Squirrel tested it. His weight did pull it down; the cage is too hard for him to chew through.
He went through this cycle several times: pull down cage, then sit above it and ponder the situation.
Attached Images