Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #76
Banned

Nikon’s service advisory for thermal issue (white dots) during long exposures

QuoteQuote:
Nikon USA/Nikon EU/Nikon Japan issued a service advisory for thermal problem (white dots/bright spots) during long exposures with the D810 camera. Back in 2010 the D7000 had a similar issue and I am surprised that Nikon has another QA problem after the D600 spots. At least this time they offered a solution just few weeks after the camera was released.

This internal memo indicates that the problem will be fixed with a combination of a firmware update and "pixel defect compensation":
Nikon's service advisory for thermal issue (white dots) during long exposures with the D810 camera | Nikon Rumors

08-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Friend of mine just upgraded to the D810 from the D800e. He says it's NOT "2-3 stops" better but there seems to be an improvement. It's also NOT noiseless above ISO 3200 - no camera is.

The main reason for the upgrade was to get rid of the focusing problem on the D800e - sometimes the shutter won't fire after focus lock, because it keeps hesitating whether lock has been achieved or not - tends to happen when trying to focus on relatively smooth surfaces.

The D800e was a bit of a kludge (AA and anti-AA filter stack) - the D810 fixes most of the issues.
The only time my D800E seems to "hesitate" before firing off the shutter is if I have set the AF to focus priority and it's not sure that it's focused. You friend's camera is doing what it's supposed to do if it's set up like that.

I have a D810 and it is a wonderful camera - although I've just been told my the serial number means it's affected by the dreaded "White Spots" problem. It'll be going to get an adjustment next week that will, hopefully, cure it..
11-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Took delivery of my D810 this week and pretty damn happy with it.
11-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I would hope if you spend more than $3000 on a camera you would be happy with it. What lenses are you using?
Nikon 14-24mm f2.8, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 and received today the Sigma Art 50mm which is already my favourite of the bunch.

Yeah I kinda went all out.

11-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Nikon 14-24mm f2.8, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 and received today the Sigma Art 50mm which is already my favourite of the bunch.

Yeah I kinda went all out.
If you can afford it that is the thing to do. That way you know you are using your equipment well when you have good stuff with it. Be sure to post your results to make the rest of us even more envious!
06-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I'd forgotten about this thread.... Better show some results.

Not the greatest photo. Was just testing out my first ever go with studio lights. Taken with my Tamron 70-200mm which is pretty damn good lens. Pentax FF really is going to need 3rd party support if this is what the 3rd parties are capable of....

Rachel
by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

But check out this 100% crop of the above image

Another of my recent favourites (I seem to have gravitated to mostly shooting models some how). I have a 30x20" print of this photo and it looks every bit as good as it does on the screen.

Kristi

Another favourite. Another 3rd part lens. This time a Sigma Art 50mm f1.4

Dracula's Bride

Could these have all been taken with my Pentax? Absolutely. Would they be as good? Maybe, but I don't think so.
06-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Really loving the last shot!

06-24-2015, 07:03 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Really loving the last shot!
Thanks... Me too. One of the first shots I've taken where I had a clear artistic vision of what I wanted going into it and pretty much nailed what I was after. A fantastic young model too. She deserves a fair bit of credit for this too in my opinion as I told her the emotion I wanted and she delivered it.
06-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Thanks... Me too. One of the first shots I've taken where I had a clear artistic vision of what I wanted going into it and pretty much nailed what I was after. A fantastic young model too. She deserves a fair bit of credit for this too in my opinion as I told her the emotion I wanted and she delivered it.
How did you light the shot?
06-28-2015, 04:39 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
How did you light the shot?
Jinbei DM3 strobe camera left in a soft box as key lighting. Also had another Jinbei camera right with a beauty dish for a hint of rim lighting. Also a Cactus RF60 with a red gel lighting the trees in the background but I darkened that in post on that first image. Was shot outside at night time in almost total darkness. Here is another in the series.

Dracula's Bride

edit:

While I'm at it. This one was shot earlier, actually in daytime, before we turned to the vampire look. One of the strobe camera right with a 55 degree reflector and the cactus flash to the left.

Maddie
07-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #86
Veteran Member

I am loving the D810 + Tamron 70-200mm + studio light combo!

Same model as above.

Maddie Roscoe

maddie100%
08-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I am loving the D810 + Tamron 70-200mm + studio light combo!

Same model as above.

Maddie Roscoe

maddie100%
unbelievable detail!!