Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 02:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
G.E.Zekai's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 199
Pentax K3 still has no competitor ? 7dmk2 inc.

We all know that our flagship K3 is a great semi-pro apsc DSLR. And it was the only one in this category almost a year!( not counting 5 year old canikons).

Although Canon just released 7D mk2 i dont feel like it created any major competition against K3.


Specs of 7D mk2 is just gorgeous. Probably best AF system on any apsc dslr right now by far and comes in canon mount. However the way i see it its only aimed for the birders and sports guys on a budget and thats the reason i dont see it competing against K3.
Taking Pentax system as whole we lack long telephoto zooms and primes that Canon has greatly and both autofocus system and K3's intention weren't build for bird shooters as i find it more "jack of all trades". Also Canon doesn't have as much as crop sensor lenses that Pentax.

So will Nikon release a competitor against K3 or 7D mk2 ? because i found these two to be fairly distinct from each other. What do you think about the x vs y?

09-16-2014, 03:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member
LeeRunge's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 355
I'd like to see how the 7dII sensor ends up. AF and lenses will be excellent (and expensive). For action the 7dii would be the better choice if you need high performance AF and lens motors.

That Samsung NX1 is looking to beat both the K-3 and the 7dii if it lives up to it's claims.
09-16-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior Member
G.E.Zekai's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'd like to see how the 7dII sensor ends up. AF and lenses will be excellent (and expensive). For action the 7dii would be the better choice if you need high performance AF and lens motors.

That Samsung NX1 is looking to beat both the K-3 and the 7dii if it lives up to it's claims.
Rumors says its the same sensor of the 70D. Nevertheless Canon is behind in terms of sensor quality now and i can imagine 7d mk2 competing K5 in terms of IQ.


I never liked Samsungs to be fair, always trying to target non-photographers and way to expensive gear in my opinion. Although i am not very familiar with current lens lineup of NX, i am pretty sure it lacks quality glass.
09-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
Banned




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,658
QuoteQuote:
That Samsung NX1 is looking to beat both the K-3 and the 7dii if it lives up to it's claims.
All of every camera maker's offerings beat all the other camera makers according to their own claims. Why would these claims be any different? Lets just look at the claims everyone makes for all cameras and see if we can decide which camera is the best, based on those claims. It would be an interesting exercise.


Last edited by normhead; 09-16-2014 at 05:34 AM.
09-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,674
Well if that sensor is the same then I'm good to go for the time being. This is what I see (next to some full framers):

Canon EOS 70D versus Pentax K5 versus Nikon D300s - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark
09-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,755
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Rumors says its the same sensor of the 70D. Nevertheless Canon is behind in terms of sensor quality now and i can imagine 7d mk2 competing K5 in terms of IQ.


I never liked Samsungs to be fair, always trying to target non-photographers and way to expensive gear in my opinion. Although i am not very familiar with current lens lineup of NX, i am pretty sure it lacks quality glass.
Samsung is touting new manufacturing processes with their sensors and bodies with tighter tolerances, like many here i'm curious to see how the NX1 pans out.
There's a lot of Pentax shooters (me included) that have ventured into wildlife/birding territory. The occurrences of pentax users complaining about the lack of support in long telephoto lenses is increasing. The K-3 is a top notch APS-C sensor, on a rugged body which should be ideal for birding in that regard, currently the choice of lenses on the 400+ are slim and prospects too expensive. That said, a used Da 560, a beast of a lens in size and IQ, could be had in the price range of the new Sigma 300mm f2.8, or used 500mm f4.5, a setup that competes well with other brands. All we have missed on the pentax system is old, cheap (plentiful) legacy glass.
09-16-2014, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,777
And Canon is partying like it's 2009...
09-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 963
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
way to expensive gear
Their primes are crazy cheap:

10mm f/3.5 299 USD
16mm f/2.4 236 USD
20mm f/2.8 277 USD
30mm f/2.0 236 USD
45mm f/1.8 265 USD
85mm f/1.4 800 USD


With a really fantastic body, like the NX-1, that's a pretty nice kit.

09-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,233
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Samsung is touting new manufacturing processes with their sensors and bodies with tighter tolerances, like many here i'm curious to see how the NX1 pans out.
There's a lot of Pentax shooters (me included) that have ventured into wildlife/birding territory. The occurrences of pentax users complaining about the lack of support in long telephoto lenses is increasing. The K-3 is a top notch APS-C sensor, on a rugged body which should be ideal for birding in that regard, currently the choice of lenses on the 400+ are slim and prospects too expensive. That said, a used Da 560, a beast of a lens in size and IQ, could be had in the price range of the new Sigma 300mm f2.8, or used 500mm f4.5, a setup that competes well with other brands. All we have missed on the pentax system is old, cheap (plentiful) legacy glass.
The new 100-450 zoom should help with the lack of long glass
09-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,471
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'd like to see how the 7dII sensor ends up. AF and lenses will be excellent (and expensive). For action the 7dii would be the better choice if you need high performance AF and lens motors.

