Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #346
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It would be cool if cameras could use voice recognition to allow setup & mode changes on the fly.
Hell, no! It's weird enough watching my father talk to his car, if photographers started to talk to their cameras in this super artificial, slow, clear voice (otherwise the system won't get it) the public would finally declare us all lunatics.

12-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #347
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Hell, no! It's weird enough watching my father talk to his car, if photographers started to talk to their cameras in this super artificial, slow, clear voice (otherwise the system won't get it) the public would finally declare us all lunatics.
You could always take a favourite blow up doll with you and pretend she was an assistant.
12-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #348
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF mode button/lever combo on my D800e/D810 cameras is hell when I have the sigma 120-300 F2.8 attached. You have to use the left hand and thus requires removing support for the lens/mount or putting the camera down to adjust.

The ISO button, on the other hand (corny joke), can be remapped to the video record button on the top of the cameras with the latest firmwares.

It would be cool if cameras could use voice recognition to allow setup & mode changes on the fly.

Very valid argument for the AF mode button. I've never changed it since I've set up back button AF though to each their own, so many different ways to do the same thing.

I know about the d800 ISO button because I was super excited and even ran home to grab my camera at lunch the day that firmware update came out! Did they allow this on the 750 is the question

In other news...how does one enable back button AF on the OMD EM1?
12-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Very valid argument for the AF mode button. I've never changed it since I've set up back button AF though to each their own, so many different ways to do the same thing.

I know about the d800 ISO button because I was super excited and even ran home to grab my camera at lunch the day that firmware update came out! Did they allow this on the 750 is the question

In other news...how does one enable back button AF on the OMD EM1?
The thing about the AF Mode lever/button combo is that you still have to press that button to scroll through available focus point setups - with a heavy lens you risk damaging the mount.

12-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #350
Veteran Member

Why scroll through? Don't you just set it for whatever your doing that day? I know for any kind of action I use 3D tracking single point selection. For portraits I use single point selection. And always AFC. Works for me

But I do get it. My lens mount already feels loose with my 70-200 a bit
12-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Why scroll through? Don't you just set it for whatever your doing that day? I know for any kind of action I use 3D tracking single point selection. For portraits I use single point selection. And always AFC. Works for me

But I do get it. My lens mount already feels loose with my 70-200 a bit
I normally have it to the same settings as you but I do change it away from 3-D at times. It's not so bad with the 70-200 VRII but the Sigma can be a touchy lens to focus. I possibly looking to sell that lens in the NY I think as the weight is just too much for an old guy like me.
12-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #352
Veteran Member

The AF mode button/lever combo on my D800e/D810 cameras is hell when I have the sigma 120-300 F2.8 attached. You have to use the left hand and thus requires removing support for the lens/mount or putting the camera down to adjust.

The ISO button, on the other hand (corny joke), can be remapped to the video record button on the top of the cameras with the latest firmwares.

I got a flashback to the sylvester stallone versio of dredd where he programs his gun with voice commands lol. Sony is heading in that direction defenitely. Having apps on your camera is very cool.

12-22-2014, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Wired owns a full frame camera -- a D800, if you read his post. He owned a D600 prior and couldn't deal with the clumsiness of the controls. He has also owned an EM-5 previously and I think he knows what he is getting into with Olympus. The EM-5 is a lot smaller system than anything Nikon offers and still has really nice image quality. It certainly won't challenge a D800 or D4s in low light situations, but it will be fine in most situations. Not every situation calls for full frame, that's for sure.
Very very true. 35mm is not the be all end all. There is no one format to rule them all, this is why I have Q, m4/3, APSC, 35mm, and 645 in my stable. granted the D800 does get the most work. But the K3 is a very capable backup kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
a) The d750 is full frame
I own a D800 already, and your link even stipulates three of the main reasons I still own and use my K3 on a regular basis:
QuoteQuote:
Harder to get enough depth of field for those shots that need it
You need the best lenses and best technique to properly exploit any advantage in quality
Telephotos don’t have the same ‘reach’ on an FX camera compared to the 1.5x focal factor of DX cameras

QuoteQuote:
b) The d600 has a number of custom buttons and im pretty sure the same is true for the d750
The D600 custom buttons, when I owned it, were useless as you could not move ISO to a button that is within reach of a finger on your right hand. If you wanted to switch iso settings or move to auto-iso you had to goto the back corner button which was overly frustrating. not to mention that if you wanted to use back button AF and exposure lock your screwed on the D600/D750 as you only have the one button.

