Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alpha Dog: How Sony Created the Most Innovative Camera Brand in Under a Decade

I am not normally a fan of PetaPixel, but decided to share this article to annoy the Sony haters

Seriously, I actually found it an interesting read. i wasn't a Sony fan till recently, so knew nothing about their pre-NEX history. If you had asked me whether I would have seriously considered buying Sony cameras 5 years ago, I would have laughed at you.

06-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I am not normally a fan of PetaPixel, but decided to share this article to annoy the Sony haters

Seriously, I actually found it an interesting read. i wasn't a Sony fan till recently, so knew nothing about their pre-NEX history. If you had asked me whether I would have seriously considered buying Sony cameras 5 years ago, I would have laughed at you.

Yeh, I spent a lot of time looking at the early Alphas before deciding to go with Pentax. Since then, Sony has certainly been the most innovative of the major companies, in a scatter-gun sort of way. My guess is they've picked a winner ... by betting on every horse. The other companies are spooked.
06-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yeh, I spent a lot of time looking at the early Alphas before deciding to go with Pentax. Since then, Sony has certainly been the most innovative of the major companies, in a scatter-gun sort of way. My guess is they've picked a winner ... by betting on every horse. The other companies are spooked.
Given that I own at least one camera across nearly every product line/segment APART from Alpha mount (I currently have two Action Cams, WX80, HX50, RX100, NEX-5n, NEX-F3, NEX6, A7r) I wouldn't call their approach scattergun at all - they seem to be uniquely targeting me and addressing gaps in my requirements

I nearly bought the QX series as well, until I discovered they don't shoot Raw.

Still not a fan of the A-mount cameras however, Sony is no match for Canon or Nikon in the high end DSLR segment.

I don't think Sony's approach is random at all. Being a second tier manufacturer, they know they can't compete directly with Canon and Nikon (they tried, and kind of failed). By identifying gaps and addressing them with multiple innovative products, Sony is arguably better positioned to survive the post DSLR world.

The other manufacturers are also doing what Sony is doing, except perhaps less ambitiously and less successfully. Pentax and Q, Nikon 1, Canon EOS M plus that Instagram camera that I have already forgotten. Didn't Nikon even release an Android camera?
06-02-2014, 01:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I don't think Sony's approach is random at all. Being a second tier manufacturer, they know they can't compete directly with Canon and Nikon (they tried, and kind of failed). By identifying gaps and addressing them with multiple innovative products, Sony is arguably better positioned to survive the post DSLR world.
Hmmm I'm still not convinced by the Sony juggernaut...

I think the Apple/Sony comparison is interesting here. Both decided they wanted to be market leaders and pursued it with a frightening amount of enthusiasm, but whereas Sony seems to be jumping at shadows (in a very confident, slightly ADHD kind of way) in terms of market strategy and product release, Apple has a very small portfolio of clearly targeted products. Apple knows what it wants you to want. Sony can't remember what it had for breakfast.

For instance, A-mount APS with a reflex mirror, A-mount full-frame with a reflex mirror, A-mount APS with SLT, A-mount full-frame with SLT, APS mirror less, APS full-frame. And then there's the RX series that (kind of) sit in parallel... I don't think Sony is identifying gaps and addressing them with innovative products. I think they're designing innovative products and throwing them at a wall, hoping that some stick will stick and find a user base.

The benefit of this kind of approach is that with so many (partially) distinct product lines on the market, surely they will find users for at least some. The issue is two-fold - first, the R&D costs must be immense, and Sony isn't in the best financial position to begin with, and second, throwing out a new system every two years does nothing to build the devoted, almost religious fan base that brands like Apple enjoy (and even Canon/Nikon to a degree).

