Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #331
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Nikon ergonomics have always been relatively bad. That is why every review your read about the new D750 talks about how much better the new grip is. The Df is simply awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obRn__ZBq2A
I find my D700 to be lovely, personally. It's no K-5, sure, but it's better than just about anything else on the market. Nikon has typically had a harder time when it comes to ergonomics on smaller bodies, admittedly.

12-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Nikon D600 is defenitely usable with one hand. Went out in the rain a week or so ago and i only had one hand to use as the other hand was holding the umbrella. If nikon ergonomics were so bad why many pros use them for long wedding shoots? l All i need is the shutter button and the ae/af lock button which is conveniently placed where my thumb naturally falls. On the k3's its awkwardly placed to the side. Of course, this is hard to judge from a photo, but the buttons on the k3 look like they would be kind of slippery in the rain, where as with the d750 they are nice and grippy.

I disagree. If anything, the movie/stills switch really draws your eyes to it. I think the fact that the live view button is the movie record button will also be confusing to many people. Im not blind, it would be kind of hard to see the massive red button, but it thogutht "wait thats the movie record button, live view couldnt be that or could it." It took me a few minutes to figure out whereas with the 610, i just instantly put my finger (literally ) The live view button/movie switch combo is considerably bigger (so it is decidedly much more prominant) and it's right on the back of the camera, where most people would expect the controls to be. Its easily reachible by your thumb. The AE lock buttom is nicely raised which makes it a breeze to get too, where as with the pentax its very much "sunk" in. The pentax tries to most of the controls on the right side which results in it feeling crowded imho. Everything is very much self explanatory with the nikon. Looking at that picture, even if i havent been shooting nikon for the last 6 months i can instantly tell how to change iso. Cant say the same for the pentax, which feels crowded by comparison. The green button is far too close to the movie/stills switch, so you cant tell if it has something to do with shooting movies or if it's something else. That switch is pretty awkwardly designed too imho. It doesnt even line up with the "movie" or "stills", instead its "whatever its closest too is what is selected." Where is the speaker on the k3? Ok, according to the manual, it's right there on the top, but its much smaller and it doesnt even face you. Plus, look at that rear grip. It only runs part way (because they wanted to squeeze in everything on the right side) where as with the nikon its big enough for your whole hand.
Where is the green button on your Nikon cameras?

It's an awfully handy button to have in my opinion and one that is missing from Nikon's repertoire.
12-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Where is the green button on your Nikon cameras?

It's an awfully handy button to have in my opinion and one that is missing from Nikon's repertoire.
I would much rather have a dedicate iso button which seems to be lacking on the pentax..
12-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #334

neostyles, it seems you know nothing about Pentax cameras at all.

12-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #335
Pentaxian

I would much rather have a dedicate iso button which seems to be lacking on the pentax..
You really should stop posting about the K-3, since you clearly have no knowledge of the camera. Talk about the D600 all you like, of course, but perhaps skip any K-3 discussion.

12-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #336
Veteran Member

Well then i stand correctly. My apologies gentlemen. I have been very sleep deprived as of late.

I know atleast something about pentax i would humbly submit

Last edited by neostyles; 02-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.
12-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #337
Veteran Member

Well then i stand correctly. My apologies gentlemen. I have been very sleep deprived as of late.

Yeah, a lot has happened since that camera and half of the stuff you claim only Nikon offers is actually there in the K3.

12-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Yeah, a lot has happened since that camera and half of the stuff you claim only Nikon offers is actually there in the K3.
Oh no, i dont get me wrong, i realize that! In fact, ive been wanting to check out a k3 but i dont know of anywhere that offers pentax. I will be up in washington over the break so maybe i will see what kind of camera stores there are. Still i think pentax is kind of hurting itself by not modernizing their cameras. Spec sheets aside, i think a lot of their cameras still do carry a slightly dated feel when put up against the big names. We still have yet to see any articulating screens (atleasr on a camera that is affordable by the average person), built in wif, or a touch screen. Pentax really cant seem to get their af or video up to to par with the big names. The video on the 645 was kind of disappointing. Had it been good, i might have considered getting one in the distant future.

If you compare certain things like the calendar view on the d750 and the date/time play back on the k3 there is no comparison, really. Thd d750 is much more user friendly.

Last edited by neostyles; 12-20-2014 at 05:15 PM.
12-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has both. The green button is seriously handy. Push the ISO button and spin the back dial and set a specific ISO to go back to auto ISO, just hit the ISO button and the green button. Same with EV compensation. I would hate to do without it.
12-21-2014, 04:49 AM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Neostyles, reading your "facts", IMHO you need to say less, and read more of what these good people have been telling you.

Last edited by clackers; 12-21-2014 at 11:31 AM.
12-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #341
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still i think pentax is kind of hurting itself by not modernizing their cameras. Spec sheets aside, i think a lot of their cameras still do carry a slightly dated feel when put up against the big names. We still have yet to see any articulating screens (atleasr on a camera that is affordable by the average person), built in wif, or a touch screen. Pentax really cant seem to get their af or video up to to par with the big names. The video on the 645 was kind of disappointing. Had it been good, i might have considered getting one in the distant future.

If you compare certain things like the calendar view on the d750 and the date/time play back on the k3 there is no comparison, really. Thd d750 is much more user friendly.
The K-3 has a lot of features that the big 2 don't. In-Body IS. Select-able AA filter. Build quality that is better any other APS-C body on the market. The only APS-C body with better IQ might be the Samsung N-X1 with the new BSI sensor.