QuoteQuote:
c) I hate to say it but choosing the em1 might have not exactly been the greatest choice
oh-ho ho! but it is... lets look at the reasons why I purchased this camera:
- Size and weight of camera and lenses
- image stabilization in both stills and video modes
- more depth of field for video while using a larger aperture (remember, in video you should be setting your shutter speed to double that of the frame rate. so if your shooting 30fps, your shutter should be 1/60 and locked there!)
- way more focus points
- deeper buffer
- better AF tracking
- 10fps vs 6.5

QuoteQuote:
d) What i love about the nikon is the fantastic feel of the controls. The AE/L button is so easily accessible that it really becomes integral to your creative process. You dont even have to take your eye off the subject, it just happens without you thinking about it.
The control layout of Nikons are crap once you have come from a Pentax camera for years. You realize how behind they really are. I can reach every button I need on my Pentax K3 or K5 without lowering the camera from my eyes. This includes changing ISO, changing from jpg/raw/raw+ modes, optical preview, level control, switching primary memory card slots, exposure compensation, exposure lock, back button af, bracketing, white balance, and more! The only thing I can't do is change metering settings.

On my D800 I have a button setup to access my quick menu because I don't have these quick options available. I also need to dive a lot deeper to get at interval movie modes. The custom buttons are locked to certain functions depending on the button placement...therefore not truly custom. I can set any custom function button on my EM1 to be whatever I want it to be no matter its location.

My D600 required me to menu dive a lot. "upgrading" from my K5 to the D600 actually felt like a giant leap backwards for me in terms of user friendliness. The main reason I went to the D800 was not the mind-boggling resolution and image quality (it helped), it was the fact that the ergonomics and button placements are that much closer to that of my Pentax cameras. There are functions and features I wish my D800 had that my Pentax has... but not the other way around.

QuoteQuote:
e) The iso button is fine. The left side buttons have a great tactile feel to them and you can just put your finger on the second one from the bottom. I frequently hit the iso button without taking my eye off the subject.
no, not it's not. it's in a cruddy position, especially when using a 70-200mm f2.8 VRII. If I was shooting fashion runways with a D600 I would have thrown it on the ground in frustration with how often I'm changing settings between iso/shutter/aperture. The d800 lets me do it much more fluidly. Same thing for shooting live music.

QuoteQuote:
d) I dont understand what you mean by af button? You have that ever so awesome switch on the front that not only lets you change between af and mf but also gives you one touch access to all the af settings you could want.
The D800 and Pentax K3 have this awesome little button on the back called AF-ON. Its right where your thumb rests, different from the AEL button, but lucky for you one can set the AEL button to work as AF-ON button on the D750/D600. What this does is allow you to go from manual focus, to constant auto focus, to single shot autofocus without changing ANY settings on your camera. I can focus manually and hit the shutter without the camera refocusing. I can hold down the AF-On button and track my subjects. I can lock on my target with the AF button, release and recompose without the camera changing focus when I finally hit the shutter. It is the most brilliant focusing system ever...and Pentax and Nikon both have it.

I highly recommend you read this thread, and I'm being serious. This is the most amazing feature of our cameras ever. It will change the way you shoot.

QuoteQuote:
Idk why you went with an em1. Aside from the huge advantage in sensor size on the d750 you are also losing (well according to google images) alot of the dedicated buttons. Now, i did actually just wake up but i cant see any buttons for iso, wb, etc. Seems a little bare bones compared to the nikon. Not to mention the zillions of lenses you can choose from with nikon.
I'll take this in a few different parts. First of all, the EM1 is the most versatile camera in terms of buttons I've ever used. The problem with all the cameras I've mentioned in this thread is that there are buttons that I will just straight up NEVER use. or I set them once and never need them again (AF/MF switch for example). On the EM1 I can set it up however I want. For example: FN1 is ISO, AEL/AFL works as my AF back button technique. The FN2 button gives me quick access to bracketing, the two forward buttons give me one touch white balance (how awesome is this), as well as optical depth of field preview. For white balance I flip the switch down and I can adjust it manually from there without menu diving.

