Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
Banned

Low cost entry level FF E-mount camera coming ?

QuoteQuote:
Last week I reported about the registration of a new Sony System Camera at the Indonesian agency Postel. The camera is registered with the code “WW024382” which usually defines a Full Frame camera.

An anonymous source said that this is the cheap entry level FF E-mount camera.

I am yet not sure about the rumor but like I told you before Sony indeed published a patent describing such a camera. And here is the official design:

(SR2) Is the registered camera the new entry level FF E-mount? | sonyalpharumors

If it's an A6000 with full frame sensor it would be a winner IMHO.

Last edited by jogiba; 07-24-2014 at 06:17 AM.
07-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't be surprised. Sony probably spent some serious coin developing this FF sensor. They need to sell this tech to anyone and everyone as much as possible to make up the costs.

Sony is a sensor company who makes cameras in order to test the tech. Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc are camera companies who are the intended customers of Sony's tech. If they see how well the Sony sensor works in a Sony body then they know how much better it work in their own bodies!
07-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder where that low cost price would fall and what the specs would be.
07-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I wouldn't be surprised. Sony probably spent some serious coin developing this FF sensor. They need to sell this tech to anyone and everyone as much as possible to make up the costs.

Sony is a sensor company who makes cameras in order to test the tech.
Ummm... Even if that ever really was the case, the recent explosion in quality Sony photographic products proves that they intend to be a serious provider of photographic products. Not just a mere Sensor provider. Eventually their sensor customers will turn into competitors in the photographic market. There already has been much speculation on what will happen by that time.

Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc are camera companies who are the intended customers of Sony's tech. If they see how well the Sony sensor works in a Sony body then they know how much better it work in their own bodies!
I've never been able to follow that logic. Common sense would dictate that Sony knows best how to use their own sensors. Even the sensor in the K-5 and the Nex 5n seemed to prove that for a fact. The Nex 5n produces noticably sharper images with better colours.

07-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon makes his own sensors. And Nikon use sensors from Toshiba, not only from Sony.
07-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

How much cheaper could they get? I mean, the A7 is nothing special apart from having a "full frame" sensor. Full-plastic construction? No viewfinder, or a cheaper one?
07-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I've never been able to follow that logic. Common sense would dictate that Sony knows best how to use their own sensors. Even the sensor in the K-5 and the Nex 5n seemed to prove that for a fact. The Nex 5n produces noticably sharper images with better colours.
What camera/lens combinations were used to verify this? .jpg or raw?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How much cheaper could they get? I mean, the A7 is nothing special apart from having a "full frame" sensor. Full-plastic construction? No viewfinder, or a cheaper one?
Probably a smaller body with no EVF, and less controls, I'd say...

07-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
And Nikon use sensors from Toshiba, not only from Sony.
For it's DSLR's, Nikon uses sensors from Toshiba, Sony, Aptina. As far as I am aware, the D7100 is the only recent Nikon DSLR that actually used a Toshiba chip. D90 was Sony, D7000 was Sony, D800 was Sony, can't remember who did the D600.
07-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If it's an A6000 with full frame sensor it would be a winner IMHO.
That's what I'm waiting for. I really like having the EVF on the corner of the camera, and the form factor of the NEX-6 has grown on me.
07-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
For it's DSLR's, Nikon uses sensors from Toshiba, Sony, Aptina. As far as I am aware, the D7100 is the only recent Nikon DSLR that actually used a Toshiba chip. D90 was Sony, D7000 was Sony, D800 was Sony, can't remember who did the D600.
Don't the D3200, D3300, D5200 and D5300 also use the Toshiba sensor? My impression is that they do, since the ISO numbers are similar to the D7100.
07-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Don't the D3200, D3300, D5200 and D5300 also use the Toshiba sensor?
Probably, at least the 24MP APS-C ones. But I haven't made any effort to keep up with all the recent Nikon's.
07-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nikon made the sensor in the D4(s) and DF

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 13:15 ----------

One other thought, an entry level FF is not likely to be purchased by entry level APS-C folk. I mean we aren't' going to see a FF for $599 with kit lens. So really, it would be the APS-C higher end buyer that would be entertaining thoughts of FF. So... is that buyer willing to give up the perks of the higher end APS-C cameras for an entry level FF?

Things like:
dual cards
dual wheels
weather sealing
robust build
more capable AF
higher FPS
Micro-adjust (only applies to dslr/dslt)
availability of a battery grip
bigger, longer lasting batteries (doesn't seem applicable in the mirrorless world though)
top display

What are you willing to jettison to say you have a FF camera?

Last edited by RyanW; 07-24-2014 at 01:28 PM.
07-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Nikon made the sensor in the D4(s) and DF

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 13:15 ----------

One other thought, an entry level FF is not likely to be purchased by entry level APS-C folk. I mean we arent' going to see a FF for $599 with kit lens. So really, it would be the APS-C higher end buyer that would be entertaining thoughts of FF. So... is that buyer willing to give up the perks of the higher end APS-C cameras for an entry level FF?

Things like:
dual cards
dual wheels
weather sealing
robust build
more capable AF
higher FPS
Micro-adjust (only applies to dslr/dslt)
availability of a battery grip
bigger, longer lasting batteries (doesn't seem applicable in the mirrorless world though)
top display

What are you willing to jettison to say you have a FF camera?
You could keep spinning that APS-C feature stuff until the cows come home but I bet there would be many wanting an A6000 with full frame sensor.
07-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
You could keep spinning that APS-C feature stuff until the cows come home but I bet there would be many wanting an A6000 with full frame sensor.
Probably current A7 owners that want better AF

I don't doubt it, but go read a little in the Nikon and Canon forums. Many don't like the D610 or 6D as they see them crippled compared to the higher end APS-C bodies.

Sony is not going to release a budget FF that has better specs than the A99 or the A7(x). So the A6000 with a FF sensor would be better than the current A7 line. Who wouldn't want that and at a lower cost than the A7 to boot!

What I'd like is a FF Rebel. Personally I'd be happy with a FF Canon SL1. Small, lightweight, great battery life, optical viewfinder, fast AF, responsive. I would want what I just described long before what I'm thinking is coming in the way of entry level FF.

Hopefully I will be proved wrong by the entry level FF, but I'm not counting on it.
07-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony is a sensor company who makes cameras in order to test the tech.
To me, for the most part, they are an electronic company who is interested in selling electronics. It is pretty apparent how fast they are pushing out revisions in the market that still have a lot of technological growth to go. It is working pretty well for them since there's that part of us always wanting better gadgets.