Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2014, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well my scanner came in today. I can't believe how easy it is compared to my previous way of digitizing.

I am getting MUCH better output, very close to how my wet prints look.

Here are a couple quick scans of two shots I took last weekend while out camping. Both of these shots are nothing special, just a couple of quick snaps while I am learning how to shoot with a large format camera. They look MUCH better large on my screen. Compressing and shrinking them for the web really robs them of their depth.

This one was shot during a drizzle after the sun went behind the mountains. I exposed the film for 8 seconds (I guessed that would be enough) and got this.

Both of these shots were made with a Fujinon W 125mm F5.6 lens. Shot on Foma 200 and developed in Rodinal at 50:1 for 8 minutes.

This scanner is going to open up a new world for me for shooting film. I can't wait to see what I can come up with.

08-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Well my scanner came in today. I can't believe how easy it is compared to my previous way of digitizing.
Sweet. Those are looking great.
08-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Compressing and shrinking them for the web really robs them of their depth.
It is very hard to express to people just how much depth is present on a 4x5 negative and scans made from such. The same is true for medium format as well.

I am really looking forward to seeing more of your work with the Zone VI!

Steve
08-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

I am just starting out in large format (shot film in general for about a year now). It is a whole lot of fun and I have a huge amount to learn.

I just received some expired (2 years old) TMAX 400 film today, so I loaded up a couple of film holders and went out after work today to see if the film was any good. I developed in HC-110(h) and rated the film at 250 ISO. The film works, but it is much more grainy than I thought it would be. Maybe it is the developer. I need to mix up another batch of Xtol to see if that does better.

Anyway, here are two I shot and developed today, both shot with a red filter with an oncoming storm.

08-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #50
Pentaxian

I just received some expired (2 years old) TMAX 400 film today, so I loaded up a couple of film holders and went out after work today to see if the film was any good. I developed in HC-110(h) and rated the film at 250 ISO. The film works, but it is much more grainy than I thought it would be. Maybe it is the developer. I need to mix up another batch of Xtol to see if that does better.
Those are really starting to get the look of large format shots.

I've shot a lots of TXT 4164 ( old forumla 320 Tri-X ) using a Pyro developer in the past. That film has more grain than 400TMY. But with that size of a negative, grain never seemed to be an issue it seems. That cabin shot I posted is 400TMY at EI800. I do a lot of highlight compression with 400TMY. And it really yields fine gain for a 400 film when I do that.
08-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I came across this....