The EM1 beats the D800 (and K3) in sheer speed. It is unbelievably quick! We are talking close to Nikon D4 kind of quick. We are talking 10fps, a very large and quick buffer, auto-focus that locks on faster than you can blink and is stone dead accurate. Let me paint you a picture... your shooting a fashion runway. The ideal full length photo is getting the front foot flat on the runway with the rear foot just starting to lift off. On the D800 you need to time that perfectly, on the EM1 you can spray 5 shots off and get that image. Not only that, but your buffer wont run out after shooting 25 images and you have to wait 30 seconds (the time it takes TWO models to complete their walk) so you can get every single person that walks down that stage. You also don't have to worry about running out of memory as it is only 16mp vs 24 or 36mp. You also have a much wider AF point spread which allows you to track longer without recomposing.

Then there is the weight factor. Same idea, shooting a runway. One is holding a D800 with vertical grip and 70-200 f2.8 lens in shooting position for about an hour straight. That is 2.7 kilograms (6lbs) of weight your holding in shooting position for an hour. Do you have any idea how painful that gets? vs the EM1 with 35-100mm f2.8 lens and grip weighing in around 800 grams....or the same weight as a D800 body without battery or memory card. Stunning. Then there is also the fact I can still shoot at f2.8 instead of f3.5 to get the whole models face in shot and not just her eyes when she reaches the front of the runway.

Wanna talk lenses? Here is what I own:

Pentax DA 10-17 fisheye
Pentax 15mm f4
Pentax 40mm f2.8
Pentax DA*16-50mm f2.8
Pentax DA*50-135mm f2.8
Pentax DA*55mm f1.4
Pentax FA 31mm f1.8
Pentax FA 43mm f1.9
Pentax FA 77mm f1.8

Tokina 16-35mm f4
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 AF-S G
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII
Nikon 85mm f1.8 G
Nikon 135mm f2.0 DC
Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART
Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro (well not yet... its in the mail though)

Olympus 45mm f1.8
Olympus 12mm f2.0
Panasonic 25mm f1.4
Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8

When it comes to m4/3 I can find an equivalent lens for all but two lenses in my Nikon mount lineup...those being the UWA zoom and the very unique 135mm f2.0 DC. However, I have access with m4/3 a lens that is 150mm f2.0 equivalent. show me one of those in Nikon's lineup? (or Canon's). Not to mention I can thrown on an adapter to my EM1 and turn my 70-200mm f2.8 into a 140mm-400mm f2.8!!!! shoot the moon? yes I think I will.

I think the problem your facing in this D750 vs Pentax vs Olympus vs ___________ is that you simple do not have the experience yet, and thats okay. We all started somewhere. Heck, 3 years ago if you told me that today I would be professional photographer taking images of pretty people and making money from it, I would have told you that you shouldn't eat at Taco Delmar anymore. The truth is that these things are all tools now, especially the Nikon, I have NO lenses to add to my bag that I need to do the things I do, and I do add now are either redundant or just won't be used. I bring the best tools for the job for the situation I'm shooting. The EM1 filled more boxes when it came to my occupational needs than the D750 does. Therefore it came home.

How do you cure such a thing? You get out and shoot shoot shoot. Digital has taken a huge cost burden from us, there is no reason aside from the creative slump we always get into from time to time to stop us from shooting. Hell the only reason why I'm not shooting right now is because I've had way to much to drink tonight (I found a really nice Scotch if your interested). Hence also why your getting this post from me.

For example:

Wedding:
D800 w/24-70mm f2.8 & 70-200mm f2.8
Pentax K3 w/77mm and 31mm

Fashion runway:
D800 w/70-200mm f2.8
EM1 w/35-100mm f2.8 and 25mm f1.4

Shooting a live band:
Pentax K3 w/16-50 and 50-135 as well as Rode video mic pro

Shooting a fashion session:
Pentax 645 w/75mm f2.8
D800 with 50mm f1.4 ART and 135mm f2.0 DC
Pentax K3 with 77mm f1.8 and 43mm f1.8
OMD EM5 with 45mm f1.8

Shooting a lifestyle photo session:
EM5 with 24mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8, and 35-100 f2.8
K3 with DA*16-50 and 50-135

---------- Post added 12-22-2014 at 12:55 AM ----------

I normally have it to the same settings as you but I do change it away from 3-D at times. It's not so bad with the 70-200 VRII but the Sigma can be a touchy lens to focus. I possibly looking to sell that lens in the NY I think as the weight is just too much for an old guy like me.
that lens looks amazing. I totally get it on the weight. My 70-200 kicks my butt more than I would like.

