Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3077 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Lol, I have lived in the backwoods and never knew there were black squirrels.
They make it up as far as us sometimes, we get one, and then we never see him/her again.

Few more of the locals...

01-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #47
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Fantastic squirrel shots Norm...as always! You are one of Otis' favorite shooters. Black squirrels, white Carolina squirrels, red squirrels, gray squirrels........they're all handsome!...and they all taste like chicken!

Regards!
01-25-2015, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Are you talking to me?

01-25-2015, 07:42 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

I was out a bit today, we finally got some sun.

01-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys put me to shame...and Otis is constantly reminding me of it. Great squirrel shooting...gotta love it!
Regards!
01-26-2015, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

ON the topic of black squirrels, these guys are really common in Toronto, I've seen two up here. This guy turned up on my deck one day, and was never seen again. I suspect he came up on a truck from Toronto, and couldn't handle the weather, like most things that come up here from Toronto in the winter.

01-27-2015, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter

01-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
ON the topic of black squirrels, these guys are really common in Toronto, I've seen two up here. This guy turned up on my deck one day, and was never seen again. I suspect he came up on a truck from Toronto, and couldn't handle the weather, like most things that come up here from Toronto in the winter.
I guess they turn black (evil) north of the boarder
01-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually there were many black squirrels when we had more forest. The more they spread out the more they adapted fur-wise and over time we got various shades of gray, brown etc. In a stunning act of reverse evolution a lot of the grey ones in the cities are going black now. There was a big scientific article on this the other day online. I found it very interesting. They were citing is as a legitimate cases of reverse evolution something they didn't think could happen till recently. They think all the buildings in the cities are acting like the woodlands used to.They're adapting back to the way they looked back then, before all the cities and red squirrels are fading out, becoming more gray brown as they interbreed with the grey ones which are dominant. The black squirrels are the grey brown squirrels. Their fur is just going darker again over time. There's something else, something about birds that have gotten bones back that they haven't had since the dino days. The scientists are all excited because they think it proves reverse evolution a real thing, not just supposition. Apparently it might be possible for things to reverse evolve after all.

Last edited by magkelly; 01-27-2015 at 11:11 AM.
01-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #55
Veteran Member

That Big <$&*%g Michigan Squirrel !!

Today I lifted the hood of the Caddy to do an oil change.

About a bag full of wild bird sunflower seed showered down all over the engine.
Until I realized it was bird seed, I can say I was rather scared.

Photo 1 shows the remains I caught on the cardboard.

Photo 2 shows what happened, he gnawed a hole in the birdseed box and somehow pried the under-hood panel down and put almost a bag of sunflower seed in the gap.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Actually there were many black squirrels when we had more forest. The more they spread out the more they adapted fur-wise and over time we got various shades of gray, brown etc. In a stunning act of reverse evolution a lot of the grey ones in the cities are going black now. There was a big scientific article on this the other day online. I found it very interesting. They were citing is as a legitimate cases of reverse evolution something they didn't think could happen till recently. They think all the buildings in the cities are acting like the woodlands used to.They're adapting back to the way they looked back then, before all the cities and red squirrels are fading out, becoming more gray brown as they interbreed with the grey ones which are dominant. The black squirrels are the grey brown squirrels. Their fur is just going darker again over time. There's something else, something about birds that have gotten bones back that they haven't had since the dino days. The scientists are all excited because they think it proves reverse evolution a real thing, not just supposition. Apparently it might be possible for things to reverse evolve after all.
Some of that is due to ~3 different species east of the Mississippi. Grey squirrel, fox squirrel and red squirrel are all "game" species. They all have various color phases as well. There is a tassel eared species in the southwest. In California there is a scraggly tree squirrel looking thing that is actually a ground squirrel.
01-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Photo 2 shows what happened, he gnawed a hole in the birdseed box and somehow pried the under-hood panel down and put almost a bag of sunflower seed in the gap.
Wombat, once they have found your car, it is only a matter of time until they go after the wiring......they ate up my Jeep wiring at an expense of over $1K......the first time, and even worse the 2nd.

I suggest you get some old socks, put a handful of mothballs in them and tie them under the hood of your car to keep them out. I was at the dealership a couple of months back and they towed in a new Caddy....squirrels ate the wiring harness......$2700. to replace it! So far, the mothballs in a sock have been effective.

Otis sells Squirrel Insurance over on E-Bay and swears it will keep squirrels away from your vehicles.......but I have more faith in the mothballs!

Regards!
01-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Thanks Rupert,
I did that and put some in a tray underneath.
I think the only place he can get in the garage is through the gaps at the top of the old type slat doors. Not easy to seal those.

Don't these squirrels hibernate?
Below 10F this morning, he is out with his wife, prancing around in the snow.

Ps I read they don't like talk radio so I will try Diane Rhheeeee... this morning then a dose of R-r-Rush.... this afternoon
01-28-2015, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't these squirrels hibernate?
This is as close as they come to hibernation.....inside the feeders!

Ps I read they don't like talk radio so I will try Diane Rhheeeee... this morning then a dose of R-r-Rush.... this afternoon

Don't do it!
Either one of those shows will drive them insane...and the last thing you want is a pack of wild insane squirrels running around your place!

Spring and Fall are the worst times for them to damage your car...they try to build a nest in the engine compartment and then eat up the wiring. Keep those socks of mothballs in there! I was told by an ex auto worker that the wiring is pulled through the harnesses with peanut oil as a lubricant......don't know if this is true, but I do know they love to chew it to pieces.
Regards!
02-03-2015, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Why does this one make me think of Lucy holding the ball for Charlie Brown to kick?