Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Bu yeah, there was atleast 4-5 stops between my k20 and my d600. It was phenominal.
I guess you missed the part where there was like 2 or 3 stops difference between a K20D and a K-5. Your problem was not that you didn't have a Full Frame it was that you had an old APS_c. For mostt of us, going from a K20D to a K-5 was phenomenal.

QuoteQuote:
I have a hard time believing that it's only one stop of difference between crop sensor and full frame.. since a full frame sensor is twice as big the sensor would be able to gather atleast twice as much light.
Twice as much light is one stop. You really need to find out a little bit about what you're talking about.

QuoteQuote:
I will be giving it a real workout tonight at a Lantern Walk event that will have very low-light. I'm looking forward to using this fine machine. I think it will be hard to return it in a few months. I may just have to take the plunge.
Let us know how it works out for you.

11-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I couldn't resist the Best Buy deal and I returned there last night and got the D750 lens kit along with a 50mm f1.8
Congratulations. It's a good useful combo - 24-120 as an everyday lens, and that 50mm 1.8 G in particular is very bright and sharp.

I'm very keen to see some lantern walk photos. It should be a breeze shooting it with the D750.
11-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Congratulations. It's a good useful combo - 24-120 as an everyday lens, and that 50mm 1.8 G in particular is very bright and sharp.

I'm very keen to see some lantern walk photos. It should be a breeze shooting it with the D750.
I hope it is easier than the K-01 and takumar combo I used last year.

Been shooting throughput the day. The kit lens is okay stopped down but, no real surprise, the 50 is much nicer.
11-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I guess you missed the part where there was like 2 or 3 stops difference between a K20D and a K-5. Your problem was not that you didn't have a Full Frame it was that you had an old APS_c. For mostt of us, going from a K20D to a K-5 was phenomenal.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/270...#ixzz3J5fENGjT
Granted there is that but generally speaking pentax hasn't exactly been on the forefront of technology. AF and noise performance havent exactly been top notch. There was so much else that blew my mind. No longer was i bound by having a single card slot. There was video and it was simply amazing! Pentax's video's video has always seemed primite by comparison.

Even the menu's on the k3 still look kind of dated. Plus, on the k3 it seems like you have to go through the menu to change the video exposure mode. I dont know why pentax distinguishes between exposure in stills and video. On my d600, everything that you set for stills carries over video. Pentax still seems like dont really have the hang of user friendliness. And then apparently the k3 crops the video?? I dont understand why they would do that? Even the video on the 645z was apparently nerfed to the point where it's kind of not really usable It's just stuff like this that really caused me to look towards canon/nikon/sony.. 99% of pentax users dont have enough money to get their hands on the 645z though but even at that price point pentax cant deliver a well rounded package.. which is a tad bit worrying..

11-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #125
Pentaxian

It's great you love your camera, but, the thread isn't about the D600, I tried a D600 before I bought my K-3 and decided against it. You haven't said a thing that would have changed my mind. By the way, of my friends one shoots a Nikon D800, one shoots a D810, One shoots a D4, and one shoots a D3200. None of them ever launches into that kind of nonsense. You seem a little eager to promote your camera. Maybe a little insecurity there? A D600... really? That's so last year.
11-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
No longer was i bound by having a single card slot.
Umm, the K-3 has a dual SD card slot, just like the D610 ...

I hope you are not basing your K-3 menu and video criticisms just on a Youtube video of someone using a K-3, rather than some hands-on experience of the K-3. Such YouTube videos are often silly or misleading, like a lot of stuff online.
11-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #127
Veteran Member

The D750 did very well at the lantern walk. By the end of it the darkness made it a struggle to get pics of the people walking but it could still focus on standing people pretty well. I was still able to get some good pics though under extremely challenging conditions. I will post a few tomorrow.

