Then why is he here?
He used to own a K20D and never left.

11-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
He used to own a K20D and never left.
What is with those people?
There ought to be a forum for ex-Pentax users so they can compare how great their 5 year old Pentax gear was compared to their new camera gear. It's got to be of interest to some one.

expentaxuserforums.com, I am sure the domain name is available...
11-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Erm - those who still use Pentax exclusively shouldn't be really discussing in this Nikon/Canon/Sony (any other camera besides Pentax) forum should they??

I owned a K10D - still do - don't use it because when the Nikon D7000 came out I bought that.

Anyway I downloaded the D750 images and previewed them on quite a good monitor a 27" 2013 iMac.

My experience is well over 20 years and I stand by my assessment based on the images provided by DP Review.

In many respects my Sony RX 100 has better IQ than my D7000 and I actually use these two camera's as my benchmark when looking at possible future upgrades.

For instance I find the IQ from the Fuji XT1 EASILY comparable to a D610 or maybe better.

Maybe the photographer was clueless in his approach??

Last edited by dylansalt; 11-03-2014 at 08:11 AM.
11-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What is with those people?
There ought to be a forum for ex-Pentax users so they can compare how great their 5 year old Pentax gear was compared to their new camera gear. It's got to be of interest to some one.

expentaxuserforums.com, I am sure the domain name is available...
It isn't a big deal. The only issue I have is when someone posts a comment like "Pentax auto focus sucks" and they are basing their opinion on the performance of a K10 or even a K7. At the same time, if people shoot multiple brands, I think it brings a lot to the community here.

11-03-2014, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Erm - those who still use Pentax exclusively shouldn't be really discussing in this Nikon/Canon/Sony (any other camera besides Pentax) forum should they??

I owned a K10D - still do - don't use it because when the Nikon D7000 came out I bought that.

Anyway I downloaded the D750 images and previewed them on quite a good monitor a 27" 2013 iMac.

My experience is well over 20 years and I stand by my assessment based on the images provided by DP Review.

In many respects my Sony RX 100 has better IQ than my D7000 and I actually use these two camera's as my benchmark when looking at possible future upgrades.

For instance I find the IQ from the Fuji XT1 EASILY comparable to a D610 or maybe better.

Maybe the photographer was clueless in his approach??
Hey, just saying..

So you download images to your 27 inch iMac, which is exactly what I do and for my own purposes I only download images from Imaging Resources, for a number of reason. One, they do the same tests on every camera, they try and maintain consistency in those tests, they use lenses that are common to may cameras, in most case the Sigma 70 macro, so you're seeing camera differences not lens differences. If you're interested in removing photographer error, use Imaging Resources.

But let me help you out here... Fuji-XT1 vs D160 at 100 ISO from Imaging Resources...

The D610 is the clear winner.

How about Fuji XT-1 vs K-3

Why are you talking about this old Tech... the issue to me is K-3 vs D610. Now that's a contest, with the K-3 probably winning because of more DoF.

Maybe I'd like the D750 more than the K-3.. naw, that's not working either.

Last edited by normhead; 11-03-2014 at 08:58 AM.
11-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #96
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Hmmm... a lot of silence after that post Norm.........Maybe your K3 is performing "too well", which would make you a candidate for the universal question around here "Have you considered going FF?"

Regards!
11-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #97
Veteran Member

27" 2013 iMac.
No offense, but I wonder why you all really think iMac display is good?
It's quite mediocre nowdays and you can get much better for the same money.

---------- Post added 03-11-14 at 23:00 ----------

In your dreams may be, or straight from camera JPGs. Because when playing with RAW files it lags somewhere behind bayer 16Mp APS-C sensor cameras in IQ department.

11-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #98

K3 photo might be taken wo AA filter.
jpg comparions are not good, because processing steps differ from each brand.
Right way is to compare pure raws, imo.

