Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Hin. It certainly looks like a strong performer.

02-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just make the first couple of pictures with the A6000. It handles very nicely, small but easy to use. Today played with the panorama feature, takes a little getting used to, but interesting results. So far not over impressed with the image quality of the 35mm SEL, but the auto focus speed is amazing, making this a great point and shoot.

I will try it out with some of the Pentax lenses soon to see how the sensor compares to my K3.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6000  Photo 
02-12-2015, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Just make the first couple of pictures with the A6000. It handles very nicely, small but easy to use. Today played with the panorama feature, takes a little getting used to, but interesting results. So far not over impressed with the image quality of the 35mm SEL, but the auto focus speed is amazing, making this a great point and shoot.

I will try it out with some of the Pentax lenses soon to see how the sensor compares to my K3.
I have seen many outstanding pictures from Sony E 35mm f/1.8. It may be too soon to judge the quality of the lens based on the in-camera panorama feature as I can easily ran into user errors with the feature.

I have A6000 and E 50mm f/1.8 and the E 35mm f/1.8 is high on my wish list. Few casual jpeg snapshots today around my office with E 50mm f/1.8 in f/2.0 aperture.

E 50 f/1.8

E 50 f/1.8

E 50 f/1.8

E 50 f/1.8

There are times that I feel not impressed with the pictures taken by a particular lens but more often than not, it takes time for me to warm up to the potential of the lens.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-13-2015 at 06:18 AM.
02-12-2015, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

The E 35mm f/1.8 is rated neck to neck with my Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and it is faster and with OSS.

Best prime lenses on the Sony A6000 - DxOMark

A sample picture of Sigma 30mm f/2.8 wide open on NEX 5N

sigma 30 and nex 5n, @ f/2.8 and iso 400

And according to Dx0 rating on sharpness, the two lenses are next to each other and I expect nothing less from the Sony with OSS and all the PDAF capability. My Sigma 30 can only provide pdaf in the center portion.

Cheers,
Hin

02-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have seen many outstanding pictures from Sony E 35mm f/1.8. It may be too soon to judge the quality of the lens based on the in-camera panorama feature as I can easily ran into user errors with the feature.

I have A6000 and E 50mm f/1.8 and the E 35mm f/1.8 is high on my wish list. Few casual jpeg snapshots today around my office with E 50mm f/1.8 in f/2.0 aperture.

E 50 f/1.8

E 50 f/1.8

E 50 f/1.8

E 50 f/1.8

There are times that I feel not impressed with the pictures taken by a particular lens but more often than not, it takes time for me to warm up to the potential of the lens.

Cheers,
Hin

Point taken. I took some pics into the sun for the first time with the SEL and the performance was quite different than by FA lenses, which was some of the reason for my comment. However, your point is well taken, I have to get used to the glass as well as the camera. The panorama was more for fun, I usually shoot these with a tripod and stitch them together, it was interesting to try an internal feature to make one. Any thoughts or suggestions that would help will be more than welcome.
02-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Point taken. I took some pics into the sun for the first time with the SEL and the performance was quite different than by FA lenses, which was some of the reason for my comment. However, your point is well taken, I have to get used to the glass as well as the camera. The panorama was more for fun, I usually shoot these with a tripod and stitch them together, it was interesting to try an internal feature to make one. Any thoughts or suggestions that would help will be more than welcome.
I will check on flickr for the E 35mm f/1.8 OSS photos and see if others run into issues shooting into the sun.

https://www.flickr.com/search?text=sony%20e%2035mm%20f1.8%20oss

Some are quite impressive pictures, I especially like the low light capture of the lens and I have a flickr contact whom I was wowed with his street and portraits with the lens and nex 6. I will find his page to share later on.

My best Pentax lens in shooting right into the sun is the DA 15mm limited. The SMC coating is likely in its own class but I don't think the Sony is inadequate. But I can't be specific as I don't own the lens and I am the dude who loves occasional flare. Any flaws in a lens bring a different character and I like to shoot with flaws for the challenge and the fun with lesser cost lens. If a $400 lens can shoot almost as well as the $900 beast, I am all for it. I don't think the E 35 can outdo the FA 31 but it will surely have a great place in a E-mount camera bag. I will highly suggest to try out more shooting and return it if it disappoints in the shooting. Move on with something better but unfortunately, I can't think of any lens in that price range with OSS, size, AF, and fast PDAF. Unless you want to be cheap and try out the Sigma 30mm f/2.8, my copy with the 1st version is superb for its price. The few cons are the slower speed and lack of full support of PDAF in AFC mode, color and contrast are great but E 35mm will be better, I think.

