Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I don't think Eric "forgot" about the Df - perhaps he thought the camera had "no reason to exist?"

Boom boom. Better run away and hide now.
You may be right Chris, looks to me Nikon is trying to cover each of the niche market with a FX camera.

I am just imaging me as a customer choosing from Nikon FX line, if I am a entry level FX user(moving up from DX/Upgrading from older bodies) I want a good allrounder like D610, if I am a hobbyist sports/action shooter I would choose D750, If I am someone who wants maximum resolution/to hell with size and weight would want D810, if I am pro sport/action shooter I will naturally get a D4s.

Df? I am sure there is a niche market for it, but I am not its target audience so I kind of ignored it..

08-21-2014, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
You may be right Chris, looks to me Nikon is trying to cover each of the niche market with a FX camera.

I am just imaging me as a customer choosing from Nikon FX line, if I am a entry level FX user(moving up from DX/Upgrading from older bodies) I want a good allrounder like D610, if I am a hobbyist sports/action shooter I would choose D750, If I am someone who wants maximum resolution/to hell with size and weight would want D810, if I am pro sport/action shooter I will naturally get a D4s.

Df? I am sure there is a niche market for it, but I am not its target audience so I kind of ignored it..
I think the D750 concept works well for Nikon. The D800 line produces files that are way to large for what 99% of the wedding market needs. The wedding togs that are hitting the 2,000 to 3,000 images per event mark really don't want to have to deal with. Your talking 150GB per event. The D600 doesn't have the build quality or the AF to meet the needs of higher end wedding togs. Wedding photographers make up the single largest market for professional photography, and Nikon has missed it. Wedding photographers loved the D700 for the IQ and file size.

If Nikon produces a 24MP version of the D800 I think it will be a big hit with wedding photographers. There is a reason why Canon has stuck to the sub 25MP sensor for the 5DIII. The 36MP sensor is amazing, but its not for people who do high volume work. I think the 810 supports sRAW for this very reason, but sRAW still has some compromises.

I have complete confidence that Nikon won't produce what the market needs. They will cripple the new body in some way to keep professionals from buying it a try to drive them up market.
08-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

I have complete confidence that Nikon won't produce what the market needs. They will cripple the new body in some way to keep professionals from buying it a try to drive them up market.
Nikon is doommeed???
08-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Nikon is doommeed???
If they don't stop following Sony's game plan and is throwing as much crap against the wall as possible and seeing what sticks. The Df could have been a big seller if they had given it D800 AF and copied Fuji & Olympus on how to do retro. As it is the Df is over priced by about $1,000. There is no reason for it to cost more than the D610. Fewer features, no HD video, fewer MPs, more awkward controls don't equal more money.

08-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If they don't stop following Sony's game plan and is throwing as much crap against the wall as possible and seeing what sticks. The Df could have been a big seller if they had given it D800 AF and copied Fuji & Olympus on how to do retro. As it is the Df is over priced by about $1,000. There is no reason for it to cost more than the D610. Fewer features, no HD video, fewer MPs, more awkward controls don't equal more money.
Agreed, Df is overpriced, but I don't think by $1000. I think the kit should sell for $2300, and when it does, thats when I'll pick one up. Sure it's got a lot less MP's, but MP's are not everything. That sensor is one of the best performing on the market. Ideally the Df would have had the D800 AF, video package, improved control layout and priced a little lower ($2500 launch instead of $3000 launch) it would have been a better seller. The thing everyone overlooks on that camera though is that it's essentially a poor mans D4. I was looking at one and handling one, the buffer is long lasting, the shutter speed is decent, and the low light quality is fantastic. It's a great camera, but yes, a bit over priced.
09-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
24MPs
51 AF points
8fps
TTL exposure metering using a 91k pixels RGB sensor (same as in the D800/D800E/D810)
09-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

This looks intriuging but to be honest the only thing that i felt like was sorely lacking from my d600 was exposure tools (and the patched firmware at nikon hacker may just add that since many people are calling for it.) I waant my live histogram.