06-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If you've got a K3 or K5 (and variants) or 645D or Z are you shooting with a Sony anyway? If only Pentax had an A6000 equivalent for a second camera. Even if it needed an adaptor I wouldn't mind.
06-02-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read that article, too, but I have to say it's a gearhead's view of Sony, even though there's no denying the technical talent available to the company. The comparison with Apple spoken about has one huge flaw: Apple is highly focussed and makes a lot of money from its products.
06-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I read that article, too, but I have to say it's a gearhead's view of Sony, even though there's no denying the technical talent available to the company. The comparison with Apple spoken about has one huge flaw: Apple is highly focussed and makes a lot of money from its products.
Do you mean my Apple/Sony comparison? Because that's exactly what I said...
06-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It's their sensor which is in other major brands bodies that impresses me.

06-02-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sony has shown that you can make a splash by throwing a lot of money around in a sector. Not sure it made a whole lot of sense based on the returns they have gotten, but they certainly have been able to churn out new bodies and glass at a pretty good pace.
06-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every coin has two sides. Apple has focused on a very small number of products, very good ones, and have success. But this strategy left a lot of room for competitors with a more diversified range of product. Sony photo strategy is on the opposite side. On short term, Apple strategy is successful, but on long term, maybe Sony will gain. And everybody can see what is happening in the ''war'' between Apple and Samsung. Samsung came from behind and is slowly but steady winning ground.

I've tested a Sony A7 the previous week. Better said, I've tried to test, because was very difficult for me to hold this camera in my big hands. I think that ergonomical, this design is certainly flawed. Especially the grip. At least for other markets except the Asian ones. I really can't imagine how a tall man, can use this camera with a big, and heavy lens, like a 70-200mm 2.8, or bigger. Same day I have tested a Canon D1X with a 400mm 2.8 lens, a 8 pound, 2 feet long monster. I feel like it was made for me (unfortunately not for my pocket).
06-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Every coin has two sides. Apple has focused on a very small number of products, very good ones, and have success. But this strategy left a lot of room for competitors with a more diversified range of product. Sony photo strategy is on the opposite side. On short term, Apple strategy is successful, but on long term, maybe Sony will gain. And everybody can see what is happening in the ''war'' between Apple and Samsung. Samsung came from behind and is slowly but steady winning ground.

I've tested a Sony A7 the previous week. Better said, I've tried to test, because was very difficult for me to hold this camera in my big hands. I think that ergonomical, this design is certainly flawed. Especially the grip. At least for other markets except the Asian ones. I really can't imagine how a tall man, can use this camera with a big, and heavy lens, like a 70-200mm 2.8, or bigger. Same day I have tested a Canon D1X with a 400mm 2.8 lens, a 8 pound, 2 feet long monster. I feel like it was made for me (unfortunately not for my pocket).
Your post is flawed.

06-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I read that article, too, but I have to say it's a gearhead's view of Sony, even though there's no denying the technical talent available to the company.
A gearhead's view of Sony, combined with a sloppy history of Minolta. (Some of the "firsts" listed for Minolta range from debatable -- they're first only if you attach unstated conditions to their definitions -- to just outright wrong.)

Don't get me wrong, I think Sony makes interesting products, but it's not a great article by any means.

Last edited by g026r; 06-02-2014 at 12:09 PM.
06-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Your post is flawed.
Ergonomics are pretty individual specific. That said, neither one of the photos you posted looks like a comfortable situation for shooting. Small cameras with large lenses can be quite uncomfortable.
06-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Ergonomics are pretty individual specific. That said, neither one of the photos you posted looks like a comfortable situation for shooting. Small cameras with large lenses can be quite uncomfortable.
The problem for YOU is not the size but the name S O N Y .
06-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Your post is flawed.
My post reflects my experience. Maybe mine is different from yours, but that not an argument. But looking at your photos I see that you cannot put your fingers around the grip in landscape position, exactly what I have seen when I've tested.

And by the way, I've used this Canon handheld, for about 20 shots, and was OK for me. I don't think that I can do the same with A7 and a big lens. If someone can, I'm happy for him(her).