ISO test images are always tricky.
They usually dont take the shoots in REAL situation.
Wow images are always taken at good lighting conditions, at enough speeds with a crazy iso number such as 12800.
Infact, we usually need iso when we have to shoot by decreasing the speed wo playing too much with aperture, at dim conditions.
This is real iso test, for me.
My words dont go to the pictures above, because I dont know their setup.
I hope I can explain my point.
11-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #99
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
No offense, but I wonder why you all really think iMac display is good?
Good enough for my eyes and more than good enough for my preferred Toy Camera shooting....my ASUS PA248Q. Price is right, color is perfect right out of the box..
It's probably great for pixel peeping too, but since I don't shoot FF I don't need that function!
Regards!
11-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #100
Veteran Member

I handled a D750 at my local camera store. It is kind of big and I don't think I would want to haul it around very often. I guess I like my little cameras too much.
11-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I handled a D750 at my local camera store. It is kind of big and I don't think I would want to haul it around very often. I guess I like my little cameras too much.
It's surprisingly compact for a DSLR.

I guess our attitudes towards size have shifted a lot.

I attended a photowalk on Sat - the host was carrying a D750 courtesy of Nikon.

Interesting stat: about half the members on the photowalk were carrying mirrorless cameras. The first photowalk I attended a few years ago, I was probably the only person carrying mirrorless (NEX-5n).
11-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
It's surprisingly compact for a DSLR.

I guess our attitudes towards size have shifted a lot.

I attended a photowalk on Sat - the host was carrying a D750 courtesy of Nikon.

Interesting stat: about half the members on the photowalk were carrying mirrorless cameras. The first photowalk I attended a few years ago, I was probably the only person carrying mirrorless (NEX-5n).
I didn't have my K5 but it seemed like it was bigger than that.

Truthfully most people can get their photo needs met with mirror less. Full frame is fun to think about though.
11-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I didn't have my K5 but it seemed like it was bigger than that.

Truthfully most people can get their photo needs met with mirror less. Full frame is fun to think about though.
My impression was that it was about the same size as K5 but I wasn't comparing it side by side either. Which is pretty good considering it's full frame.

It is going to look big compared to an A7 though.

Full frame is a lot of fun, but at the end of the day I think APS-C is the sweet spot. Problem with full frame is the size and weight of lenses. The shallower DOF and slightly better performance/resolution isn't really worth it IMHO.
11-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
My impression was that it was about the same size as K5 but I wasn't comparing it side by side either. Which is pretty good considering it's full frame.

It is going to look big compared to an A7 though.

Full frame is a lot of fun, but at the end of the day I think APS-C is the sweet spot. Problem with full frame is the size and weight of lenses. The shallower DOF and slightly better performance/resolution isn't really worth it IMHO.
I always think about how many rolls of film I could shoot for a price of a FF camera. It is a lot, probably at least a few years worth for me.
11-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Heh thats just like me. I used to shoot with a K20 but then i got my d600 and never looked back I loved the size of my d600. My K20 was quite a bit too small for my massive hands :P Pentax was my first camera that i used, my training wheels if you will. It was with me when i was learning all the basics of photogaphy so i guess it will always kind of have a place in my heart. Im never gonna forget that time i went to sf to do an assignment with my friends and out of no where it started raining. I was using an ist ds at the time and, even though it wasnt technically weather sealed (as far as i know, i could be wrong), it pulled through like a trooper. Got all my pics done and continued doing shoots with that camera for a few months afterwards.

QuoteQuote:
Couldnt disagree more. Going full frame has completely changed how i look at photography. Where before i would have to take a bulky tripod, to get the shot, my d600 and my 50mm is all i need. I can do alot of the shots hand held that i would have otherwise needed a triod for. . Now, i may have my pentax to thank for this as i got quite a bit of practice doing handhed shots at 1/4 second. I think i even did some 1 second exposures. Plus, the extra dynamic range is freaking awesome! To this day, im still amazed by what i can get out of the raw files.