Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
The k3, pentax's top of the line, doesnt even have continuous autofocus for video.
Neither does the D750.
Nor does the D750 even have basic stuff like focus peaking in video - or even in Live View, which is retarded of Nikon. (The K-3 has excellent focus peaking in Live View).

In the Dpreview video, the video features of the D750 were barely mentioned, so I don't know why it triggered a big anti-Pentax rant from you about video.

12-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #257
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Neither does the D750.
Nor does the D750 even have basic stuff like focus peaking in video - or even in Live View, which is retarded of Nikon. (The K-3 has excellent focus peaking in Live View).

In the Dpreview video, the video features of the D750 were barely mentioned, so I don't know why it triggered a big anti-Pentax rant from you about video.
EOSHD is probably a better bet for video. Nikon D750 Review - initial thoughts and video footage

From what ive shot its quite nice. Zebras are nice inclusion and ill take their better codec and color profile (flat) over Pentaxs any day. This isnt an anti pentax rant in any way, just a reiteration of how solid the video specifications are on this bod.
12-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They could have produced improved versions of the FA Limited lenses already.
Well, as just one example, lets look at how long it took Nikon to roll out a lens like the 70-200 VR II.

Nikon rolled out the original 'FF compatible but not designed for FF' 70-200 f/2.8G IF-ED VR in 2002 when Nikon were only making APS-C bodies. yet they didn't replace it with the f/2.8G ED VR II until 2009, two years after Nikon launched their first FF body. And Nikon still sells and stocks the ancient but popular 80-200 f2.8, which is a film only design which dates from last century (1997).

If that's how Nikon works, that's probably how Pentax will work too. Not everything will happen instantly, everything old will not be immediately trashed.

---------- Post added 2014-12-04 at 06:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Blitz_ Quote
EOSHD is probably a better bet for video. Nikon D750 Review - initial thoughts and video footage
He seems to have changed his mind quickly:
QuoteQuote:
Although it’s a solid offering, the D750’s video output still smacks of mediocre 1080p living in a 4K world, surrounded by cameras which offer more features and better image quality. Although the D750 is definitely a viable alternative in video terms for an older 5D Mark III (without raw) or D800, it sits quite far below the Sony A7S and Panasonic GH4 .

Last edited by rawr; 12-04-2014 at 12:15 AM.
12-04-2014, 12:24 AM   #259
Forum Member

Well, as just one example, lets look at how long it took Nikon to roll out a lens like the 70-200 VR II.

Nikon rolled out the original 'FF compatible but not designed for FF' 70-200 f/2.8G IF-ED VR in 2002 when Nikon were only making APS-C bodies. yet they didn't replace it with the f/2.8G ED VR II until 2009, two years after Nikon launched their first FF body. And Nikon still sells and stocks the ancient but popular 80-200 f2.8, which is a film only design which dates from last century (1997).

If that's how Nikon works, that's probably how Pentax will work too. Not everything will happen instantly, everything old will not be immediately trashed.

---------- Post added 2014-12-04 at 06:14 PM ----------

He seems to have changed his mind quickly:
Yet Nikon also offer a viable 70-200 f4 lens with upgraded VR and a much lighter weight. I own it myself and its a hair sharper across the frame than the 2.8 II. Quite a feat.

Regarding video, just because it's below the A7s and GH4 doesn't mean it isn't capable. In a world full of hybrids, the D750 is a remarkable performer. It will be a cult camera, and I'm willing to lay down money on that statement.

The A7s and GH4 are immensely capable video bodies. Both essentially shoot broadcast quality video that Pentax could only dream of offering. The A7s is the king of high ISO, albeit hampered by external 4K only. The GH4 is helped by a sublime lens ecosystem, though average high ISO. Take your pick for video, both Sony and Panasonic are making terrific video bodies. The D750 is still terrific at general enthusiast use. The FLAT profile helps and the smoother codec is much welcomed.

12-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #260
Veteran Member

Yet Nikon also offer a viable 70-200 f4 lens with upgraded VR and a much lighter weight.
You are missing my point.

Nikon only introduced that FF lens in 2012 - 5 years after they started making FF DSLR's. Yet the expectation seems to be that Pentax would somehow be deficient if they didn't roll out similar lenses the day they announce a FF DSLR of their own.
12-04-2014, 01:32 AM   #261
Forum Member

Nikon only introduced that FF lens in 2012 - 5 years after they started making FF DSLR's. Yet the expectation seems to be that Pentax would somehow be deficient if they didn't roll out similar lenses the day they announce a FF DSLR of their own.
seems kind of unfair for everyone to heap criticism on sony then! they do, after all make the fe55, the highest scoring AF lens of any system. Nikons FX lineup is VERY comprehensive. im so tempted to try that 20 1.8G, it looks like amazing value.

