Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #526

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IN fact, apart from forum discussion on objects coming straight at me, I've never needed it. It's great the D750 can do that, but for me and many others, it's still not a selling point.
I have a D750 and I use its AF.C mode all the time. Really, I just don't use AF.S at all. AF.C + eye recognition work so great that it's just impossible to focus with more precision anything alive. AF.C + eye recognition is extremly helpful when photographing portraits wide open. Even adults don't stay still and any slight movement will make their eyes out of focus.

06-18-2015, 04:57 AM   #527
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
I tried my pollen test with the K5iis
Really, with Pentax/Canon/Nikon/Sony/Panasonic/Olympus/Samsung having introduced so many models over recent years, you could get any result you want if you want to say 'Brand X' AF is better than 'Brand Y' AF, just by cherry-picking the models you are working with.

Want to say Canon AF-C is garbage on full-frame compared to a K-3? Shoot your tests with a Canon 6D. Want to say Pentax AF tracking is garbage compared to the D750? Shoot your tests with a Pentax with 11 AF points and only rudimentary tracking like the K-5IIs.
06-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #528
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Really, with Pentax/Canon/Nikon/Sony/Panasonic/Olympus/Samsung having introduced so many models over recent years, you could get any result you want if you want to say 'Brand X' AF is better than 'Brand Y' AF, just by cherry-picking the models you are working with.

Want to say Canon AF-C is garbage on full-frame compared to a K-3? Shoot your tests with a Canon 6D. Want to say Pentax AF tracking is garbage compared to the D750? Shoot your tests with a Pentax with 11 AF points and only rudimentary tracking like the K-5IIs.
I shoot with the gear I have. I'm not cherry picking. I just don't have an unlimited budget that I can use to attempt to satisfy strangers on the internet.

I'm totally open to the possibility that the K3, K3-II or the Pentax FF have, or will have, better AF than my k5iis. However, my experiences with the K5iis soured me on spending more $$ to find out if the K3 was better enough.

I can't really stress enough how impressive the AF is on the D750. It constantly surprises me even after six months of shooting with it.

I was surprised that it got any of the pollen shots in focus, let alone 4 of 13. I didn't preplan that test. I just happened to notice the swarm of huge pollen chunks wafting around when I had my camera on my shoulder. I took one series of shots, got in my car and drove away without even reviewing the shots.

I was equally shocked that the K5iis couldn't track the pollen at all because I know from experience that it can track flying ducks, crows, hummingbirds and even dragonfly's well enough to get at least one good shot in a series and I spent a fair amount of time trying. Unlike when I shot it with the D750.

After six months of using the D750 daily my experience of it's AF ability is that it is fantastic. I take fewer shots in a given shoot than I did when the K5iis was my primary camera and I have a higher rate of in focus shots. The practical application of this is that I now have nearly an entire shoots worth of in focus shots to chose from rather than a few good shots, a bunch of almost good shots, and a bunch of useless shots.

A copy of the Sigma 35mm Art is being delivered today! I'm so excited :-)
06-18-2015, 06:49 AM   #529
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot with the gear I have. I'm not cherry picking. I just don't have an unlimited budget that I can use to attempt to satisfy strangers on the internet.

I'm totally open to the possibility that the K3, K3-II or the Pentax FF have, or will have, better AF than my k5iis. However, my experiences with the K5iis soured me on spending more $$ to find out if the K3 was better enough.

I can't really stress enough how impressive the AF is on the D750. It constantly surprises me even after six months of shooting with it.

I was surprised that it got any of the pollen shots in focus, let alone 4 of 13. I didn't preplan that test. I just happened to notice the swarm of huge pollen chunks wafting around when I had my camera on my shoulder. I took one series of shots, got in my car and drove away without even reviewing the shots.

