Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Same ISO range, same sensor size - I guess the Panasonic and the Sony share the same sensor.

07-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Same ISO range, same sensor size - I guess the Panasonic and the Sony share the same sensor.
The one in the Panny is a MOS, not CMOS and purported to be Panasonic's own.
08-02-2014, 03:37 AM   #18

I have one, and is a great camera, great for pictures and for video.
07-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A friend purchased a DMC-FZ1000 3 months ago and just took it on 2 trips, to Italy and Morocco.
She is quite unhappy with the camera
While she has made some cracking good photos on the trips, her complaints are:
Too big for its performance.
Can't use DOF to differentiate the background.
A lot of photos are out of focus ( I saw many examples particularly in low light.)
The manual focus ring is wierd, and too difficult to use, as it is not directly coupled to the lens.
So she can't focus it on the subject she wants.
I tried the manual focus and agreed, the manual focus has a mind of its own and is most disconcerting.
The camera was returned for warranty service of the focus issue but has been returned as "in specification".

I would appreciate any comments about this camera that I can pass on.
She wants to change it however it was very costly for what it is, I think she will blow a lot of its value.

07-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #20
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Too big for its performance.
too open to interpretation, not specific enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Can't use DOF to differentiate the background.
put it in manual mode or maybe aperture priority mode, and shoot it with the widest aperture that the lens will allow.

but really, it's a baby-sensor camera with a long lens, thin dof isn't a good reason for buying a camera like this.

doesn't sound like there is much that can be done about the focusing issues.
07-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can get some sort of bokeh with almost anything if you put the subject at as close to minimum focusing distance as possible with a far background, wide open. Tedious, though.

I did consider buying Samsung's equivalent of a fast fifty for my Mini NX-1 (same sensor form factor) but who has fine art pretensions with these little things?

They are what they are. ☺

Last edited by clackers; 07-05-2015 at 12:17 PM.
07-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks osv and clackers
User is retired academic in art field, travelling to photograph architecture from antiquity.
She typically takes long shots of the buildings also close ups of features and then indoor photos with no flash.
Maybe 100 photos per dayduring the trips.
She is used to photography from film days and had a darkroom.
Some of the photos are excellent in my opinion.

I think a quality standard/wide f/2.8 zoom would be good, even with a mediocre older digital body.
I am looking at Pentax range being more familiar with it, and later I will look at M4/3 and then a smaller Canon.

I am a bit reluctant to suggest anything specific in case she feels obliged to follow my suggestion!
I wish she had told me, however, before purchasing that Lumix.
I suggested to her to study the manual more then practise around the house before the next trip. Maybe it will become acceptable.