Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm Beginning To Think I Should Add Olympian To My Title...

I'm still first and foremost a Pentaxian, and will never give up my Pentax gear, but I must admit the Olympus P3's are really growing on me and other than for work I'm finding myself using my P3's a lot. The AF is so fast and dead on most of the time I can just touch the screen and BOOM, that's it. I don't even need my EVF half the time now. My first M43 camera I wasn't all that impressed at least not until I got AF lenses and an EVF. But the P3's? I totally love them. I think maybe I'm a Pentaxian Olympian now. :P

08-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Oh the humanity!

No seriously, we don't mind if you run two systems....
08-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm running a second Olympus systems as well, but I still use my Pentax gear at least 75% of the time, nearly 100% of time time for my best stuff. Nonetheless, Olympus makes nice cameras, and there glass is pretty good as well. When I need smaller gear, or I'm need to shoot hand-held at wide to normal focal lengths, I reach for the Oly stuff.
08-22-2014, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

If I won the lottery and cost was of no concern, I would probably own cameras from every system out there. It's a camera, not your spouse! You can have as many as you want!

08-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
If I won the lottery and cost was of no concern, I would probably own cameras from every system out there. It's a camera, not your spouse! You can have as many as you want!
So long as my wallet holds out, eh? I'm done for the rest of this year at least. Next year I may just grab another used K-30 body and the 18-135WR if I can ever afford that. I'd also like to grab the Sigma 60mm for my M43 cams if I can ever find one used that I can afford. (Right now they're a bit too expensive even used.) I do want to backup my red K-30 so that I have two WR bodies to switch off for work. But other than that I think I'm done acquiring gear. I can't think of much else that I'd want that I don't have at this point, seriously, at least not that I can afford. Everything else is just too far out of my price range for me to go there.

I've always been a two system person actually, even with film cameras. Olympus has basically replaced Yashica for me. I actually got my first M43 camera so that I could use my Yashica ML lenses on a digital body. Olympus just happened to have the most affordable used M43 body at the time. Like I said until I got an EVF and a digital lens for it I wasn't too impressed. The Olympus E-P3 though it's such an awesome little camera that it's totally won me over. I think it's just a question of it being this camera though because I don't much like the latest version at all and I don't like many of the other Pen models they made either. The E-PL 1 is okay, the E-P3 is superb but the rest? Most of them they don't even really tempt me.

I've always said that if I wasn't such a Pentax geek I'd likely be a Nikonian but actually as it turned out I just ended up being an Olympian instead. That can be totally blamed on the P3's though. If it wasn't for this particular camera I'd have likely sold my M43 kit at some point and called it a day. I just wasn't using it enough to make it worth it, until I got my first E-P3.
10-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Mag (long time) I get it, I just picked up an OMD (with 12-50 and a 45 1.8 - and more to come) thanks to a break in that lost a whack of lenses and my old Oly e300 and Pentax K10 (along with a pile of film bodies) I was going to go for a K3 and some primes but I grabbed this to try (and to replace the oly which my wife used) I love it, in fact enough that i am going to buy a whack of the primes and a second body and a couple of adaptors and pentax will become my secondary (I too always thought i'd go Nikon and the new 750 w/ 24-105 really called to me) but this ios so light and fast (and good in low light) I completely get what Rparmer was on about a couple of years back when he switched
I'll keep my K7 for the Pentax kit that wasn't stolen (I interrupted them) and at some point I may upgrade it but the Oly looks like it will do it for me (the Fuji beckons as well and maybe I should buy and try one before a final decision)