Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Looks like one of Fred Picker's (Zone VI of Newfane Vermont) early cameras made in collaboration with or by Wista for him. He went on to manufacture his own handmade cameras and they were spectacular works of art in themselves. There are a few on Ebay right now. He also made wooden tripods for his cameras so if you want to keep the Zone VI vibe check out ebay too.

Unfortunately Mr. Picker died some time ago but he was a wonderful photographer. His typed newsletters (printed and mailed, no web back then) were the gold standard in how to make and print fine black and white photographs. He explained how to use your gear to make photographs (rather than just owning gear). I still have them all in my library. He used to hold his Zone VI workshops up in Vermont and it was always my dream to attend one. His book on the Zone system is still the "standard of care" for learning the zone system in B and W photography and printing outside of Adams' three books (Zone VI Workshop: Fred Picker: 9780817405748: Amazon.com: Books). Get a copy! He used to modify Pentax spot meters with improved internals and a zone scale on the exposure dial. I have one that I haven't used in decades but I'll never sell it. Priceless. He also made cold light enlarger heads with proprietary analogue exposure systems in collaboration with a professor from Harvard. All from a small town in Vermont!

He was a true American iconoclast.

07-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning. Be inspired.
07-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You really need to get a matching wood tripod
I recommend Berlebach tripods, I use them with my 8X10 and 4X5.They use ash tree wood, but you can stain the wood to match.
07-20-2014, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I rode up into the high country today to try out the new camera. I shot all twelve sheets I had and I'm now developing them. I'm not sure if they'll be dry enough to digitize tonight.

When I digitize them, I'll post them up. Anyway, here are a couple photos of the outing. The metal tripod will have to go. I am looking for either a reis or Berlebach wood tripod to go with the camera.

This elk grazed right up to me as I was sitting and taking a break, its hard work hiking around at 12,000 ft.

07-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Fits the landscape so well.
07-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I need one. It's as simple as that!.
07-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

Looks like I'll have something up by tonight from the large format camera.

4x5 negatives are much harder to digitize compared to medium format negatives. Especially when I don't have a negative scanner. I could always wet print and scan the prints, but that is a pretty long process as it takes a while working on a print to get exactly what you are looking for.

I think I have the digitizing figured out now though.

07-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Thanks everyone.

Looks like I'll have something up by tonight from the large format camera.

4x5 negatives are much harder to digitize compared to medium format negatives.
For my 4x5 sheet film, I use an older Epson Perfection 4990. If you can find one, it should be really inexpensive. It is only good optically to just under 2400dpi but if you scan at 2400dpi you get around a 12,000 x 9,600 pixel file. I find the files just as easy to scan as my medium format a really nice to work with.

Are you shooting color or BW?
07-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
For my 4x5 sheet film, I use an older Epson Perfection 4990. If you can find one, it should be really inexpensive. It is only good optically to just under 2400dpi but if you scan at 2400dpi you get around a 12,000 x 9,600 pixel file. I find the files just as easy to scan as my medium format a really nice to work with.

Are you shooting color or BW?
Thanks for the recommendation!

Right now I am shooting b&w, Foma 200.
07-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is some 4x5 scan examples from that 4990 in addition to the one already posted. The bigger the negative, the better these commodity scanners do except reach further into the blacks.

Some excellent images there. Really like the one with the men sitting in the cabin, very atmospheric.

You sold me, now to actually find one!
07-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Some excellent images there. Really like the one with the men sitting in the cabin, very atmospheric.

You sold me, now to actually find one!
Thanks. Are you doing tray development or some kind of daylight tank?
07-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Are you doing tray development or some kind of daylight tank?
I tried tray development first, but had scratches, Foma film is VERY easy to scratch when wet. I now use the "taco" method with a Patterson tank, developing 4 sheets at a time.
07-21-2014, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I tried tray development first, but had scratches, Foma film is VERY easy to scratch when wet. I now use the "taco" method with a Patterson tank, developing 4 sheets at a time.
That's a good method. I never took to tray developing myself. It's just too tiresome that long in the dark shifting the film around. No thanks. But some people prefer it.

I use this this HP Combi Tank show on the right. I put on an adapter on the machine to mount it in lieu of roll film tank shown. It's okay. Getting fluid in and out is not really fast but the rectangle shape adapts to the machine well and I use the same development times and agitation profile as I do with my 120 roll film in the SS tank.

07-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Here is some 4x5 scan examples from that 4990 in addition to the one already posted. The bigger the negative, the better these commodity scanners do except reach further into the blacks.

Tose scans looks amazing!
07-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, oh, man, those are some fantastic shots.