Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
ISO 50 is an "extended" mode.
Yes, I said exactly that. I'm glad you agree.

06-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I assume when it is in extended mode that there isn't an increase in dynamic range going from iso 64 to 32.
But if it means you have a couple more stops to blur those waterfalls without filters, it would have it's uses.

When I used 32 ISO with film, it was to get the fine grain. I doubt that's going to be a factor here.
06-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Seems like a bigger update than I expected. think the low ISO on the D810 will compete against the performance of the 645z? Or is it just digital darkening of the photo without real world benefits?
Well the pixel density is comparable, but the 645z will deliver more resolution. I think the difference in price and physical size still really sets the two cameras apart from each other, despite the high-resolution design of both.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Are you saying the new "100" is now "64"? That would be great... of course what Nikon claims is ISO50 is really ISO75...
Yup, 64 is the new base non-expanded ISO. I think this is thanks to the processor (rather than a new sensor - the press release suggests this), similar to how Pentax pulled off ISO 80 in the K-5.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

With the D810 staying at 36MP and the 645z going to 51 MP, its more like, the 645z should now blow the D810 out of the water for resolution.
06-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Can we somehow retrofit a K-mount on it and call if a Niktax? or a Penkon?

I'd be quite happy if the Pentax unicorn had the same specs.
06-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, 64 is the new base non-expanded ISO. I think this is thanks to the processor (rather than a new sensor - the press release suggests this), similar to how Pentax pulled off ISO 80 in the K-5.

Then that would be in contrast to how they seem to have done it before. I would love a ISO sensitivity that's actually below 50. An actual ISO of 25 would really help me out, I wouldn't need new filters.

06-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But if it means you have a couple more stops to blur those waterfalls without filters, it would have it's uses.

When I used 32 ISO with film, it was to get the fine grain. I doubt that's going to be a factor here.
I suppose. I don't really understand what they are doing here. If your base iso is 100 and you allow the camera to act like its base iso is 80, won't you just get a bunch of blown highlights? I know the Pentax kx base was 200, but they allowed it to shoot at iso 100, but I don't know how prone it was to blow out highlights either. DXO Mark showed exactly the same dynamic range for it at iso 100 and 200.
06-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Well the pixel density is comparable, but the 645z will deliver more resolution. I think the difference in price and physical size still really sets the two cameras apart from each other, despite the high-resolution design of both.
So are we going to be seeing a 645Z vs. D810 review? :P
06-26-2014, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
So are we going to be seeing a 645Z vs. D810 review? :P
Yes, and it will be similar to the 645D vs D3x review that we did back in 2011. Technology has moved forward but overall I think many of the same conclusions will remain valid.

Adam

06-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Technology has moved forward but overall I think many of the same conclusions will remain valid.
There is no replacement for displacement.

---------- Post added 06-26-14 at 21:46 ----------

I'd be more interested in a D710 with the DF sensor. I don't need or want that much resolution and I think the DF's sensor isn't as play skool-ish in colors as the sony sensor in the D800 or maybe the DF shooters aren't so much into making 1 shot HDR.

I find it funny that neither Canon nor Nikon cater to all of their potential customers. To this day Nikon shooters want a 5d3 competitor (meaning something like a D700 with an updated sensor between 16 and 22 mp) and Canon shooters want a D800 competitor (meaning 36+ mp).
06-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
There is no replacement for displacement.

---------- Post added 06-26-14 at 21:46 ----------

I'd be more interested in a D710 with the DF sensor. I don't need or want that much resolution and I think the DF's sensor isn't as play skool-ish in colors as the sony sensor in the D800 or maybe the DF shooters aren't so much into making 1 shot HDR.

I find it funny that neither Canon nor Nikon cater to all of their potential customers. To this day Nikon shooters want a 5d3 competitor (meaning something like a D700 with an updated sensor between 16 and 22 mp) and Canon shooters want a D800 competitor (meaning 36+ mp).
Isn't the Df's sensor the same as the D4's, though?
06-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I find it funny that neither Canon nor Nikon cater to all of their potential customers. To this day Nikon shooters want a 5d3 competitor
I have software that can take a 36MP image down to whatever resolution I desire. Perhaps I could make a living selling it to Nikon users!
06-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If your base iso is 100 and you allow the camera to act like its base iso is 80, won't you just get a bunch of blown highlights?
Only the camera designers know for sure, but if you shorten the sampling period, you can get the same detail from the sensor even with higher light intensity. Film is exposed to light for the entire time the shutter is open; with a digital sensor, you can sample its output several times (registering fewer photons each time) while the shutter is open. Base ISO would likely be determined by the processor, not the sensor. Note: IANASD (I Am Not A Sensor Designer)
06-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #30
Veteran Member

You could insert Pentax Ricoh in this statement just as easily, with a lack of FF. (not advocating for FF or against, in any way)