The d600 has plenty of af for wedding photography. Im not actually a wedding photographer but i dont think wedding exactly involves alot of fast action. The d600 is perfectly capable of tracking slow moving subjects. In fact, the review jared polin did of it (its on youtube) shows that its a pretty good sports camera as well

09-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Df could have been a big seller if they had given it D800 AF and copied Fuji & Olympus on how to do retro.
They should have done Pentax retro. Seriously, if Nikon crammed a FX sensor and decent high speed AF into a camera body like the Pentax LX, that thing would have sold so much better. Nikon can't do compact SLR bodies - they have tried for decades, and their heart just isn't in it. If you ever needed proof of this: hold a Nikon F6.
09-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If Nikon produces a 24MP version of the D800 I think it will be a big hit with wedding photographers. There is a reason why Canon has stuck to the sub 25MP sensor for the 5DIII. The 36MP sensor is amazing, but its not for people who do high volume work. I think the 810 supports sRAW for this very reason, but sRAW still has some compromises.
Yes, if it comes it at 24mp and fast. It's going to make lots of folks happy.

BTW, I know some wedding shooters that use Canon that shoot mraw for most everything but group shots. They don't even want the full 24mp.

Today if I was wedding shooter using Nikon, it would be a D4(s), D3(s) or D700 or the DF.
09-12-2014, 12:33 AM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like the D750 was just officially announced. I wish Pentax could put their name on something with these specs- I think at the $2295 price point it will be a roaring success and a compelling upgrade path for D700 users as well as those who held off on / didn't like the compromises in the D600 series. Photokina starts next week- there's still hope!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2014, 01:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like the D750 was just officially announced. I wish Pentax could put their name on something with these specs- I think at the $2295 price point it will be a roaring success and a compelling upgrade path for D700 users as well as those who held off on / didn't like the compromises in the D600 series. Photokina starts next week- there's still hope!
I think this is the camera that I and many other Pentaxians that want FF will buy if no FF from Pentax. There are two minor things.. no in body SR and it has an AA filter.
09-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Here's a link with more info from B&H:

Unveiled: Nikon's New D750 DSLR, 20mm f/1.8 Lens, and SB-500 AF Speedlight | explora
09-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I think this is the camera that I and many other Pentaxians that want FF will buy if no FF from Pentax. There are two minor things.. no in body SR and it has an AA filter.
I am ordering today. This will be great with my Tamron 150-600 which did not come in Pentax mount. I seems that Ricoh has no desire to go Fx, at this time and with Tamron and Sigma not supporting the Pentax mount on their higher spec lenses I've got to go and this camera ticks most of my boxes. I will be selling off part of my Pentax Kit in the near future.Joe
09-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not sure how much hope is left. There have been big gaps in the FF product offering from Nikon when Pentax could have put product, but Nikon is filling all the gaps faster than Pentax can make a teleconverter. I know a couple of Nikon using wedding photographers who have been unhappy with Nikon. The D4s has the resolution they want, but in the wrong package. The D810 and its 36MPs are just too much for people who shoot 2,000 images a wedding, but they wanted the AF. The D610 has a good sensor and size/weight, but the AF and build quality weren't up to the task of wedding work. The D750 is the camera wedding togs are looking for. The right resolution, AF, size, build quality, & price. Pentax could have landed right in this gap with a 24MP FF version of the K-3. The select-able AA filter would have made it a very unique FF camera. You don't really need an AA filter on a 24MP APS-C, but on a FF it is a usable feature.
09-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Not sure how much hope is left. There have been big gaps in the FF product offering from Nikon when Pentax could have put product, but Nikon is filling all the gaps faster than Pentax can make a teleconverter. I know a couple of Nikon using wedding photographers who have been unhappy with Nikon. The D4s has the resolution they want, but in the wrong package. The D810 and its 36MPs are just too much for people who shoot 2,000 images a wedding, but they wanted the AF. The D610 has a good sensor and size/weight, but the AF and build quality weren't up to the task of wedding work. The D750 is the camera wedding togs are looking for. The right resolution, AF, size, build quality, & price. Pentax could have landed right in this gap with a 24MP FF version of the K-3. The select-able AA filter would have made it a very unique FF camera. You don't really need an AA filter on a 24MP APS-C, but on a FF it is a usable feature.
You're probably right, but very few wedding 'togs fully vested in Nikon glass and strobes would have switched over to Pentax had Ricoh introduced a D750-type product even a year ago.

I think a Pentax FF (if it comes) needs to go after a different market.