Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Leica is available, for a $300 premium. Leica introduces D-Lux 24-75mm equiv compact with Four Thirds sensor: Digital Photography Review

I was looking at the RX100 III a couple of months ago, but the small sensor negated the fast lens. I bought an a6000 with tiny power zoom instead. I was intending to get the Sony 35mm f1.8 and be done, but damn LBA, they had the Zeiss Touits on sale at just the wrong time and I bit. I've just added a Sigma 60mm. The LX100 is the camera I should have bought. Even the Leica would have saved me a whack of money, because that lens doesn't come off. ;-)

09-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
One of my only problems.....I've never been an early adopter of any gear. Just looking from the sidelines with the Pentax K-3 - the street price dropped so quickly and dramatically after it started shipping. But looking back at Panasonic, it doesn't look that the same applies. Their cameras seem to settle to a street price pretty close to the original list and stay there. I know I shouldn't worry about such things, but I always have resale value in the back of my mind when I buy anything.

Even with that said, I still might make a pre-order for this one though.......
09-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Stan.....I think Pentax is a good value for users but not for investors. The prices sink pretty fast on bodies and even many of the lenses. No different than some makes of cars. If you think you will get your moneys worth out of a camera, the price is not all that important. My X10/X20 have far exceeded what I paid for them (actually, what Mrs Rupert paid for them) in pleasure and durability.
Likewise with my K5 original...far exceeded my expectations, so much so, I forget what I paid for it?

The LX100 is pretty steep, but if it meets expectations it could be well worth the price.

Regards!
09-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Well, it comes with a copy of Adobe Lightroom (yay - yet another copy!!!) that's worth $150

I figure the red dot is worth at least $50

Which leaves $100 - I think the Leica looks nicer, so maybe that's worth $100.

09-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Stan.....I think Pentax is a good value for users but not for investors. The prices sink pretty fast on bodies and even many of the lenses. No different than some makes of cars. If you think you will get your moneys worth out of a camera, the price is not all that important. My X10/X20 have far exceeded what I paid for them (actually, what Mrs Rupert paid for them) in pleasure and durability.
Likewise with my K5 original...far exceeded my expectations, so much so, I forget what I paid for it?

The LX100 is pretty steep, but if it meets expectations it could be well worth the price.

Regards!
So true Rupert! I know I have that feeling with my K-5IIs and DA* lenses - I enjoy them enough that there is no monetary thought. But I always seem to have to justify any "want" purchases vs. "need" purchases and $900 takes a whole lot of justification!
09-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
So true Rupert! I know I have that feeling with my K-5IIs and DA* lenses - I enjoy them enough that there is no monetary thought. But I always seem to have to justify any "want" purchases vs. "need" purchases and $900 takes a whole lot of justification!
I used to agonise over even small purchases.

But lately I've come to the conclusion, life is short and I am not getting younger. And at the end of the day, most of the time you get what you paid for, and even if it goes on a firesale 1-2 years later you've had 1-2 years of enjoyment out of it, and that is priceless.

And by comparison, prices are cheap compared to even a few years ago. I bought my first digital camera for $2000 - it had a fixed focus (meaning no focusing at all), shot 1 megapixel, and no Raw. I bought Pentax's first DSLR for $3000 (the *ist D) - 6 megapixels, max ISO was 800 I believe.

Cameras are so cheap these days it is really a Golden Age - I suspect prices will actually go up in future years due to decreasing demand so now is the time to stock up on toys.
09-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Well, it comes with a copy of Adobe Lightroom (yay - yet another copy!!!) that's worth $150

Leica's D-Lux version also has 3 years of international warranty.
Leica all the way!

---------- Post added 09-18-2014 at 09:04 AM ----------

As Christine noted, this Photokina gave us some incredible new prospects.
I sincerely believe most people really don't need a DSLR or any ILC, after a camera like the LX100. Together with a GR, one can have a combo that beats many ILC systems, for the same money and far, far greater power and flexibility.
After all, two cameras are better than one, and both GR and LX100 mean no compromise as we used to have before.
The age of K-3, D7000 and 7DII is gone. Before we though, "let me buy a DSLR and a small sensored compact", and ended up selling DSLR after a while because compact was more with us and SLR always stayed at home.
But now, two all new generation compacts are more portable, enjoyable, etc. than the previous solution.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-17-2014 at 04:05 PM.
09-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Leica's D-Lux version also has 3 years of international warranty.
Leica all the way!
Yeah, the more I think about it Leica is looking like the better deal.

All Leica needs to do now is to sweeten the deal by releasing a Hello Kitty edition.

09-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I had the same analysis.
09-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #40
Veteran Member

the Leica might be a better option for those in the UK as the LX100 works out 300 cheaper buying in The States, the international warranty would be great! Though not sure how much they would sting you on import duty and vat....
09-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How long until Sony beats the LX100 with similar size and APS-C sensor? It looks doable:
Compare camera dimensions side by side
09-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
the Leica might be a better option for those in the UK as the LX100 works out 300 cheaper buying in The States, the international warranty would be great! Though not sure how much they would sting you on import duty and vat....
Yep the Leica is 60 cheaper in the USA the the Panny in the UK! Argh!

Cheers, Steve
09-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the Leica looks nicer, so maybe that's worth $100.
I agree...the Leica is much better looking......I'll have to consider that in November.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The age of K-3, D7000 and 7DII is gone. Before we though, "let me buy a DSLR and a small sensored compact", and ended up selling DSLR after a while because compact was more with us and SLR always stayed at home.
But now, two all new generation compacts are more portable, enjoyable, etc. than the previous solution.
Over in our Toy Camera thread we have been saying this for some time! We seem to be picking up many new posters that have discovered that "the best cameras is the one you have with you" is not just an old tired saying....it's the honest truth!
You guys get a Toy Camera and join us, it's fun and never boring....also easy on the back!
Regards!
09-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #44
Pentaxian

The Lumix LF 1 that I bought a year ago also has a Leica twin called the Leica C which also sells for a considerably higher price and also comes with Lightroom. I was very tempted to buy the Leica, which sells for $799, over the Lumix which was $599. That narrowed the price difference quite a bit but as it neared the Christmas shopping season, the LF 1 dropped to $299. That kind of sealed it for me. I'm happy I didn't spend the $$$$$ for that red dot. On paper anyhow. the LX100 looks far better than the LF 1 but I would encourage anyone interested to actually handle one and seriously check it out first. The viewfinder on the LF 1 is barely adequate although it does the job of framing the scene in bright light and nothing more. The battery life is dismal and doesn't last the day and has to be charged in the camera so that's something to look at with the LX100 also. I'm very glad I waited for the price to drop.

Panasonic is making some fine little cameras and I'm happy with mine but that $899 price is more than I spent on my K10D with 2 lenses back in 07 and just slightly less than I paid for my K5. I would wait a while and watch the prices and more importantly, wait for some in depth reviews.
09-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A closer look at the LX100 on video.....looks solid to me, I do think I want the silver, it looks classy.....
Photokina 2014 interview: The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100: Digital Photography Review

....and everyone knows old Rupert is a classy guy! Smart too! I've already convinced Mrs Rupert that the LX100 is the camera she needs!

Regards!