Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
I was browsing Flickr for D750 photos, looking to see how well it's performing so far... I stumbled upon this, i thought you all might find it interesting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/abumilad/15361088961/in/photolist-pppAzp-p8cAU...-pvdyst-pfkp5N
Silly man with his bright green ring.

10-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I know you can change the date of your picture in Flickr but it says taken October 26, 2014, LOL.
Well perhaps this photo is from the future... and this guy with the Nikon D750 captured a man taking a photo with the very first Pentax FF DSLR camera!

10-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Silly man with his bright green ring.
The funny thing about that is, every picture taken with every camera these days looks like every other picture taken with every other camera.
10-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The funny thing about that is, every picture taken with every camera these days looks like every other picture taken with every other camera.
That's not true. I've seen some lousy pictures on a Lytro that can't be replicated by every other camera

Last edited by Parallax; 10-03-2014 at 01:16 PM.
10-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #80
Veteran Member

How many pictures of people do I need to see before I can see a difference between Canon skin color and say Nikon ( they have a portrait color profile)? I mean I see a lot of them yet I cannot tell the difference. I guess you mean out of camera JPEGs because I have processed my RAWs from my Nikon and submitted prints along with a pile of prints from Canon users and no one could tell which camera took which shot.
So, it's all down to profiles and white balance? I'm not going to try to convince you. It's obvious you can't see it. And that's fine, some can't, but some can. It's well documented that people see the same things differently.
10-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think they just tune their [JPEG] colour system and AWB engine to produce colours that look good and please people. They have done a lot of research and tuning of this, I'm sure.

They do. their R&D department is well funded and they have been able to keep ahead of the curve - at least with JPG output. With a completely colour calibrated setup that I work with in the studio the differences between cameras makers is much smaller than people make it out to be.
10-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
So, it's all down to profiles and white balance? I'm not going to try to convince you. It's obvious you can't see it. And that's fine, some can't, but some can. It's well documented that people see the same things differently.
To be clear, I don't deny your experience. I've have also seen one or two comparisons on reviews as well. Each used out of camera JPEGs and neither used the portrait color profile the Nikon camera has. And the zoom factor to look at the difference seemed pretty unrealistic. I guess it boils down to if you could pick out all the Canon pictures on a table full of them from all kinds of cameras.

10-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #83
Veteran Member

To be clear, I don't deny your experience. I've have also seen one or two comparisons on reviews as well. Each used out of camera JPEGs and neither used the portrait color profile the Nikon camera has. And the zoom factor to look at the difference seemed pretty unrealistic. I guess it boils down to if you could pick out all the Canon pictures on a table full of them from all kinds of cameras.
I never found the portrait setting on Nikon to be any better. It just gave a less contrasty yellow/green, peach or grey.

I don't think I could pick the Canon's out, but would have a high success rate picking Nikon unless the photographer spent a lot of time in post trying to make them look better.

I don't necessarily think Canon is best, just way better than Nikon. Olympus used to be great before the latest generation of sensors, they are still decent, but not nearly as nice as older ones. I have a theory that the Sony sensors or at least current high dynamic range CMOS sensors may be harder for camera makers to get good skin tones out of.

Canon's seem to be more forgiving from one area of the face to another. Shadow transitions are gentler. Nikon is harsh and will leap from one tone to another with little transition. Probably makes for nice landscapes, but not pleasing on portraits.

Last edited by RyanW; 10-04-2014 at 12:47 PM.
10-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I never found the portrait setting on Nikon to be any better. It just gave a less contrasty yellow/green, peach or grey.

I don't think I could pick the Canon's out, but would have a high success rate picking Nikon unless the photographer spent a lot of time in post trying to make them look better.
Perhaps you can post some shots and show me what you mean. I have some I can post.
11-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #85
Veteran Member

well after seeing the preview photos on DP Review I certainly see the sensor producing more noise than my D7000 or Sony RX100 - I thought the photos in general were terrible.

It might have the DR but I would choose a Canon 5D MK111 over this camera if I was moving to an all rounder FF.
11-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I certainly see the sensor producing more noise than my D7000 or Sony RX100
With all due respect to the D7000 and RX100, something must be broken with the way DPR do their preview photos if that is the case.
11-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #87
Veteran Member

^
Yeah i'de have to agree with you. The d750 reportedly has better noise performance than the d810. This forum seems like it has a thing for knocking canon/nikon.
11-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
^
Yeah i'de have to agree with you. The d750 reportedly has better noise performance than the d810. This forum seems like it has a thing for knocking canon/nikon.
Dylansalt doesn't shoot Pentax cameras. As he says, he is a Nikon shooter.
11-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Dylansalt doesn't shoot Pentax cameras. As he says, he is a Nikon shooter.
Then why is he here?
11-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Then why is he here?
Um, why not?