I am newbie in terms of panorama and I will think a mono-pod may help and I have a difficult time in keeping the sweep on a horizontal path. The speed of the sweep also play tricks on the success rate in getting a good shot. But the feature rocks for convenience.

with sigma 19mm f/2.8

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-12-2015 at 10:15 AM.
02-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I will check on flickr for the E 35mm f/1.8 OSS photos and see if others run into issues shooting into the sun.

https://www.flickr.com/search?text=sony%20e%2035mm%20f1.8%20oss

Some are quite impressive pictures, I especially like the low light capture of the lens and I have a flickr contact whom I was wowed with his street and portraits with the lens and nex 6. I will find his page to share later on.

My best Pentax lens in shooting right into the sun is the DA 15mm limited. The SMC coating is likely in its own class but I don't think the Sony is inadequate. But I can't be specific as I don't own the lens and I am the dude who loves occasional flare. Any flaws in a lens bring a different character and I like to shoot with flaws for the challenge and the fun with lesser cost lens. If a $400 lens can shoot almost as well as the $900 beast, I am all for it. I don't think the E 35 can outdo the FA 31 but it will surely have a great place in a E-mount camera bag. I will highly suggest to try out more shooting and return it if it disappoints in the shooting. Move on with something better but unfortunately, I can't think of any lens in that price range with OSS, size, AF, and fast PDAF. Unless you want to be cheap and try out the Sigma 30mm f/2.8, my copy with the 1st version is superb for its price. The few cons are the slower speed and lack of full support of PDAF in AFC mode, color and contrast are great but E 35mm will be better, I think.

I am newbie in terms of panorama and I will think a mono-pod may help and I have a difficult time in keeping the sweep on a horizontal path. The speed of the sweep also play tricks on the success rate in getting a good shot. But the feature rocks for convenience.

with sigma 19mm f/2.8

Cheers,
Hin
Thanks for your input. I am just starting the learning process, with a new and different lens and camera. I already like the A6000 much more than the K-01, which I could never seem to find it working for me.

Here is a image where the flare I mentioned in my first post is present. Not terrible, but distracting, now that I have some lenses that don't do that all the time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6000  Photo 
02-13-2015, 06:04 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Thanks for your input. I am just starting the learning process, with a new and different lens and camera. I already like the A6000 much more than the K-01, which I could never seem to find it working for me.

Here is a image where the flare I mentioned in my first post is present. Not terrible, but distracting, now that I have some lenses that don't do that all the time.
That really seems excessive, I would have been disappointed as well. Maybe a darker background and back-lit facing the sun adds to the flare. Back-lit tree trunks seem to aggravate the flare. Hate to ask but you don't have any filter on? It seems the flare pattern is repeated in couple of places. I will try out more with the lens and hopefully what you run into the first trial is a rare instance. I once shoot with my DA 21 while in a well dense forest in New Zealand and I recall seeing very ugly and unusual green and purple fringing from my 21 limited. I was mad and share the experience with my Pentax friends in photo.net and nobody believe me until I show the picture. But the flare that I got was quite extreme shooting into densely populated ferns and trees in high contrast scene.

My sigma series is not best with flare but reasonable and I would have thought the E 35 to be better, others with more experience can hopefully share a comment and input with you.

A6000 with Sigma 19mm f/2.8 (no filter)

NEX 5N and Sigma 30mm f/2.8 (likely with a cheap filter)

NEX 5N and Sigma 30mm f/2.8 (likely with a cheap filter)

I use inexpensive uv filter for lens front protection. I still do on occasions but I have changed my protection more towards using a metal mount hood staged in front of my lens such as this setting

Sigma 30mm with a vented lens hood for front protection

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-13-2015 at 06:17 AM.
02-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

More recent shot with Sony A6000, SEL3518. Like the rendering here. Cropped
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6000  Photo 
01-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Am thinking of getting the Sony a6000.
Have pretty much covered all the reviews and whats on Utube but wonder if any of the forum members have anything more to add about this camera?
Hi, did you ever get a Sony a6000? I did and I am loving it with my Pentax Limited prime lenses!!

Last edited by frank5; 01-14-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add photo