Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samsung NX1 should of been a Pentax

After reading the official Samsung NX1 announcement I couldn't help but feel as though this should of been Pentax's spotlight.

Samsung NX1 mirrorless camera

• Brand new 28 MP APS-C CMOS ISOCELL sensor with improved IQ
  • New DRIMe Image Signal Processor
  • AF: 154 cross-type sensors
  • Advanced Hybrid Autofocus System / 2nd generation of Phase Detection Auto Focus System
  • ISO range: 100-51,200
  • Full HD up to 60p, UHD 4K 3840×2160 at 30p/24p
  • 3″ Tiltable AMOLED Touch Display
  • Water and dust proof
  • Wi-Fi and NFC Connectivity
  • Magnesium alloy body
  • No retro style
  • NX1 will be marketed as a professional camera
  • Slightly larger than NX30
  • 15 fps with tracking.
  • Vertical grip available.
  • Body design matches with 16-50 f/2.0-f/2.8 lens
  • Best high ISO performance and EVF among crop sensor bodies
  • Announcement on September 15th
  • Available for sale in October

Too bad it's a crop sensor, I might of actually been interested myself. Otherwise, this looks like a really nice prosumer mirorless body.

09-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Those specs though, and that kit lens too....

I wonder what the pricing and lens availability will be. Too bad it isn't K mount.
09-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Although the specs look impressive I'm not crazy about the button placement. Movie button next to the AF, a separate knob for the AF, ISO, WB and Metering, (they should have copied Pentax's ergonomics)
09-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Same has been said about the Nikon D750. Besides the K-3, Pentax hasn't been moving forward like the rest. Maybe we'll get a surprise at Photokina.

09-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Although the specs look impressive I'm not crazy about the button placement. Movie button next to the AF, a separate knob for the AF, ISO, WB and Metering, (they should have copied Pentax's ergonomics)
It look like Samnsung copied some of the worst parts of Canon and Nikon ergonomics and combined them to one unit. IMO the most interesting part of this camera is the sensor. If Samsung will be able to compete with Sony on sensor performance, we will have two companies fighting to make best sensors, which will be good for us consumers.
09-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
Unregistered User

This looks like a very well thought out camera. Looks ergonomically perfect. Will be interesting to see how the sensor performs.
09-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems like there's always camera envy whenever someone else announces something new... The specs does sound nice but it will be more interesting if Samsung becomes good at making sensors.

09-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Same has been said about the Nikon D750. Besides the K-3, Pentax hasn't been moving forward like the rest. Maybe we'll get a surprise at Photokina.
With the NX1 and the d750, the K3 is facing an uphill climb. Maybe we'll see the NX1 specs in a K3ii? Ha. I do feel like waiting a bit to canonize the NX1. I'd like to know what the crop is at 4k, and if Samsung has managed the rolling shutter at APS-C. If Samsung has done that—upped the video stability to a GH4 comparable level—then we're looking at a very attractive machine.
09-13-2014, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

154 cross-type AF points sounds nice, I'm skeptical whether Samsung has invested enough in R&D to optimize its AF algorithms and put themselves in the same class as Nikon & Canon. I'm looking forward at the ISOCELL sensor's performance, hope it warrants the hype about increased IQ fidelity and DR.
09-13-2014, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting.. I thought Samsung has IBIS feature in their earlier DSLR models, no? The button placements are odd, but then again, I don't like the ones on Canikon models either.
09-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Interesting.. I thought Samsung has IBIS feature in their earlier DSLR models, no? The button placements are odd, but then again, I don't like the ones on Canikon models either.
The used Pentax K-mount DSLR at first, but only for a few years (until 2008).
After that they designed their own mirrorless system (NX) with a new mount (without IBIS).
09-15-2014, 03:33 AM   #12
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really cool machine
Samsung NX1 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

Pentax K-3 is not the best APS-C camera anymore...

---------- Post added 09-15-2014 at 03:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
154 cross-type AF points sounds nice, I'm skeptical whether Samsung has invested enough in R&D to optimize its AF algorithms and put themselves in the same class as Nikon & Canon. I'm looking forward at the ISOCELL sensor's performance, hope it warrants the hype about increased IQ fidelity and DR.
Actually taking photos is a pleasant experience. The camera starts up fairly quickly, and focus speeds are impressive, though I'm not convinced that it's the fastest system out there (those claims are usually made under very controlled conditions). Given the NX1's Hybrid AF system, which has phase detect points over 90% of the frame, I expected it to be pretty good at subject tracking, and when fooling around the office it seems to work well. The NX1's 15fps burst mode is quite impressive, as well.
09-15-2014, 03:36 AM   #13

Just watching live Photokina updates and this thing is sounding super impressive!

[live] photokina live coverage
09-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #14

This thing is way overpriced. Samsung isn't known for great sensors, it hardly looks well built, and whats up with the lens situation? OH BUT ITS 2_8_mp IT KILLS K3!! Noone has even seen a proper sample but this is the apparent camera of jesus pentax needs to make. Just....'features'!!!
09-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben78 Quote
Just watching live Photokina updates and this thing is sounding super impressive!
It does seem pretty clear that high level crop cameras, olympus, panasonic, sony, will be 4k as of 2015. So Pentax has a choice, compete at 4k and put a more expensive processor in the camera, or compete at ff and put a more expensive sensor in the camera.