Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Isn't the Df's sensor the same as the D4's, though?
Yes. It's a Nikon sensor, not Sony.

06-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Some fine piece of DPReview logic:
"Why is the D810 priced like the D800E, and not the D800? Well, the D810 takes the D800E's 'AA filter cancellation' trick one step further by dispensing with an AA filter entirely, which should result in a camera that offers greater resolution than either of the two models that it replaces. "
So not including two Bayer-AA-filter layers justifies making the camera more expensive?

How stupid do they think people are?
Or am I am the stupid one for missing something?

With the recent "two model" approach to offering both Bayer-AA-filter-less and appropriate anti-aliasing technology choices, it was perhaps defensible to charge more for the model with the lower production run (not sure though, which model, the D800 or the D800E sold better in the end).

But if there is only one model and they are saving production costs, how can that possibly justify a higher price?

N.B., a 36MP Bayer-Array camera without any AA-function is incomplete. It essentially comes with the proviso, "We trust you cannot take shots that are sharp at the pixel level, so you'll be fine". If a camera, like the K-3, can offer the best of both worlds in one package that's great, but if that technology is not available for Nikon then they should be offering two models.
06-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Hell, Pentax has justified 50% higher prices in the past just to celebrate April fool's day.

This is a price reduction coupled with a few more improvements that are meaningful, although not headline worthy. I would pay several hundred dollars for almost a stop lower iso and an improved shutter.
06-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
How stupid do they think people are?
Or am I am the stupid one for missing something?
Nikon knows the answer to the following question.

Will they pay more for the number of parts in a camera or for sharpness?

Irregardless of any change in manufacturing or engineering process that could make its hard cost less than the old price minus the price of those filters, they know the pixel peepers gonna pay.

Go back two years in the forums. "how much to get rid of the aa filter" "why do manufacturers keep hobbling resolution with aa filters" and so on.

Now we got our wish.

My only thoughts on the subject. At 36mp, aa is not needed. Pentax's choice to remove it at 16mp was a bit premature.

Last edited by RyanW; 06-28-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typos
06-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Concur. At 16 MP an aa filter is reasonable. At 36 MP I don't need it. At 24? I think the selectable option is nice, but I would probably leave it off.