Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #46
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Sony is a leader in HD video and the A900 was crushed by the Canon 5DII because Canon beat them to the market with HD video in a DSLR.
Panasonic and Sony are far ahead of Canon and other camera companies with 4K video . Canon is still using the same 18mp APS-C sensor for five straight years and the $1,700 GH4 is better than the $10,000 Canon 1D C for shooting cinema 4K video so Canon lowered the price from $12,000 after the GH4 came out.

06-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon now has a 20mp sensor with better af for shooting movies than Panasonic has. I agree with everything else you say. That sensor is in the 70d and the t5i.
06-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Panasonic and Sony are far ahead of Canon and other camera companies with 4K video . Canon is still using the same 18mp APS-C sensor for five straight years and the $1,700 GH4 is better than the $10,000 Canon 1D C for shooting cinema 4K video so Canon lowered the price from $12,000 after the GH4 came out.
It's true that Canon has the same 18Mp sensor for five years, but D600 is still the best selling DSLR worldwide, with this sensor. And IMO Canon also has the best jpeg engine.
06-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
It's true that Canon has the same 18Mp sensor for five years, but D600 is still the best selling DSLR worldwide, with this sensor. And IMO Canon also has the best jpeg engine.
The D600 ?
QuoteQuote:
Nikon has revealed that it allocated ¥1.8bn (~ $17.6m / £10.5m) to cover the cost of warranty repairs and replacements for its D600 SLR in the last financial year (ending March 31st 2014). The camera has been plagued since its launch by a tendency to accumulate oil spots on its sensor, resulting in Nikon offering to replace the shutter mechanism or even the entire camera for free if necessary. In an investor relations statement on its website, the company says that it is taking the matter very seriously, and 'will be taking steps to restore confidence in the Nikon brand'.
Nikon sets aside 1.8 billion yen to cover D600 warranty repairs: Digital Photography Review

06-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Canon 600D.
06-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Build quality yes.

But optical? I know the 31mm f1.8 is a classic, but everything I've read about the new 35mm has raved.
I have seen thousands of images and own the Fuji 35mm f1.4.
From an IQ stand point, I would put it against any ~30-40mm and not feel like I am missing out.

Oh and its $700 cheaper than the 31mm and a half stop faster.
06-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I have to disagree. I have been watching Sony for a long time. When I decided I was leaving Canon (5D original) I was planning on moving to the A900 and Zeiss glass.

1. Sony missed the HD revolution with the A900. The A900 is an excellent camera, but Sony missed the market while Canon hit a home run with the 5DII and HD.
2. Sony has left the A-mount in limbo. Is SLT technology a temporary technology? I don't think Sony knows.
3. NEX was designed as a consumer grade product. Sony has admitted that they miss judged the market and demand for premium mirrorless. This was why there were no premium lenses for the NEX line for so long, and why they used the horrible touch screen menu system.
LOL - I think you missed the point. Sony was and is primarily an image sensor manufacturer. Of course they made lots of mistakes in their consumer cameras - particularly when they were copying from Canon's playbook. I was using the Canon 1D Mk III, 1D Mk IV, 1DS Mk II (or was it III I can't remember) and there is no way I would consider Sony to be a worthy replacement for a pro camera.

Don't really understand your point about the NEX though. I think you are on a rant there. Yes, it's "consumer grade" - so what? It sold very well. Even so, the Zeiss 24mm was one the first lenses released on the system. Sony then stopped releasing Zeiss lenses because they were planning the full frame line and they were saving Zeiss for that. They did release some rather nice E mount primes though - I love the 35mm and 50mm f1.8.

Not sure what you mean by "premium mirrorless" though. Leica? I wouldn't consider NEX serious competition to Leica, even though many people including myself used Leica lenses on NEX bodies.

As for the "horrible touch screen menu system", you've posted about this several times. As a "consumer", I had zero problems with it and in fact rather liked it. It's just a menu of icons with sub-menus. What's so horrible about that? I actually find the Canon system of multiple menus in different buttons confusing - even on their compact cameras.

06-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #53
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Canon 600D.
Clueless consumers eating up that entry level DSLR with five year old 1.6x crop 18mp sensor.
06-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Clueless consumers eating up that entry level DSLR with five year old 1.6x crop 18mp sensor.
Hmmm. No comment on this.
06-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #55
Veteran Member

That is a very pompous thing to say...most people in this world can't afford a DSLR, let alone anything more expensive than entry level.

What is very clueless is trolling a Pentax board when you obviously dislike everything about Pentax.

Get a life
06-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There aren't bad cameras out there at this point. Everyone of them is capable of taking great photos. Differences abound however, with regard to ergonomics, ease of use.

Jogiba has drunk the 4000K video kool-aid. Unfortunately (or fortunately) on this forum, there are more still photographers than videographers and still photos taken from a 4000K video stream don't measure up to RAW files from any large sensor camera -- not even the crappy sensored Canon cameras.

Last edited by Rondec; 06-04-2014 at 02:12 PM.
06-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There aren't bad cameras out there at this point. Everyone of them is capable of taking great photos. Differences abound however, with regard to ergonomics, ease of use.
Agree.

At one stage, that Canon sensor was arguably the best crop sensor in the world - it is still perfectly adequate for consumer use.

Everyone makes mistakes. Canon unfortunately cut R&D drastically post GFC - for example they closed the Sydney R&D lab (a huge facility that employed lots of people - someone I know is still searching for work years later).

To me, Canon has been in a funk lately - I do hope they see their way out of their current situation into a better and brighter future.
06-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #58
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That is a very pompous thing to say...most people in this world can't afford a DSLR, let alone anything more expensive than entry level.

What is very clueless is trolling a Pentax board when you obviously dislike everything about Pentax.

Get a life
I have more Pentax gear than YOU ever had.

---------- Post added 06-04-14 at 05:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Jogiba has drunk the 4000K video kool-aid. Unfortunately (or fortunately) on this forum, there are more still photographers than videographers and still photos taken from a 4000K video stream don't measure up to RAW files from any large sensor camera -- not even the crappy sensored Canon cameras.
And YOU are living in the past .
06-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #59
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote

Get a life
he's spent a fortune on pentax gear, so i don't think that he dislikes pentax... he just wants the very latest tech, and pentax, canon, et al., have failed to deliver that.

the future is with evf's and non-proprietary lens mounting systems, or at least lens mounting systems that have good adapter availability... will canon, pentax, nikon, etc. ever be able to deliver that.
06-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I have more Pentax gear than YOU ever had.
My comment about YOU being pompous and needing to get a life still stands