Last edited by Wired; 12-22-2014 at 01:05 AM.
12-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #354
Veteran Member

Well, i am pretty poor at the moment. Unlike most people here, i cant afford to live in more one world. I went with nikon primarily because it was a big name. I can go to the camera store and i actually get my hands on the camera before i put down thousands of dollars. Nikon has zillions of third party accessories to choose from. Besides i really prefer the simplicity of doing so. Some people have a superate camera for stills and video but i just want one thing that delivers on both fronts. Typically its been nikon that owns stills whereas canon has a slight edge when it comes to video. I dont want to switch to canon because i would give up stills, among other things. I briefly looked at the 6D (which is sort of canons answer to the d600) but it has much less going for it. Only a single card slow, much fewer af points, quite a bit less dynamic range, etc.

Maybe its just lack of experience, but i generally know what kind of af im going to use roughly. If im going to do portraits, afs works fine (the d600 makes it a piece of cake to choose af points), and if im going to do action, 3d tracking af is the way to go. So i dont know why it would be so essential to be able to go from manual to af to quickly. I dont see why you would need 40 raw shots in continuous mode. If the 25 on the d750 isnt enough..

The 750 has some considerable advantages over the em1
-It has much, much better battary life. We are talking 300-something shots vs over a thousand. This has has changed how i shoot because i just need the body + a lens for many shoots. I shot 1200 jpeg shots on a single battery one day i believe. Having such little gear to bog you down really does free you up creatively.
-4x the sensor size. Going full frame has helped me get some amazing portraits shots because of the fantastic subject isolation. I dont have to pay for expensive lenses for this either. Ive done most of my portrait work with my 50mm1.8G.
-Much, much bigger selection of lenses. Snapsort claims almost 200 lenses vs around 40.

Seems like af and dr and a little lacking here. Even with that buffer and high frame rate, you still need to be able to track things and yes, not everything is true on the internet, but the above review says that tracking isnt exactly a strength. Looks like a fun camera for casual shooting i guess, but i think the d750 would be miles better for professional work. To date, nikon//canon are still the most popular for pro work. Sony seems promising so im stoked to see how the a9.

I dont really have a huge selection of gear atm. Everything i own can actually fit into this $20 bag
Amazon.com : AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag (Orange interior) : Photographic Equipment Bags : Camera & Photo

All i have at the moment is a a d600 + 24-85 + 50mm1.8D

First lens works very nicely for
, and the second lens is nice for portraits. I would love to do weddings but i dont really know if what i have is sufficient for one. I was amazed at what i could get out a $100 lens with the 50mm

Last edited by neostyles; 02-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.
12-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #355
Veteran Member

Nikon D750

Well, i am pretty poor at the moment. Unlike most people here, i cant afford to live in more one world. I went with nikon primarily because it was a big name. I can go to the camera store and i actually get my hands on the camera before i put down thousands of dollars. Nikon has zillions of third party accessories to choose from. Besides i really prefer the simplicity of doing so. Some people have a superate camera for stills and video but i just want one thing that delivers on both fronts. Typically its been nikon that owns stills whereas canon has a slight edge when it comes to video. I dont want to switch to canon because i would give up stills, among other things. I briefly looked at the 6D (which is sort of canons answer to the d600) but it has much less going for it. Only a single card slow, much fewer af points, quite a bit less dynamic range, etc.

Maybe its just lack of experience, but i generally know what kind of af im going to use roughly. If im going to do portraits, afs works fine (the d600 makes it a piece of cake to choose af points), and if im going to do action, 3d tracking af is the way to go. So i dont know why it would be so essential to be able to go from manual to af to quickly. I dont see why you would need 40 raw shots in continuous mode. If the 25 on the d750 isnt enough..

The 750 has some considerable advantages over the em1

-It has much, much better battary life. We are talking 300-something shots vs over a thousand. This has has changed how i shoot because i just need the body + a lens for many shoots. I shot 1200 jpeg shots on a single battery one day i believe. Having such little gear to bog you down really does free you up creatively.

-4x the sensor size. Going full frame has helped me get some amazing portraits shots because of the fantastic subject isolation. I dont have to pay for expensive lenses for this either. Ive done most of my portrait work with my 50mm1.8G.

-Much, much bigger selection of lenses. Snapsort claims almost 200 lenses vs around 40.

