Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
Banned

LG G3 smartphone with 4K and 5.5" 2560x1440 IPS display !

QuoteQuote:
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., June 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- LG Electronics has taken the wraps off of its highly anticipated new premium flagship smartphone, the LG G3. Already well received by key wireless carriers around the globe, the LG G3 will begin rolling out this summer with more than 170 wireless carrier partners worldwide, including major U.S. carriers and retailers, such as T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile specialty stores.

The world's first smartphone with Laser Auto Focus and Tap to Shoot, the LG G3 allowed them take picture-perfect shots using its 13-megapixel rear-facing camera with OIS+ technology.
LG Takes Wraps Off Its Latest Premium Smartphone, The Simple And... -- ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., June 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --

QuoteQuote:
LG has announced the G3, succeeding last year's G2 as the Korean manufacturer's flagship smartphone. The new model's headline feature is its screen. The 5.5-inch True HD-IPS+ screen comes with a whopping 2560 x 1440 pixels (QHD) resolution which, at 534 ppi, makes it one of the pixel-densest current displays.

While the screen is great for viewing high-resolution images there are also improvements in the image capture department. With a 13MP CMOS-sensor, OIS and fast F2.0 lens the G2's basic camera specification has not changed too much, but like the Samsung Galaxy S5 the G3 now uses additional phase detection sensors to speed up the autofocus. The latter is also helped by a new laser-AF system that is capable of measuring the subject-to-camera distance. A dual-LED flash should provide natural white balance when capturing flash images.

The G3 also offers plenty of processing power to run the Android 4.4.2 operating system and LG's redesigned Optimus UI. A Snapdragon 801 SoC with a 2.5GHz quad-core Krait 400 processor is combined with 2GB RAM on the version with 16GB of internal storage and 3GB RAM on the 32GB variant. For those who need more memory to store images, music and other files there is microSD-card support for up to 128GB. The 3,000mAh battery is user-removable and there is an optional back panel that enables wireless charging.

Key Specification

5.5-inch True HD-IPS+ LCD QHD (2560 x 1440 pixels) display (534 ppi)
Snapdragon 801 SoC with 2.5GHz quad-core Krait 400 processor
16GB storage/2GB RAM or 32GB storage/3GB RAM
microSD up to 128GB
Android 4.4.2 KitKat with Optimus UI
NFC
13MP 1/3-inch CMOS sensor with OIS
F2.0
Dual-LED-flash
Laser/phase detect AF
2MP, F2.0 front camera
3,000mAh user-removable battery
Wireless charging with optional back panel
LG releases G3 with QHD screen and laser-AF: Connect

This looks like the best specs so far in a 4K smartphone.

Last edited by jogiba; 06-07-2014 at 08:18 AM.
06-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow. I just ordered a 27" monitor with those same specifications.

I was really happy when I moved from ~230ppi to ~300ppi or so. I gotta think there's diminishing returns though.
06-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the data density on that thing is insane... sounds like the diminishing return is that you need really good eyesight to take full advantage of the screen.

lcd's are not like the old crt displays, you only have one perfect resolution setting, if you don't match that it's usually a big step down in pq.

i'd sure like to try it tho!
06-09-2014, 03:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great looking specs there and nice design. I wonder why you have to opt for the larger storage to get the 3g of RAM? Seems odd. (Other than a marketing thing to force you into the more expensive, superfluous built in storage to get more RAM)

LG is making some really nice phones.

Jason

06-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Great looking specs there and nice design. I wonder why you have to opt for the larger storage to get the 3g of RAM? Seems odd. (Other than a marketing thing to force you into the more expensive, superfluous built in storage to get more RAM)

LG is making some really nice phones.

Jason
I think for shooting 4K the larger storage makes sense even if you use a 128GB micro SDXC card. I agree it's a nice looking phone.

06-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The two photos you posted of the phone, besides the color, are two different designs...which is the real one?

Jason
06-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know it's not the same everywhere in the world, but here in Europe you can get a phone "free" with your mobile telecom provider. My Sony Xperia Z1 was free with my two year extension. Imagine choosing between a "real" camera for a big bucket of money. Or a phone, with even better camera-capabilities, which people need/want anyway even if they do go for the camera.

Camera manufacturers need to think of something clever.

06-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The two photos you posted of the phone, besides the color, are two different designs...which is the real one?

Jason
It looks like there are different designs.
06-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks like the second graphic of the phone lacks the dual flash and the laser focus. Maybe it was in inaccurate rendering of what the final release came to be?

Anyway, cool phone.

By the way, the Final, semi-final and one of the round of 16 World cup matches will be broadcast in 4K. The future is here.

Jason