11-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's great you love your camera, but, the thread isn't about the D600, I tried a D600 before I bought my K-3 and decided against it. You haven't said a thing that would have changed my mind. By the way, of my friends one shoots a Nikon D800, one shoots a D810, One shoots a D4, and one shoots a D3200. None of them ever launches into that kind of nonsense. You seem a little eager to promote your camera. Maybe a little insecurity there? A D600... really? That's so last year.
There is too much to list but what about much cheaper lenses for a start? One thing that ive noticed wth pentax cameras is that there always seems to be a lot of doubt as to things. Is the k-3 sharper? Is the k-30s autofocus better? The release of a new pentax camera seems to spark these kinds of discussions. Then there are the endless debates over which settings you have to change to get the camera to do... well what it was really supposed to do from the get go. Switching to nikon meant leaving that behind, all the analysis paralysis. Simply put, i was no longer comfortable throwing down close to $1000 on something that would maybe do what it advertised.. maybe if if i spent an hour playing with the settings. I mean, i know the k30 is old, but even the camera seemed to be a little unsure of itself. When it made changes to the exposure comp, sometimes it would only work in 3/4 of the shots...

Then there is the full frame benefit where you get a bunch of things like depth of field, iso performance, etc. Frankly i found the k3 to be pretty ugy. I know many people regard their cameras as a tool, but the designer in me kind of cringes when i look at it. I think the issue with pentax is that they arent really making much of an effort to stand out, as noted in digital rev tv's review of the k-r..

Last edited by neostyles; 11-15-2014 at 12:11 AM.
11-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #129
Veteran Member

...these kinds of discussion [about pros and cons of different bodies]...endless debates over which settings... Switching to nikon meant leaving that behind, all the analysis paralysis.
I guess you have never visited the FX forum on DPreview Nikon users certainly know how to whine and complain and nit-pick as well as Pentax people. Even moreso, I think.

I think 'analysis paralysis' is a state of mind, not a Pentax issue. There are lots of Pentax users here who don't seem to worry too much about gear at all, never participate in the gear threads, just post photos and critique, regularly go out and shoot photos, and seem happy enough. Not paralyzed at all.
11-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #130
Veteran Member

I too am looking at the D750 and I am very interested in seeing Mr Bassie's lantern walk shots.
11-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #131
Veteran Member

I uploaded a bunch on Flickr but I don't think I will have time to post any here today.
11-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Thanks Mr Bassie. Looks good!
11-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #133
Veteran Member

I think the issue with pentax is that they arent really making much of an effort to stand out, as noted in digital rev tv's review of the k-r..
Oh come on. WR cameras on a budget, green button, colourful cameras, in-body SR, some of the first AA-less crop sensor cameras, K-01's design, K-30 design, the K-S1 now, compact limited primes, FA limiteds, DA* 55mm still among he best in its focal range, Q was smallest interchangeable lens camera ever, and then the 645D.. all unique to or starting with Pentax. Thing is, if it says Pentax on top it gets swept under the rug and gets no reception. "hurr it cant be special if its Pantux!" while Canikon knows how to generate enthusiasm and Leica rides on prestige
11-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh come on. WR cameras on a budget, green button, colourful cameras, in-body SR, some of the first AA-less crop sensor cameras, K-01's design, K-30 design, the K-S1 now, compact limited primes, FA limiteds, DA* 55mm still among he best in its focal range, Q was smallest interchangeable lens camera ever, and then the 645D.. all unique to or starting with Pentax. Thing is, if it says Pentax on top it gets swept under the rug and gets no reception. "hurr it cant be special if its Pantux!" while Canikon knows how to generate enthusiasm and Leica rides on prestige

Yet canikon haven't really innovated just evolved their current models. The D750 is just a D600 with a floppy screen and better AF matrix. The D810 improves on the 800.... Pentax at least try's to innovate.

I love my D800, I really do. But if I never bought it would I miss it compared to my Killer K3 setup? Probably not. The AF speed and flash sync are really the biggest drawbacks for me
11-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I uploaded a bunch on Flickr but I don't think I will have time to post any here today.
Some cute and colourful shots. A good workout for the camera too.

While 90% of the time it seems to have nailed it, I see the D750 has the same difficulty with WB when shooting mixed lighting as other cameras, particularly the mix of street lighting with stuff like candle lights. Most of the time cameras like the K-3 and D610/D750 can handle it, but sometimes awkward colour casts appear, particularly noticeable on skin tones. I usually take a grey card along and include it in a few shots under such lighting to help tune WB during post-processing. I wish camera makers had a WB setting for 'Lantern parade' that I could just set at the beginning of such events.

As an aside, I noticed some small instances of purple lens flare appearing under the street lights, mainly at the frame edge, visible for example here:

It's surprising to see, since I thought the decent little hood of the 50 1.8G would help prevent that. Or was a UV filter mounted?