Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2014, 03:15 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Doing so now would be an economic disaster for pentax. Canon might be able to pull it off, but they will have to get their affairs in order otherwise they will be skating on thin ice
It would be an economical disaster for me as well. I bought a few good Pentax K mount lenses ( you know, spend money on glass ) and if I have to ditch that to use a new camera, with the way our currency is going.....

09-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Doing so now would be an economic disaster for pentax. Canon might be able to pull it off, but they will have to get their affairs in order otherwise they will be skating on thin ice.
I agree. It would be a disaster for Pentax, but me as well. Given how long it takes Pentax to come out with truly new good lens designs, I certainly wouldn't be following their lead.
09-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #78
Veteran Member

This relationship between camera owners, the number of lenses they own, the lens mount, and the manufacturers is an interesting one. The lens mount is both a liabiity and an asset at one time. An asset because customers may continue to buy lenses, but a liability because at some point, it prevents the manufacturer from adopting newer technologies that may require a mount design change. So you find a company like Sony not only building bodies for their new mounts, E and FE, but still building a body for the older A-mount lenses.

One thing Pentax could do is come out with a sequel to the K01. The K01 has sort of a cult following now. Call it the K02 and add enthusiast features like a shutter cable port, add a built-in EVF, add a tilting LCD like the 645Z - there's plenty of room for that, add built-in wifi and remote operability to a smart phone, improve the existing focus peaking and focusing magnification feature, improve the HDR range to what they provide on Pentax DSLRs, and you'd have a counter-culture mirrorless camera that would sell like hotcakes. Plus it would AF all the Pentax lenses and MF like a fox.

One advantage the K02 would have over other mirrorless, is that it has a better build. Sony's Nex style cameras have a weak tripod mount - i've seen a post where the tripod mount twisted out. A WR K02 would have a durability factor useful for travel and hiking. Its not too late for Pentax to revamp the K02. Frankly, i would thow out the Marc Newsome signature on the bottom

I think the K02 as described would sell well, especially if it had a FF sensor. Even if it didn't sell well, the upside would be they would have the mirrorless technology all developed for future cameras.

Last edited by philbaum; 09-28-2014 at 11:46 AM.
09-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #79
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon's F mount hasn't hurt them over the years. They started out with it and updated it since 1959. The K-mount is very similar with a very close registration distance. Both are about as petite as you can get for a 24x36mm format. Once upon a time Mamiya had a petite 35mm mount but they went through too many revisions too fast and knocked themselves out of the 35mm market. Canon got away with shifting from the FD to the EOS when they did because that was early in the AF era and film was king. Digital was just a cool idea at the time.