The most important things I look for in a camera are image quality, consistency, and performance. The 7DII probably has a performance edge, but IQ is a couple of years behind. The jury is still out on the Samsung NX-1.

Features like tilt screen or touch screen are of limited value. Do they have advantages in certain situations? Sure, but they are pretty minor features for most photographers. HD video people probably feel differently, but serious HD video people aren't buying K-3s. WiFi is another feature that I like, but don't really use. I still have not set it up on my A7m2. Compared to USB 3.0, WiFi is like watching paint dry when it comes to image transfer. I have only had a use for the Flu-card twice this past year. Both involved bands who wanted a couple of immediate images for social media.

Is Pentax AF behind Canon, Nikon, Sony? Yes. Part of that is the lenses are slow, but take the Canon 85L for a spin and it is just as slow. The K-3 is faster than my Canon 5D and I used that professionally for 5 years. The 5DII has the same AF as the 5D.

I'm as critical of Pentax/Ricoh as anyone on this board when it comes to many of the things they do or have done. The K-3 however is one of the best APS-C cameras on the market and at the current price it is by far the best value on the market.
12-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #342
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon D750

I do believe the camera store TV stated that the K3 is built for photographer and has one of the best button and control layouts ever.....

Pretty sure I agree

For all the cameras I have ever own the K3 is the most comfortable to use and the camera I do the least amount of menu diving. Followed by the D800, then EM1, k5, k20, then the D600, Q, A7, and finally the Nikon J1

While I could be considered a Nikon convert....not one of the arguments in this thread on what the D750 can do over the K3 has me sold....

What about a rear AF on button that doesn't use the AE/L button? What about the utterly stupid ISO button placement...don't know if you can map the ISO to a custom button like on the D800....but it's in a terrible spot on the 6xx and 750.

Truth be told I was gonna buy a D750 yesterday. But I bought an EM1 instead.
12-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #343
Veteran Member

a) The d750 is full frame
b) The d600 has a number of custom buttons and im pretty sure the same is true for the d750
c) I hate to say it but choosing the em1 might have not exactly been the greatest choice
d) What i love about the nikon is the fantastic feel of the controls. The AE/L button is so easily accessible that it really becomes integral to your creative process. You dont even have to take your eye off the subject, it just happens without you thinking about it.
e) The iso button is fine. The left side buttons have a great tactile feel to them and you can just put your finger on the second one from the bottom. I frequently hit the iso button without taking my eye off the subject.
d) I dont understand what you mean by af button? You have that ever so awesome switch on the front that not only lets you change between af and mf but also gives you one touch access to all the af settings you could want.

Idk why you went with an em1. Aside from the huge advantage in sensor size on the d750 you are also losing (well according to google images) alot of the dedicated buttons. Now, i did actually just wake up but i cant see any buttons for iso, wb, etc. Seems a little bare bones compared to the nikon. Not to mention the zillions of lenses you can choose from with nikon.
12-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a) The d750 is full frame
b) The d600 has a number of custom buttons and im pretty sure the same is true for the d750
c) I hate to say it but choosing the em1 might have not exactly been the greatest choice
d) What i love about the nikon is the fantastic feel of the controls. The AE/L button is so easily accessible that it really becomes integral to your creative process. You dont even have to take your eye off the subject, it just happens without you thinking about it.
e) The iso button is fine. The left side buttons have a great tactile feel to them and you can just put your finger on the second one from the bottom. I frequently hit the iso button without taking my eye off the subject.
d) I dont understand what you mean by af button? You have that ever so awesome switch on the front that not only lets you change between af and mf but also gives you one touch access to all the af settings you could want.

Idk why you went with an em1. Aside from the huge advantage in sensor size on the d750 you are also losing (well according to google images) alot of the dedicated buttons. Now, i did actually just wake up but i cant see any buttons for iso, wb, etc. Seems a little bare bones compared to the nikon. Not to mention the zillions of lenses you can choose from with nikon.
Wired owns a full frame camera -- a D800, if you read his post. He owned a D600 prior and couldn't deal with the clumsiness of the controls. He has also owned an EM-5 previously and I think he knows what he is getting into with Olympus. The EM-5 is a lot smaller system than anything Nikon offers and still has really nice image quality. It certainly won't challenge a D800 or D4s in low light situations, but it will be fine in most situations. Not every situation calls for full frame, that's for sure.
12-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I do believe the camera store TV stated that the K3 is built for photographer and has one of the best button and control layouts ever.....

Pretty sure I agree

For all the cameras I have ever own the K3 is the most comfortable to use and the camera I do the least amount of menu diving. Followed by the D800, then EM1, k5, k20, then the D600, Q, A7, and finally the Nikon J1

While I could be considered a Nikon convert....not one of the arguments in this thread on what the D750 can do over the K3 has me sold....

What about a rear AF on button that doesn't use the AE/L button? What about the utterly stupid ISO button placement...don't know if you can map the ISO to a custom button like on the D800....but it's in a terrible spot on the 6xx and 750.

Truth be told I was gonna buy a D750 yesterday. But I bought an EM1 instead.
The AF mode button/lever combo on my D800e/D810 cameras is hell when I have the sigma 120-300 F2.8 attached. You have to use the left hand and thus requires removing support for the lens/mount or putting the camera down to adjust.

The ISO button, on the other hand (corny joke), can be remapped to the video record button on the top of the cameras with the latest firmwares.

It would be cool if cameras could use voice recognition to allow setup & mode changes on the fly.