Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon G7X - Canon's response to the RX100?

The rumoured specs look interesting - if Canon executes this well (and I am reasonably confident they can) this could be an RX100 killer:
http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/09/the-new-canon-powershot-g7-x/

09-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Finally G12 replacement?
09-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw that one too. Looks rather nice. Can we expect any Pentax compact?
09-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I saw that one too. Looks rather nice. Can we expect any Pentax compact?
Do you want one, or are you still just stirring the pot?

09-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
stirring the pot?
why else would a thread like "Why I wouldnt buy a K-3" exist
09-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Relooking at the specs, what excites me are:
- lens - 24-100 1.8-2.8? Wow
- control wheel - Canon S cameras has always had a better wheel than Sony - more responsive and usable
- touchscreen - thank you Canon for recognising that a touchscreen is a very useful focusing aid - always wish Sony would implement touchscreen on their more advanced cameras
- AF - I am secretly hoping Canon has a good AF implementation - not that Sony is bad, but Canon has had more years of experience getting AF right

Probably the first Canon I have been excited about for years. I really wanted to buy the EOS M, but was turned off by the negative reviews. I was hoping Canon would improve with M2 or M3, but looks like they gave up.

Negatives - no hotshoe, no GPS
09-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Do you want one, or are you still just stirring the pot?
I really want one.
I wonder what takes them so long — it's been 3 generations of RX100 already, and they give us .. a rebranded JK now for the third time?

I would really love a compact like this one, house-made, with Pentax handling and menus. I have the Q already, and no, it is not pocketable like these.
09-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

The problem....on over 90% of the days in many States, like mine, you can't see a damn thing in the LCD and are basically shooting blind. Some sort of EVF or OVF is a must for bright sunshine shooting, you just can't get around it. I've tried them all..step outside the door and you might as well be wearing a blindfold.
I like the specs on this otherwise....I imagine the IQ will be up to par with the Sony. For shooters in Seattle, it could be perfect!

Regards!

09-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Negatives - no hotshoe, no GPS
I don't think that's negative. It's a bloody compact camera, to be used when not using a dedicated flash and DSLR system!
No GPS is fine too; less battery waste, more essential experience. There is also a fine habit in photo making, to have a journal with you. It is better than GPS, because it connects a photographer better with subject and places. A travelogue. You may even write a song in it, something a GPS cannot understand.
09-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It would be nice if the rear LCD included Sony's "White Magic" pixels like the Ricoh GR. Then you'd have a fighting chance in bright sunlight. The G7X does look nice but I wonder just how small it will be. A 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8 lens? I'll bet the camera isn't as small as any of the RX100's. When will we see a one-inch sensor entry with the Pentax or Ricoh name on it? It seems, outside of traditional DSLR's, like we're always playing catch-up... or not competing at all.
09-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I don't think that's negative. It's a bloody compact camera, to be used when not using a dedicated flash and DSLR system!
No GPS is fine too; less battery waste, more essential experience. There is also a fine habit in photo making, to have a journal with you. It is better than GPS, because it connects a photographer better with subject and places. A travelogue. You may even write a song in it, something a GPS cannot understand.
LOL - that's funny.

But I like living in the 21st century.

Compact with hotshoe - you never realise how useful that is until you have one. I have attached the HVL-60M to my Sony HX50v and yes it looks a bit silly but it's darn effective! A more realistic combo is the 20M with a compact sized camera - I have used that so many times now it makes a real difference in the quality of images. I pretty much carry the 20M with me everywhere regardless of camera I am using, it is small enough to fit into the handbag.

Plus the hotshoe can also be attached to microphones for video shooting (at least the Sony one can) - great for music concerts and events where audio is important but the camera needs to be tiny.

---------- Post added 09-14-2014 at 09:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
It would be nice if the rear LCD included Sony's "White Magic" pixels like the Ricoh GR. Then you'd have a fighting chance in bright sunlight.
Don't need to. I have never had a problem shooting in bright daylight with LCD screens on any of my cameras. Most of them these days have a "daylight" setting that boost levels enough to allow for composition. It's basically a non-issue.
09-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon's response to Canon's response to Sony.

09-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Don't need to. I have never had a problem shooting in bright daylight with LCD screens on any of my cameras. Most of them these days have a "daylight" setting that boost levels enough to allow for composition. It's basically a non-issue.
I personally find the White Magic technology works a bit better. But, more importantly, it saves quite a bit on battery life.
09-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Canon G7X lays claim to Sony RX100-series turf with longer lens, faster autofocus and touch-screen

I have to say this looks like a really impressive compact camera. I can't wait to see how the IQ compares with the Sony RX100 I/II/III.
09-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
Banned

When I saw the Panasonic LX100, I have changed my mind about the G7X.
LX100 looks fantastic.