That Samsung NX1 is looking to beat both the K-3 and the 7dii if it lives up to it's claims.
Samsung is using a BSI sensor, so it should perform better at high ISO than the K-3 or the 7DII. I have not been impressed with Samsung's image processing in the past, but the sensor should be really good.
09-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member
LeeRunge's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 355
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Samsung is using a BSI sensor, so it should perform better at high ISO than the K-3 or the 7DII. I have not been impressed with Samsung's image processing in the past, but the sensor should be really good.
I think we are all waiting in anticipation to see how the sensor and AF perform on the new Samsung. It should be interesting when the reviewers get it.

Looks like they have a bunch of inexpensive primes and a couple nice zooms. The 16-55 2-2.8 would be ideal for me. I'd need a large leap in performance to replace my K-5 and 16-50 though.

The K7 used a Samsung sensor and I loved the colors it produced. I still prefer the K7's color output to my K5. The DR was crap though and the K5 bests it by a large margin, same for high ISO. If this 28mp sensor is excellent maybe we'll see it in a future K camera.
09-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 574
The target buyer of the 7DII is the wildlife or sports photographer that can't afford to put the glass they need on the 5dIII or the 1DX. For that shooter, Pentax isn't a consideration, nor is Samsung.

Yes Canon is behind in sensor technology, but that matters less than what the buyers of the Canon gain in many other areas. Nikon DX shooters are perturbed that their choice is the D7100 or the old D300(s). Yeah, they've got a better sensor in the D7100, but they long for the build quality of the D300, and hate their short raw buffer in the D7100. The 7Dii is better in those areas. Skin tones to boot, are better in the eyes of most on Canon, at least compared to Nikon, though wildlife shooters might prefer the punchiness of the Nikons.

It will, if the AF works as advertised, be better than any other Canon, Nikon or Pentax crop body (though I know it can't touch the Sony A 6000 with the world's fastest AF, but then you can't have everything )
09-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 128
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
10mm f/3.5 299 USD
16mm f/2.4 236 USD
20mm f/2.8 277 USD
30mm f/2.0 236 USD
45mm f/1.8 265 USD
85mm f/1.4 800 USD
I'd love to be corrected on this, but there's no OIS on the primes.

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
way to expensive gear in my opinion
The body isn't expensive, given the 4k. It comes in under the GH4 and has a bigger sensor. The new zoom they're coming out with, the 16-50 OIS 2-2.8, isn't cheap, but there is a 2.8-5.6 16-50 OIS that is cheap. There are primes with no OIS that are inexpensive. Kind of limited, but if the camera specs bear out, there would be enough to work with.
09-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
Senior Member
G.E.Zekai's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
The body isn't expensive, given the 4k. It comes in under the GH4 and has a bigger sensor. The new zoom they're coming out with, the 16-50 OIS 2-2.8, isn't cheap, but there is a 2.8-5.6 16-50 OIS that is cheap. There are primes with no OIS that are inexpensive. Kind of limited, but if the camera specs bear out, there would be enough to work with.
Yeah body price seems to be ok but looking the Samsung system as a whole there are many gaps and its just not the lenses. Pentax is a very old brand and even we got alot of gaps in our system.

To add more Samsung needs to be a total deal breaker from cameras to lenses for most people to switch over them. I have been switching over Pentax for over a year and selling my Canon stuff than replace it with Pentax was very hard. Whatever i do i cant seem to get rid of 5d mk2 with 70-200 f2.8L II. Imagine this problem to Samsung.
09-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 128
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
To add more Samsung needs to be a total deal breaker from cameras to lenses for most people to switch over them. I have been switching over Pentax for over a year and selling my Canon stuff than replace it with Pentax was very hard. Whatever i do i cant seem to get rid of 5d mk2 with 70-200 f2.8L II. Imagine this problem to Samsung.
4k in body is not currently offered by anyone else at APSC. The only competition is the GH4 at M43. If there isn't anything really strange that comes out in the reviews, this is a deal breaking camera. The 1100 for 2-2.8 16-50 OIS is in keeping with the market of every other brand, including Pentax, and Samsung does offer a 2.8-5.6 16-50 OIS for 300, which is not expensive. The Primes are not expensive, but don't have OIS. That would be the gap.

And by the way, the lens gap that Pentax has currently in video is far worse than Samsung: with the current software SR of the K3, there is not a single OIS lens or option to use SR in any lens. That would be 0 options for shake reduction / stabilization.

For stills, I'm with you; I wouldn't leave Pentax for Samsung, no way. But the video specs on the NX1 are looking awfully convincing, and since Pentax is a fuji processor (fuji isn't strong on video yet) and a sony sensor (no 4k in camera on DSLR, no, not the A7—the A7 requires a 4k recorder), I don't see much chance that Pentax is going to catch up to its competition, i.e. Sony, Samsung and Fuji, in the video specs. Not anytime soon.

I don't know what to say about resale, ha. Uh, yeah, it's hell. Nobody wants old technology. Want to buy my old desktop?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
7d, 7d mk2, apsc, canon, competitor 7dmk2, dont, k3, lineup, mk2, pentax, pentax k3, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature K3 & F*250-600mm, first test inc. RAW file! Unlocker Post Your Photos! 11 09-17-2014 10:22 AM
K3 flip mirror issue still exists? Maksat Tutan Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 05-05-2014 07:37 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses (has been sold) and Tripod Foot(Still available) Mikesul Sold Items 2 11-28-2013 04:54 PM
My K3 has arrived... Kingston 1000 Pentax K-3 2 11-02-2013 12:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top