09-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #31
Veteran Member

X30 hands on if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Steve

09-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The X30 is just plain ugly to me. That grip is like it has been glued on as an afterthought, and the missing OVF is a huge loss for shooting in bright light or very low light.....So what's to like about the X30? Not a damn thing I can see. I wouldn't trade my X10 or X20 for a dozen of them.
That's my call on it.....for someone that would rather own a lesser camera than the X10 at a higher cost, it could be just the thing!

Regards!
09-12-2014, 02:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Well the Boss said I am a Idiot.... the only reason I fancied the X30 was for the extra video, she reminded me I had a video camera I never used.... so thats that idea knocked on the head...

Cheers, Steve
09-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Skank....Sometimes (often) the Boss knows best! Mrs Rupert said I could have the X-T1 in the new silver/black but did ask why I would want an X30 inferior to my X10/X20? She was pleased to hear I didn't.
I will contemplate the X-T1, but as a dedicated Toy Camera shooter, it's not really the camera I want...or need. Toy cameras get a ton of use, others sit on shelves and gather dust far too often around here. Got to be practical and reasonable, even if your greed tries to tell you otherwise.

Regards!

09-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Just read this over at DPR concerning the X30. The author spends a lot of time explaining why the X30 is not an advancement of any meaningful magnitude...then at the end he tries to make all the negatives vanish and the X30 look like a winner.
Opinion: Do we really need the Fuji X30?: Digital Photography Review

Good luck at that! The title of the article was "Do we really need the Fuji X30?"

Save your eyes and skip the article...I can answer that with one word...No!

I personally would rather have one X10 or X20 than a dozen X30 cameras. The X10 has the wonderful EXR sensor and both have a delightful OVF that works in any kind of light. Both are better looking, and both will save you cash while delivering equal or better IQ than the X30.

End of rant!

Regards!
10-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I just bought an x30 from my local camera shop. Going to take it to a music festival this weekend. This is the first brand new camera I have bought in many years. It is smaller than my K-01 which used to be the smallest digital camera I own.

One setting I am excited to try is film simulation bracketing where it takes a shot and saves it as three different film simulation jpegs. Right now I have it set on velvia, classic chrome and monochrome.
10-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Please share the results.

Cheers, Steve

10-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Mr Bassie.....Sorry about my above rant, but it is my honest opinion. Otis can tell you (and will!) that my opinion is usually worth a bucket of warm spit...or less, so I expect you will find it a delightful camera to use.

I too look forward to seeing your results. If anyone can make the X30 shine, I know it will be you, all your work is excellent.

Regards!
10-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I'm hoping they bring Classic Chrome to the old models..... Wont be holding my breath!

Cheers, Steve
10-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Skank... I read somewhere that they would be doing a firmware update for all the X cameras to bring Classic Chrome.......I'd love to try it myself! What I've seen...I liked a lot!

Regards!
10-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Skank... I read somewhere that they would be doing a firmware update for all the X cameras to bring Classic Chrome.......I'd love to try it myself! What I've seen...I liked a lot!

Regards!
Heres to hoping. From what I've heard the X-Pro 1 will only get lens compatibility updates. Love to be proven wrong!

Cheers, Steve
10-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Heres to hoping.
You might like reading this, it is one of the best explanations of Fuji colors I have read and includes a nice analysis of Classic Chrome.
Fuji's Classic Chrome Film Simulation Brings the Magic of Kodachrome to the Digital Realm

Not being all that great a shooter, I often fail to take advantage of the various film setting on my X10/X20, but intend to spend more time experimenting. The bracketing allows this to be done with ease, and is a good place to start.
I still see the X10/X20 as amazing little cameras, with so many features and settings that you can hardly ever get tired of experimentation. All those and more seem to be on the X30, so Mr Bassie should have a fantastic time and provide us with some of his proven excellent capabilities!

Mr Bassie....If you will, give us your view of the EVF on the X30? I am hoping you find it fully capable for your needs? A report would answer a lot of questions.

Regards!
10-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #43
Veteran Member

My report

I took the X30 as my main camera to the Richmond Folk Festival last weekend. I used it under a variety of conditions, night, rain, indoors, and under cloudy skies. We didn't have much sun last weekend.

This is my first Fuji camera and I realized at one point that I can't process the raw files with my version of Lightroom, but that is okay because I really like the JPEGs it produces. I love the look of the classic chrome preset and the black and white with red filter preset as well.

I used a lot of film simulation bracketing to shoot those two presets. I switched the third film required at various points, but I wish it was possible to only bracket two film types instead of three.

Image quality is pretty good. If you are a pixel-peeper you should probably avoid this camera. At 100% it gets kind of nasty, but at normal viewing sizes the files look very nice. I expected this and it is not a big deal for me.

Autofocus was generally quick enough though it did occasionally miss. I used face detection most of the time and it was pretty reliable at showing a box around the face it found.

The EVF is very clear and nice. This is the first EVF I have ever used and I generally preferred using it instead of the LCD. But the articulated LCD was quite useful in certain situations such as shooting over crowds in front of me.

The camera is capable of shooting 12 FPS and I used that to shoot a breakdancing competition.

I also used the video mode and found it satisfactory for my purposes.

The noise at 3200 was definitely noticeable but I liked the look with black and white, but not so much in color.

Battery life was great and I never had any concerns about running out of power, even during the 12-hour long Saturday.

I did have a few memory card reading errors, which is concerning because I bought a brand new card to use with the camera. There was one occasion that the camera locked up completely and was totally unresponsive. I had to pull the battery to get things working again.

I uploaded a bunch of pics onto Flickr if you want a look.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21346550@N04/sets/72157648319401770
10-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks like you had a fun time, Mr Bassie ... thanks for the pics and the type of field test review magazines should do more often, instead of copying and pasting from a press release! :-)
10-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Classic Chrome

Classic Chrome JPEGS

Uke Teacher by DWO630, on
Flickr

---------- Post added 10-13-14 at 08:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Looks like you had a fun time, Mr Bassie ... thanks for the pics and the type of field test review magazines should do more often, instead of copying and pasting from a press release! :-)
Thanks. It was a blast as it is every year. By far the best festival I have ever attended.