I was equally shocked that the K5iis couldn't track the pollen at all because I know from experience that it can track flying ducks, crows, hummingbirds and even dragonfly's well enough to get at least one good shot in a series and I spent a fair amount of time trying. Unlike when I shot it with the D750.

After six months of using the D750 daily my experience of it's AF ability is that it is fantastic. I take fewer shots in a given shoot than I did when the K5iis was my primary camera and I have a higher rate of in focus shots. The practical application of this is that I now have nearly an entire shoots worth of in focus shots to chose from rather than a few good shots, a bunch of almost good shots, and a bunch of useless shots.

That all sounds great. But, if they could do something like that and keep the crop factor that would be awesome. My crop images are almost always cropped.

06-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #530
Veteran Member

That all sounds great. But, if they could do something like that and keep the crop factor that would be awesome. My crop images are almost always cropped.
The thing that I miss the most is what the crop factor does for the long end. I'm going to save up for a Sigma 150-600 because that'll give me a similar view to the 60-250 with the 1.4 TC on the K5iis but it's going to be a while as the budget has been thoroughly blown on the transition.

I would love to see Pentax reach AF quality that is near the D750.
06-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #531
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

The thing that I miss the most is what the crop factor does for the long end. I'm going to save up for a Sigma 150-600 because that'll give me a similar view to the 60-250 with the 1.4 TC on the K5iis but it's going to be a while as the budget has been thoroughly blown on the transition.

I would love to see Pentax reach AF quality that is near the D750.
MY suspicion is that the only hope will be on their FF. Nikon doesn't have the same level of AF on their ASP-c cameras, so i suspect those big clunky (compared to APS-c ) bodies are holding some big clunky hardware, and that the AF system is part of that.
06-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #532
Veteran Member

MY suspicion is that the only hope will be on their FF. Nikon doesn't have the same level of AF on their ASP-c cameras, so i suspect those big clunky (compared to APS-c ) bodies are holding some big clunky hardware, and that the AF system is part of that.
Sounds reasonable to me. It could also just be that the bigger cameras have faster processors (either newer hardware or the same hardware running at higher speeds or both) and can simply out number crunch the smaller cameras.
06-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #533
Pentaxian

Just curious, on that pollen shot, are you letting the camera choose focus point? or you just default it to center-focus point only?

06-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #534
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Just curious, on that pollen shot, are you letting the camera choose focus point? or you just default it to center-focus point only?
I almost always shoot AF.C Single point on the D750 and that's the settings I was using for the pollen shots and I did use the center AF point. I use back button focusing as well.

I've experimented a little bit with group and 9 point AF.C and 9 point does seem to offer some benefit for fast moving things that are pretty far away, like flying ducks across a river.
06-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #535
Pentaxian

I almost always shoot AF.C Single point on the D750 and that's the settings I was using for the pollen shots and I did use the center AF point. I use back button focusing as well.

I've experimented a little bit with group and 9 point AF.C and 9 point does seem to offer some benefit for fast moving things that are pretty far away, like flying ducks across a river.
Thanks, I am not disagreeing with you on the D750 performance (btw, nice shot on the pollen). However, I would be even more impressed if that shot was off the center (in which case the camera AF system was able to pick one at random).
06-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #536
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Thanks, I am not disagreeing with you on the D750 performance (btw, nice shot on the pollen). However, I would be even more impressed if that shot was off the center (in which case the camera AF system was able to pick one at random).
Thanks aleonx3 :-)

I regularly use AF points that are off center both for static and moving subjects. Single point AF.C mode allows you to select any AF point to use and it will keep whatever is under that point in focus as long as you hold down the AF button. The only time I've seen the edge points work unreliably is in very low light (which is to be expected).

I never use the AF modes that let the camera pick what to focus on. No AF system can read minds and I'd rather not deal with the frustration of perfectly in focus shirt collars, glasses frames, and such.

There is a 3D AF mode but I haven't experimented with it much. I prefer to manually control what the AF system is AFing on as much as possible.