Olympus OMD EM1 Review - Mirrorless in The Bronx NEW** - YouTube

Seems like af and dr and a little lacking here. Even with that buffer and high frame rate, you still need to be able to track things and yes, not everything is true on the internet, but the above review says that tracking isnt exactly a strength. Looks like a fun camera for casual shooting i guess, but i think the d750 would be miles better for professional work. To date, nikon//canon are still the most popular for pro work. Sony seems promising so im stoked to see how the a9.

I dont really have a huge selection of gear atm. Everything i own can actually fit into this $20 bag

Amazon.com : AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag (Orange interior) : Photographic Equipment Bags : Camera & Photo

First lens works very nicely for landscapes/time, and the second lens is nice for portraits. I would love to do weddings but i dont really know if what i have is sufficient for one. I was amazed at what i could get out a $100 lens with the 50mm

You obviously didn't read my whole reply as you would have ready exactly why the EM1 is a much better camera for what I bought it for (shooting fashion runway and as a lightweight travel camera) compared to the D750.

The change of ergonomics from a D800 would be too confusing as well. Which makes no sense I know as I'm hot swapping between D800/K3/EM1/645. But it's much easier switching systems than bodies for me for some bizarre reason.

25 raw images is my enough in the buffer when shooting runway.

Yea FF has its advantages, especially for portrait and studio work. It's absolutely amazing, but it won't make you a better photographer. None of these cameras will.

Battery life does matter too, and yes it's a huge advantage for any non-mirror less camera.

It's not about money. I'm a professional, I make money with my camera. It is a tool. All my gear pays for itself and has not been put on a credit card. If I was still a hobbyist I would not have bought into Nikon. I would have stayed with my Pentax and been incredibly happy. Because of how much better value the brand is over any other and how absolutely wonderful the image quality is.

90% of the people who buy a K3/D750/D800/5Dmk3 are not going to take full advantage of the body (myself included). I know people shooting with old K20D and kit lens who can blow most of us away with their skills.

You work with what you have.

But saying one camera is better than any other is silly if you don't understand what they are looking for. It would be like trying to sell a young couple who's expecting a child a Chevy Camaro when they really want a Tahoe

Regarding Back AF button operation...you seriously just need to try it and learn what it will do for your shooting

Last edited by Wired; 12-22-2014 at 09:48 PM.
12-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #356
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Why are you here, Neostyles?

A year ago you were called a Nikon trollboy by another member.

You've never owned anything Pentax since a K-20 and were saying how you were going with a plasticky 3200 as a replacement for it.

Looking at your Flickr feed, which you give as https://www.flickr.com/photos/jack_murdock/, there's nothing to show for that D600!

So why pretend to know more than veterans like Winder, Rondec and Bossa?

I've found these people are great guys to learn from - you should do the same.

Last edited by clackers; 12-22-2014 at 09:48 PM.
12-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #357
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Looking at your Flickr feed, which you give as https://www.flickr.com/photos/jack_murdock/, there's nothing to show for that D600!
There are now!
12-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #358

what do you think of this reflection issue?

Nikon D750 reflection/flare issue - possible solution found | Nikon Rumors

any experience?
12-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #359
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Petapixel did a thing on it: Nikon D750 Owners Reporting a Dark Band Problem That Causes Ugly Lens Flares

According to some users, they discovered that it's the AF module sticking out more than it should that is causing the problem. In cameras with the issue, any flare is reflected off the module (or something, because it's a reflection, not a shadow) and causes the nice rectangular flare. Some commenters say it's not a problem because they use lens hoods, but I think they have no idea what flare means. No matter how good the lens is, there will always be one situation where it flares (even the DA 15) - and I highly doubt that there are that many lenses as good as the DA 15 in flare resistance.
12-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #360
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Why are you here, Neostyles?

A year ago you were called a Nikon trollboy by another member.

You've never owned anything Pentax since a K-20 and were saying how you were going with a plasticky 3200 as a replacement for it.
tw

So why pretend to know more than veterans like Winder, Rondec and Bossa?

I've found these people are great guys to learn from - you should do the same.
Quite the opposite! People here have inspired me! Its actually thanks to their inspiration that when i found myself in palo alto, i didnt just go "eh nothing to shoot here." I continued to shoot because thats what i love to do! The d3200 was nice, and yes it was my original plan because i would have never guessed that i would have been able to afford a d600, but i would have gladly taken a d3200.

Last edited by neostyles; 12-25-2014 at 02:12 AM.