IF pentax moves into FF they'll need to announce, like Sony, at least three lenses on announcement and a lens roadmap. it's going to be hard for Ricoh to push into an established market, especially now that Sony has a FF mirrorless body with 5 axis that will work on any legacy lens. Hard times, indeed....
12-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #262
Veteran Member

the highest scoring AF lens of any system
Hmmm.

Number #19 in the rankings across all systems doesn't seem impressive to me

Camera Lens Ratings by DxOMark - DxOMark

12-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #263
Forum Member

What are you looking at? its achingly close to the otus.

DxOMark Rates Zeiss 55mm FE for Sony A7/A7R as Best Autofocus Lens Ever

---------- Post added 12-04-14 at 05:01 PM ----------

Ill stand by my claims, that chart covers all bodies and lens combos - its still the best AF lens looking at the charts, certainly the best AF 50
12-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #264
Veteran Member

What are you looking at? its achingly close to the otus.
Petapixel are quoting DxOmark from January 2014.

If we are talking best autofocus lens today, excluding the manual focus Otuses, the list looks like this:

#8: Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G tested on Nikon D800E
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G tested on Nikon D800E

#10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II tested on Nikon D800E

#12 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM A Nikon tested on Nikon D800E

#14 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II (Nikon D810)

#16 Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G (Nikon D810)
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G (Nikon D810)

#19 Sony FE Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 55mm F1.8 ZA (Sony A7R)

In the whole ranking table, the cheap and cheerful Nikon 85mm f/1.8G certainly seems to be punching above it's weight.
12-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #265
Forum Member

Cant be fair to have the 85 1.4 and 1.8 in there multiple times? I'll stand by it, when they first tested it the FF55 was the highest scoring AF lens still the highest AF 50 too! Its called the mini otus for a reason
12-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #266
Veteran Member

Original Poster

You are missing one really important point with the Nikon comparison. When Nikon rolled out a the D3 in 2007 it was only 12MP. If Ricoh is going to use the Sony sensor in the A7s and roll out a 12MP body, then they can also slowly roll out new glass. The lower resolution sensors used by Canon and Nikon allowed them to slowing update their lens line up as they evolved with sensor resolution. Maybe that is the plan.
12-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #267
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You are missing one really important point with the Nikon comparison. When Nikon rolled out a the D3 in 2007 it was only 12MP. If Ricoh is going to use the Sony sensor in the A7s and roll out a 12MP body, then they can also slowly roll out new glass. The lower resolution sensors used by Canon and Nikon allowed them to slowing update their lens line up as they evolved with sensor resolution. Maybe that is the plan.
Why is that something to quibble about? I have heard it more times than I can count that it doesn't matter if you are using great lenses or cheap lenses, full frame is better than APS-C (and easier on lenses) and that even the cheapest Nikon lenses benefit from resolution increase going to a D800 from a D700.

Obviously Pentax would need new zooms for a full frame camera, since they don't have any full frame capable ones in the current line up. But I think current full frame primes will be fine on either 24 or 36 megapixel full frame.

Last edited by Rondec; 12-04-2014 at 11:41 AM.
12-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #268
Veteran Member

Please, the only thing that does 4k without an external recording and costing an insane amount is the gh4.. and that's not full frame. I love my d600 for video..

You can watch it in it's full, super high quality on vimeo!
12-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
the only thing that does 4k without an external recording and costing an insane amount is the gh4.
If you don't count the Sony A7s or the Samsung NX-1 DSLR, and about a dozen mobile phones (like the Experia Z3):

List of 4K video recording devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
12-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #270
Veteran Member

Still most of these things dont have very good stills. The A7s looks like it's great for video but it only shoots 12 megapixel stills, which seems like it is roughly half the average megapixel count these days. For the person who only wants video i guess its fine, but its really great to have great video and stils right at your finger tips The d750 is (from what i can tell, and in the tradition of nikon) fantastic at what it does. 1080p is arguably still the standard. Most 4k tvs cost so much the average person cant afford them (plus, with the very limited amount of movies out in 4k is there really a point?) and the bandwidth needed to actually stream 4k content over the internet isnt actually widely available. Btw, the a7s does require an external recorder. With the d750 you get full frame video and fantastic stills. I mean, i havent really used any other video package that wasn't full frame so i dont really have much of a reference point but im almost certain that full frame benefits video as much as stills The A7 series is very appealing in this regard, especially given its small size.

The fz1000 is intriguing def. Didnt know about that. Was about to make a witty comment about the bitrate on smartphone 4k but the note 3 shoots at 50 mpbs. not bad xD

Last edited by neostyles; 12-05-2014 at 04:30 PM.