Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
..I love shooting with my d600.
I would never have guessed

It's good that you have found religion in Nikon, but there's no reason to be so angry about Pentax.

Pretend you are back in the film days of 1970 or something, when there was none of this stuff like video and auto-focus to confuse people about what photography is all about.

11-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
You site DRTV as your source for ergonomics? I would rather listen to Ken Rockwell.
LOL

Give the kid a break - I checked out his Flickr profile - he's posted a grand total of 372 photos, many of which are multiple takes of the same scene, some of which are cat photos.

He's young and enthusiastic, and the D600 is probably his second camera.

He's probably watched digitalrev more than he's taken photos, so obviously everything they say MUST BE TRUE!!!
11-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
LOL

Give the kid a break - I checked out his Flickr profile - he's posted a grand total of 372 photos, many of which are multiple takes of the same scene, some of which are cat photos.

He's young and enthusiastic, and the D600 is probably his second camera.

He's probably watched digitalrev more than he's taken photos, so obviously everything they say MUST BE TRUE!!!
You're so much nicer than me. I would have said, "He has no clue. Save yourself some grief and put him on ignore."
11-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's not always a case of an either/or switch, of course. There's often a degree of complementarity between systems, whether they be FF or not. FF for wide and low-light, APS-C for tele, 1 inch for P&S, one brand for video, mirrorless vs OVF for reasons etc.
Yep, and I am probably the poster child for multi-system and multi-format use.

There is an argument for buying Nikon or Canon for FF, and Pentax for APS-C. But in my mind, I'll rather have the same brand for both - being able to swap lenses across formats would be a win. A different strategy is FF DSLR, and mirrorless APS-C - I think many in this forum has gone down this path.

But a "typical" Pentax APS-C DSLR user with a reasonable lens collection? I would argue K-3 and/or a new lens is a better proposition than buying a Canikon FF - because the advantages just doesn't seem to be "worth it." Again, my own personal opinion, not based on Ken Rockwell or watching Youtube videos.

11-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #155
Veteran Member

Yep, and I am probably the poster child for multi-system and multi-format use.

There is an argument for buying Nikon or Canon for FF, and Pentax for APS-C. But in my mind, I'll rather have the same brand for both - being able to swap lenses across formats would be a win. A different strategy is FF DSLR, and mirrorless APS-C - I think many in this forum has gone down this path.

But a "typical" Pentax APS-C DSLR user with a reasonable lens collection? I would argue K-3 and/or a new lens is a better proposition than buying a Canikon FF - because the advantages just doesn't seem to be "worth it." Again, my own personal opinion, not based on Ken Rockwell or watching Youtube videos.
lol

wow, this escalated quickly, and I will take the blame for poking the bear.

But yes, you got a very valid point, this is the reason I showed up for todays shoot with a K3, 645 (film), and D800. I also only had 5 lenses, FA 43, FA 77, FA-645 75, Sigma 50 Art, Nikon 135 DC. Could I have done everything today with my K3? You betcha I could have! But when you got two magic lenses in the 77 and the 135... you can't leave them at home. Each system has strengths and weakeness. Each camera within the brand even more so. It comes down to using the right tool for the job.

If, and this is a huge if...I sold all my Pentax gear when I bought into Nikon, I would probably be looking at a m4/3 camera as a support system. Now that I have the D800, K3, Q those are essentially all I need. I would still like to get back into m4/3 because I see lots of potential in the system, especially for video use, I won't because for 80% of what I'm doing now the Nikon is what works for me. The K3 is for travel, family, and backup primarily it seems, but I always have it handy because of the delicious limited primes!

I have to share this by the way... just culling the images from the shoot right now and this one jumped at me.

K3 & 77mm f1.8

Last edited by Wired; 11-16-2014 at 09:27 PM.
11-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Again, my own personal opinion, not based on Ken Rockwell or watching Youtube videos.
All of what you say is eminently sensible. Now all Pentax needs to do is make a decent FF, maybe even a FF mirrorless too , and the camera choice decision tree for many people would be a lot simpler.

this one jumped at me.
Sure does. FA77 'pop' at work. Great shot.
11-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #157
Veteran Member

lol

wow, this escalated quickly, and I will take the blame for poking the bear.

