Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Post some images here once you arrive in Fuji land!

When you have an X-T1 in hand, could you please hunt around the Fuji documentation to reveal the EV metering and AF sensitivity range of the camera? Fuji do not reveal that data anywhere I can find. I suspect it is something like 1-18 EV for both EV and AF, but some official confirmation would be nice.
I too would like to know this. I will definitely miss -3ev AF

---------- Post added 09-24-14 at 06:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I can understand, although I don't really think the high iso performance on the X series is that much different from the K5.
you can compare on imaging-resource. I'd say its a noticeable difference. It keeps up with the regular D4 pretty well

09-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure. The lack of third party support is an unfortunate downside of the X Trans sensor.
DxO is the only one not supporting it. LR, C1, Silkypics, + 3 others. In some ways Fuji has more support. VSCO doesn't have custom color profiles for Pentax, but they do for Fuji. Zeiss makes lenses for X-mount, but not Pentax. 3rd party support for Fuji is growing faster than it is for Pentax, and companies like Sigma are pulling back from K-mount. As small as the Fuji market share is, its kind of surprising to see the amount of 3rd party support.
09-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote

you can compare on imaging-resource. I'd say its a noticeable difference. It keeps up with the regular D4 pretty well
I just checked it out (XT-1 vs. regular D4) - ISO 6400, looks like some extreme NR going on with the Fuji images, lips, hair smudged with loss of detail. Not good... and easy to reproduce with a slider for any image.
09-24-2014, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tend not to judge the decisions of Pentax shooters, their dismay is in my view warranted. I was lucky to get on the bandwagon late so I'm a bit more optimistic about the future (but I guess I haven't been around long enough for my optimism to turn sour.)

09-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I just checked it out (XT-1 vs. regular D4) - ISO 6400, looks like some extreme NR going on with the Fuji images, lips, hair smudged with loss of detail. Not good... and easy to reproduce with a slider for any image.
I agree. The comparometer shows much less detail for Fuji at iso 6400, but noise is pretty smoothed out. The K5 has more noise and more detail. The D4 has the same noise, but more detail. I guess you choose what you want.
09-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have almost hit the "Buy Now" button on the X-T1 several times, in particular since the Graphite model came out. The only thing that has stopped me is the reality that I am a Toy Camera shooter and would just be wasting my money on a "real" camera.

I think you are making a good decision, the Fuji system is growing like weeds and they are on the cutting edge of technology. If there is a better looking camera than the X-T1...I haven't seen it!

Regards! & Best of luck...come back to the Fuji Thread and join us when you get going with your new camera! We have BF (Beer Fridays) and I will buy you a free beer!
09-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I too have been tempted by Fuji but I always try and remember that if I can't take a good a good picture with what I already have then most likely I am the problem.

09-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is well known that Fuji overstates sensitivity and adds heavy NR to raw files. In addition, they sacrifice ISO 100 so they can apply a tone curve, which reduces maximum dynamic range by one stop vs. other 16mp cameras with Sony sensors. A K-3 or a6000 with 24mp sensor will easily out-resolve any Fuji body. I see the allure of Fuji lenses, but the bodies are second tier.

"By our tests, the X-T1's measured sensitivities are around 1/2 - 2/3EV lower than marked, which is unusual for a modern camera. This means that for any given light level, the X-T1 has to use a significantly slower shutter speed, brighter aperture or higher ISO to get an image of the same brightness as an accurately-rated camera.

It's unusual to see this sort of discrepancy and we're disappointed that Fujifilm persists with a system that, while technically compliant with the ISO standard, ends up appearing rather disingenuous."

"Because of this, direct comparisons have to be treated with a degree of caution - it's best to assume that the demosaicing process of the X-Trans CMOS sensor behaves as though it's doing substantial chroma noise reduction relative to ACR's standard treatment of Bayer sensors. Again we also have to factor in the X-T1's over-rating of its ISOs.

Even bearing this in mind, the X-T1 performs very well when its Raw images are converted with ACR. There's essentially no chroma noise, and luminance noise is suppressed until around ISO 3200, at which point you start to notice some hints of noise reduction artefacts - something not normally seen in Raw files. But again, it's very important to understand that the X-T1 looks artificially good in comparison to the other cameras here.

Fujifilm X-T1 Review: Digital Photography Review"

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-25-2014 at 09:39 AM.
09-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really sorry to hear that but I've had an awesome experience with their bridge cameras

You haven't owned enough of them Many, many people have had problems with them, seemingly more than all other brands combined.

And yet, Fuji does enough right that those of us who are interesting in bridge cams look forward to the next one.

I'm sure they do better with their ILC's

I guess my point in posting is, enjoy your new Fuji stuff, but (as with any brand) don't be so quick to gulp down the Kool-Aid. I really enjoy my Pentax stuff - it works very well for what I do & enjoy - but am under no delusions that Pentax is "the best".
09-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian

also Fujifilm's X series cameras have high ISO performance that makes the Nikon D4 (not D4s) blush.
I use to own a XP1. And I now have a Df to replace it in the role as my candid and low light camera. There is not a lot of difference between APS-C and FF but that difference is noticeable between the XP1 and the Df.

Everyone here is taking about noise and detail. But what can be just as import if not more is how many stops of light can you capture at higher ISO too. The Fuji falls short compared to of the Df/D4, IMHO. DXO does not test the Fuji but if they did, I bet we'd see the typical dynamic range at ISO 1600+ we see in other APS-C cameras.
09-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I popped over to the DPR comparator and looked at the RAW.
The K5IIs was not on the comparator, so I choose the K50.
I just don't see the big advantage of X-trans that some people mention (same thing when I looked for K5 and XP1 in the past)
Generally its still the same story of nosier but more detailed (K50 or even Df) over less noise but a tad less detail too (XT1)

The strength of the Fuji are the lenses that are built from ground up for aps-c.
Fast, generally well performing, light (but arguably plastic) and not too expensive as fast primes go.
09-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I've never seen an advantage for the X-thing.

When it was introduced, the advantage was in Fuji lying about the ISO. Fuji is now lying a lot less.
09-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh I always go off of the still life photos (maybe because I'm more of a real estate photographer than a portrait photographer). If you look at the still life focus on the red leaf fabric and the bottle with the tiles. Also compare the X-T1 to the K-5IIs on those areas
09-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #29
Pentaxian

@shaolen, if I understand you correctly you switched over mostly for low light (ISO comments) and/or thin depth of field (wide aperture comments). Are you doing a lot of night street photography or something else? What do you think of Fuji's user interface compared to Pentax? Does Fuji have a TAv mode equivalent?
09-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have they updated the images with the latest ACR? Adobe has struggled with Fuji RAW files. C1 has been doing a much better job, but I hear the latest version of ACR is an improvement.