Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Banned

New Hasselblad H5D 200c with Sony sensor takes 200 megapixel pictures

QuoteQuote:

No guys, Megapixel madness will never be over. Hasselblad just announced a new H5D 200c camera which is an improved version of the H5D 200ms which sells for $44,000 at BHphoto (Click here…if you are rich). The camera uses the Sony 50MP medium format sensor and has a unique feature which allows to take 200 megapixel pictures! This is how it works according to Hasselblad:

The H5D-200c MS camera uses a 50Mpix CMOS sensor mounted onto the Hasselblad patented symmetrical multi-shot frame, which accurately positions the sensor with a sub-micron accuracy using piezo-electrical actuators. It can capture 6 shots with the sensor positioned accurately at a sequence of quadrants of the pixel and takes color information from the Bayer-patterned pixels to create a 200Mpix capture. This results in a leap in resolution that has to be seen to fully appreciate the tremendous difference it makes. Be prepared to be impressed beyond your expectations.

The sensor moves 1 and 1/2 pixel at the time, to create a 50 or 200 megapixel capture. Here is an image that shows the difference between the different shooting modes (Click on image to enlarge):

New Hasselblad H5D 200c with Sony sensor takes 200 megapixel pictures and $50,000 from your bank account :) | sonyalpharumors

The Pentax 645Z with the same 50mp Sony sensor is a bargain compared to this.

08-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The sensor moves 1 and 1/2 pixel at the time, to create a 50 or 200 megapixel capture.
Ages ago people were saying that Pentax should do this, especially because the SR mechanism already moves the sensor. And now Hasselblad is hailed as innovative, even though its the same sensor and costs 5x as much!
08-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ages ago people were saying that Pentax should do this, especially because the SR mechanism already moves the sensor. And now Hasselblad is hailed as innovative, even though its the same sensor and costs 5x as much!
Sadly there is no SR on the 645Z

Steve
08-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I advocated that Pentax could do this with their APS-C sensors. Actually they could do about 64 MP just using the current Sony 16MP sensor. It would be useful for landscape shots - and not useful at all for anything involving any type of motion. Also, they could simulate a Foveon sensor by stacking (moving) each of the RGB pixels over the other pixel sites and thus capture RGB at each individual pixel. Would this be effective and useful - possibly, maybe not. It would be interesting to see the results - could be implemented similar to bracketing. Would it be a normality - probably, but it certainly appears to be a useful normality. The inherent ability is there, might just as well make as much use of the capability as possible and use it as a differentiator.

It just seems strange that Hasselblad would implement a shifting ability only for this. The medium format sensor is just too large to try to move so quickly - like the SR capability on the cropped sensor. Hopefully, if Pentax ever comes out with a FF sensor, it will have in body stabilization, but I have read speculation that the K mount does not provide sufficient room for the sensor to adequately move. What the facts are - who knows, since Pentax really never says anything.

08-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have read speculation that the K mount does not provide sufficient room for the sensor to adequately move.
You know, they said the same thing about Minolta(RIP) A mount.
08-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have read speculation that the K mount does not provide sufficient room for the sensor to adequately move
??????

Steve
08-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hopefully, if Pentax ever comes out with a FF sensor, it will have in body stabilization, but I have read speculation that the K mount does not provide sufficient room for the sensor to adequately move. What the facts are - who knows, since Pentax really never says anything.
The fact is that those speculating on K-mount being too small for SR on FF, do not know what they are speculating about,

08-23-2014, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
hose speculating on K-mount being too small for SR on FF, do not know what they are speculating about,
I would speculate that these people are the ones that wish Pentax would copy Fuji and go mirrorless and be the new darling of the prosumer demographic who want small cameras and gutless optical wonders that are small and unobtrusive enough that they don't scare off their cats when they try to take pictures of them.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-24-2014 at 05:59 AM.
08-23-2014, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You know, they said the same thing about Minolta(RIP) A mount.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
??????

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The fact is that those speculating on K-mount being too small for SR on FF, do not know what they are speculating about,
Yup, Sony has in body stabilization on their FF alpha bodies. If I remember correctly, one of the last times that Adam "interviewed" Pentax/Ricoh representatives, someone alluded something about the K mount and fitting. Between Pentax/Ricoh trying to say nothing while actually saying something, the language difference along with the inferences and inflections across the languages - makes for a wonderful tea leaf reading session. There was some speculation at the time, that they may be having difficulties in their implementation of SR and various clearances. What ever. Pentax/Ricoh is going to do what ever they are going to do - when ever they decide to do it. Either a FF will arrive sometime or it won't. If it does arrive, it will either have SR or it won't. No one will know until what ever happens - actually happens, when ever that may be (or not).

Me - my K5 is shooting just fine - still takes wonderful images. If something were to happen to it - well there are always the K5IIs or the K3, to select from. I doubt that I'll ever make an "investment" in a 645, be it a D or a Z or who knows what. There is still a lot of capability left within the current offerings. I'm not particularly moved to go camera shopping any time soon. There are some capabilities I would like - but they are not even offered - pretty much by anyone.

I was going to go shooting this evening - but ADOT closed the freeway - so I just came home.....