But yes, you got a very valid point, this is the reason I showed up for todays shoot with a K3, 645 (film), and D800. I also only had 5 lenses, FA 43, FA 77, FA-645 75, Sigma 50 Art, Nikon 135 DC. Could I have done everything today with my K3? You betcha I could have! But when you got two magic lenses in the 77 and the 135... you can't leave them at home. Each system has strengths and weakeness. Each camera within the brand even more so. It comes down to using the right tool for the job.

If, and this is a huge if...I sold all my Pentax gear when I bought into Nikon, I would probably be looking at a m4/3 camera as a support system. Now that I have the D800, K3, Q those are essentially all I need. I would still like to get back into m4/3 because I see lots of potential in the system, especially for video use, I won't because for 80% of what I'm doing now the Nikon is what works for me. The K3 is for travel, family, and backup primarily it seems, but I always have it handy because of the delicious limited primes!

I have to share this by the way... just culling the images from the shoot right now and this one jumped at me.

K3 & 77mm f1.8
Great photo, and yes the intensity jumps out on first glance.

You are different, in that you - like me - already own several systems. We've both "fallen from grace" so we may as well use our toys.

But I would advise a single system owner to really think twice before investing in an "alternate" system. Having just one body and 5 lenses is a far better situation than five bodies and 1 lens per body. Even if that body is a K10D - which I had for many years.

Of course, the above advice is based on an assumption of constrained budget. If cost is no object, by all means buy everything.

11-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Great photo, and yes the intensity jumps out on first glance.

You are different, in that you - like me - already own several systems. We've both "fallen from grace" so we may as well use our toys.

But I would advise a single system owner to really think twice before investing in an "alternate" system. Having just one body and 5 lenses is a far better situation than five bodies and 1 lens per body. Even if that body is a K10D - which I had for many years.

Of course, the above advice is based on an assumption of constrained budget. If cost is no object, by all means buy everything.
bahhahaha yes, buy everything!

I would expand on saying that getting experience by attending courses, meets, workshops etc. is even more valuable than glass or a new camera body.
11-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #159
Veteran Member

bahhahaha yes, buy everything!

I would expand on saying that getting experience by attending courses, meets, workshops etc. is even more valuable than glass or a new camera body.
Agree.

Speaking of our "friend" (completely hypothetical of course, not intending to refer to any specific poster on this thread ...) ...

If he had kept the K20D, and bought a set of FA or DA primes with it, and actually took photos rather than watching Youtube videos, I would suggest his Flickr portfolio would be a lot more "interesting" than it is today.

Who knows, he might even discover what us Pentaxians have known for years - Pentax may not be a leader in camera technology, but they make a camera from a photographer's perspective rather than a manufacturer. Even lapsed Pentaxians like myself who have joined the "dark" (Sony) side.
11-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Mr Bassie.....I've seen plenty of your shots posted here...all you need is the X30, it works wonders in your hands. Get rid of that big bulky box and spend more time X30 shooting......and yes, the X30 will focus in near total darkness...and with Pro Low Light get you a very decent shot!

Regards!
Thanks Rupert. I actually did use the X30 last weekend so don't worry, I will have some toy camera shots to post in you thread.

But sometimes it is fun to try something fancy and new.
11-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
If he had kept the K20D, and bought a set of FA or DA primes with it, and actually took photos rather than watching Youtube videos, I would suggest his Flickr portfolio would be a lot more "interesting" than it is today.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/270...#ixzz3JJA59MOx
Where is your flickr christine? I havent seen you post too many pics. And fyi i barely watch youtube at all. Ive taken almost 3,000 pictures in the last few months. Taking a lot of pictures means nothing. This town im in right now is boring as ****. Look up palo alto california. I've made do with what i have. If i want to shoot somewhere, i have to walk there which kinds of prevents me some discovering amazing locales you know... I dont claim to be so much more amazing than anyone here. I know that what i have cant hold a candle to alot of the pics here. I hope to get myself a car and start taking more exciting stuff but im very proud of what i accomplished as someone stuck in a boring town. I used to shoot a lot of models and i had hoped that there would more of that going on, but this has actually completely disappeared from my life, as when i graduated college i moved far away from them. I dont claim to be the best photographer here, just probably one of the more enthusiastic ones. There are people here that have had years of experience (it seems like most people have racked up atleast 10) and ive only been shooting since early 2012. Hell, even my own parents don't believe in me (guess who payed $2000+ out of their own pocket for their d600), but the first time i started shooting with my cruddy $100 ist ds, i just knew that this is what i wanted to do.

