Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
I Am So... Screwed! New Canon 5d

I've always been quite partial to Canon; an A-1 was my second 'real' camera and I still have, love and use it! When I finally got away from P&S and went full digital I fell head over heels for a Nikon D50. Then I found a K100DS and...wow, talk about love at first sight! Fast forward a year or so, I'm simply having the time of my life with way too many cameras; D50, D90 K100DS and a veritable antique store's worth of Spotmatics, K1000's ME Supers, Super Program not to mention the Nikons, Mamiya (Even an M645) and Canon film cameras and enough lenses to stock the photography department of the New York TImes several times over. Then my Camera guy who I lovingly refer to as 'my pusher' sells me a very nice Canon 50mm / 1.8 with an EOS adapter.

Seemed a shame to NOT have anything to use it on and I initially toyed with the idea of just getting a Canon EOS film camera but nooo, my other 'pusher' happened to have a gently used Canon 5D for like $400. I resisted for almost a week. Almost, before I picked it up and went uhhh...wow. I put it back most hastily, lasted another day or two before I called them one day right after they opened and rushed to claim my first full frame. Nothing to write home about, none of the latest whiz-bangery and a measly 12MP full frame sensor and I am still undecided if it is truly 'better' than my 12MP D90 but it was another camera that I just like! It feels good, the controls are placed well (Phooey on you K-R) and I even like the chunky battery grip. Probably because it is as comfy as my F4s.

So of course I must have EF lenses, not EF-S and lo and behold, a thrift store find nets me for cheap, less than a third what the lenses would cost even used, a full Canon Kit in a Canon bag! Obviously someone's treasured kit with an EOS film somethingorother, 35-80 EF, 75-300 EF both Canon, a Quantaray EF 2x Teleconverter and a Quantaray 19-43 which I think is a rebranded Sigma. Came with the manual and had the requisite silica packs in the bottom. Inside everything was clean and sparkly with caps even and the dust outside was easily knocked off. Just the general condition said this was someone's treasure and now it is mine to care for for a while. The EOS has a battery now and appears to work great and soon will have a roll of Fuji because I can't help myself!

09-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You, sir, have a problem! You might need professional help.
09-20-2014, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest self-flagellation as penance, but owning the 5D is probably sufficient.

Steve
09-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

We'll forgive you if you take the pledge never to castrate a K-mount lens.

09-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would suggest self-flagellation as penance, but owning the 5D is probably sufficient.
09-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dubiousone Quote
and soon will have a roll of Fuji because I can't help myself!
What roll?
09-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Another member here says many people prefer the look from that 12MP sensor. I recently got a used one, and it has provided some fun with the Tamron 150-600 and Canon 17TS. I also have the 50 and 28 for the normal and moderate wide angle. I also have a used 40D that gives the lenses another home.

I'm assuming your 5D mirror has been fixed and will not fall off...

09-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Another member here says many people prefer the look from that 12MP sensor. I recently got a used one, and it has provided some fun with the Tamron 150-600 and Canon 17TS. I also have the 50 and 28 for the normal and moderate wide angle. I also have a used 40D that gives the lenses another home.

I'm assuming your 5D mirror has been fixed and will not fall off...
LOL, no idea so I guess we'll find out!

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
What roll?
Just my standard everyday Fuji 400 Superia just to see if it works. Knowing my luck it will and I'll probably use something nicer the next time... and the next and...LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
We'll forgive you if you take the pledge never to castrate a K-mount lens.
I have no idea what that means but all my K-mount lenses have a home wit hthe Pentax's...in their own drawer(s)!
09-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

LOL, no idea so I guess we'll find out!
I understand all the original 5D's used a glue to hold the mirror on the frame, and eventually the glue deteriorated - so clack, thunk. I also read Canon will add some retainer clips to keep it in place - no questions asked. Canon's service center has moved from Irvine to 123 Paularino, Costa Mesa, CA 92626.
09-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have no idea what that means but all my K-mount lenses have a home with the Pentax's...in their own drawer(s)!
Some users cut off the aperture lever or shield on K-mount lenses so they don't foul when fitted to a Canon.
09-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have no idea what that means but all my K-mount lenses have a home wit hthe Pentax's...in their own drawer(s)!
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Some users cut off the aperture lever or shield on K-mount lenses so they don't foul when fitted to a Canon.
Yep, mirror clearance is an historic issue (going back to the 1960s) with adapted lenses on Canon SLRs. The registration distance is shallow, but the clearances are tight. The coupling levers on K-mount lenses will not clear the innards on the EF mount cameras.

Steve
09-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I understand all the original 5D's used a glue to hold the mirror on the frame, and eventually the glue deteriorated - so clack, thunk. I also read Canon will add some retainer clips to keep it in place - no questions asked. Canon's service center has moved from Irvine to 123 Paularino, Costa Mesa, CA 92626.
A-HA! I shall investigate that, thank you!

---------- Post added 09-21-14 at 09:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, mirror clearance is an historic issue (going back to the 1960s) with adapted lenses on Canon SLRs. The registration distance is shallow, but the clearances are tight. The coupling levers on K-mount lenses will not clear the innards on the EF mount cameras.

Steve
Well...I have absolutely NO intention of doing THAT to any of my K-mounts. They are intended for K-mount cameras that start with the letter "P" !
09-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter

For the mirror issue, see this:
Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : Consumer & Home Office

If your mirror has the reinforcement shown in the excerpt then you should be fine. Also, it isn't a big problem unless you live in a humid area.

The 5DC is an amazing camera. Enjoy.
09-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

5Dc is a great camera.
Thought I would never say that when I got it, but it grew on me.
Canon really got a lot of things right way back when they made it.
It does not have the creature comforts of features and fast AF like cameras nowadays, but what works, works.

I liked the Canon 5D reproduction of skin tones too.

If one does not need the MP, I personally think its as relevant a camera now as it was years ago when it was made (10yrs ago?)

I'd recommend an inexpensive set of primes like 20mm, 50mm, 85mm (f2.8/f1.8 versions)
Else, fit on a EEG precision focusing screen and mix and match with adapters to use some legacy lenses (eg. Nikon, M42, Contax )
09-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #15

+1

The 5D is a great camera. The lcd is small and itīs old tech, but still it beats my K-5 in AF speed and accuracy I just got the 6D, but I still use the 5D for many things, for example portraits,because of the marvelous skin tones. Canon has some very nice and cheap primes.the build quality is not that great, but they are light weight,and have good iq check out: Ef 35 f2 (non IS), EF 50 1.8 and EF 85 1.8.