Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

Adapter question!

Hi all,

I'm really new to photography in general, and recently acquired an Auto Chinon 1:1.9 50mm lens to snap onto my Nikon D3100 and try to get better at portraits. I'm hunting around for adapters but have seen a few variations (some with lens/glass, some without). I was wondering if I just wanted to take 'nice' portraits, is there a recommended adapter for this? Or would a cheapo (like this) from ebay do?

Additionally, since this is my first prime lens experience- if anyone has any tips or tricks I would like to hear them!

Thank you!

07-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That adapter will work, but it doesn't allow for infinity focus. You'd have to get the Nikon version of that particular lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-12-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'd have to get the Nikon version of that particular lens.
There isn't one. K-mount or M42 only. On a Nikon w/adapter, you won't have metering of any kind.
07-12-2014, 05:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon is the worst for adapting other lenses to because of its longer registration distance. canon is the best (of mirrored dslr) - there are adapters for just about anything available.

07-12-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A nikon body would not be my choice for adapting lenses.

Mirrorless cameras are far better choices. Because of their low registration distances, they work with almost all lenses. They also meter off the sensor, so lenses act like they have a coupled aperture.

As for your Nikon, have a look at the 50mm f1.8 AF-S. Nice lens, good for portraits, will meter and autofocus with your camera.
07-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
Banned

Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens $99.99 w/FS

Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm F 1 8D Autofocus Lens for Nikon DSLR Digital Camera | eBay

07-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies

So is the general consensus that I won't get any good shots with the Chinon because of needing the adapter? Should I scrap the idea?
07-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Enteen Quote
Thanks for all the replies

So is the general consensus that I won't get any good shots with the Chinon because of needing the adapter? Should I scrap the idea?
As far as the Nikon is concerned...yes, it is not a good idea. If you have a K-mount film camera or a compatible digital body (Pentax, Canon, or any of the score of mirrorless options), it might be an nice lens to add to your shooting. I have several vintage fast 50s and each has its own flavor.

Steve