Last edited by neostyles; 11-17-2014 at 12:36 AM.
11-17-2014, 04:22 AM - 3 Likes   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Where is your flickr christine? I havent seen you post too many pics. And fyi i barely watch youtube at all. Ive taken almost 3,000 pictures in the last few months. Taking a lot of pictures means nothing. This town im in right now is boring as ****. Look up palo alto california. I've made do with what i have. If i want to shoot somewhere, i have to walk there which kinds of prevents me some discovering amazing locales you know... I dont claim to be so much more amazing than anyone here. I know that what i have cant hold a candle to alot of the pics here. I hope to get myself a car and start taking more exciting stuff but im very proud of what i accomplished as someone stuck in a boring town. I used to shoot a lot of models and i had hoped that there would more of that going on, but this has actually completely disappeared from my life, as when i graduated college i moved far away from them. I dont claim to be the best photographer here, just probably one of the more enthusiastic ones. There are people here that have had years of experience (it seems like most people have racked up atleast 10) and ive only been shooting since early 2012. Hell, even my own parents don't believe in me (guess who payed $2000+ out of their own pocket for their d600), but the first time i started shooting with my cruddy $100 ist ds, i just knew that this is what i wanted to do.
Christine does post quite a few photos -- most of them are taken with NEX cameras at this point, due to some eye sight problems she can't use standard SLRs much.

To your earlier comments. I will repeat -- menus are unimportant in shooting. Any setting changes I need to make, I can do with one button push, two at the max. I just don't use the menus except initially, when it is easy to find everything I need for initial set up.

Showing a photo of a K20 display, a camera that was released in January of 2008 is silly. What did Nikon menus look like back then?

Your comments about Pentax creating cameras with ergonomics perfect for people with Lego hands is also crazy. If there is one thing that Pentax is known for (with the possible exception of the K-01, which was Marc Newson's baby), it is creating cameras that you can shoot with all day without fatigue. There are folks shooting here who use D600s who have said that if Pentax came out with a full frame they would look at it seriously, because the ergonomics of the D600 aren't great. Take it with a grain of salt. As I said before, ergonomics are very person specific, but certainly the K3 is quite good from that standpoint.

As to your comment about folks buying entry levels not needing things like RAW shooting, they need to have the ability to shoot what they want. Obviously there are a lot of folks who will use green mode and jpegs, but if someone wants to grow as a photographer, they will have an easier time doing it with a K50 than a D5300.

In the end, owning a camera body is about the creation of images and Pentax cameras and lenses have the ability to create images that shine. There are certain types of photography that require full frame or even larger sensors. Printing very big, shooting with really narrow depth of field are things that APS-C struggles with and if someone needs full frame, then Pentax isn't for them.

I shoot Pentax for the glass. Noisy auto focus or not, the glass shines when I go out shooting and lenses like the limiteds, the DA *55, and yes even the DA * zooms take photos that are far better than my limited skill to use them.

FA 31 with the much maligned K-01.

FA 77 and K5 II

DA 15 limited and K3.

11-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
This town im in right now is boring as ****. Look up palo alto california.
OK, according to wiki, in the heart of Silicon Valley, only 30km from San Francisco, over 27 notable points of interest, including Stanford University, 70,000 people, 'one of the most expensive cities in the United States and its residents are among the most educated in the country'.

Sure sounds like a photographic wasteland to me. Must be like living on the surface of the moon, or something.

Last edited by rawr; 11-17-2014 at 04:47 AM.
11-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
OK, according to wiki, in the heart of Silicon Valley, only 30km from San Francisco, over 27 notable points of interest, including Stanford University, 70,000 people, 'one of the most expensive cities in the United States and its residents are among the most educated in the country'.

Sure sounds like a photographic wasteland to me. Must be like living on the surface of the moon, or something.

Agreed. The city is what you make it for shooting. People say the same thing about where I live. But since I started biking everywhere I've found amazing places to shoot and return to them often to see them in the different seasons. There is no end to your photographic adventures if you don't let things like not having a car stand in your way.

A local photographer lives in a town of less than two hundred people and he is a highly published and regarded photographer. Most of his images taken within walking distance.
11-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #165
Pentaxian

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Photos+from+palo+alto&client=safari&rls=en&tb...=1366&bih=1204

Looks like there might be some opportunities...

Last edited by normhead; 11-17-2014 at 09:26 AM.