Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
that's true. However in event/wedding photography this was a godsend after struggling with tye original K-5 focusing
The problem with the K-5 was that it lacked the F/2.8 AF sensor. When the light got low and I was shooting my 85mm at F/2, AF was hit and miss. Adding the more accurate AF sensor that worked down to F/2.8 made a big difference. Nobody is shooting a wedding in -3EV unless they are vampires or the church is only lit by candles. At 5-6 EV people start putting away their cameras or breaking out the flash.

09-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The problem with the K-5 was that it lacked the F/2.8 AF sensor. When the light got low and I was shooting my 85mm at F/2, AF was hit and miss. Adding the more accurate AF sensor that worked down to F/2.8 made a big difference. Nobody is shooting a wedding in -3EV unless they are vampires or the church is only lit by candles. At 5-6 EV people start putting away their cameras or breaking out the flash.
receptions that is. Dance floor and dining is usually candle lit or random flying lights from the DJ stand
09-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #48

If you're after the low light performance and shooting professionally why not just go FF. The lens prices on fuji system are so expensive anyway.
09-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
If you're after the low light performance and shooting professionally why not just go FF.
Only people who want an improvement in low light performance would do that.

09-27-2014, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing...the answer for any problem is always the same....."why not just go FF."

My doc says I have only 6 months to live...."Have you thought of going FF?"

I am going blind in both eyes......"Have you thought of going FF?"

My wife left me and took my life savings....."Have you thought of going FF?"

A wood chipper took off both my arms and half my head, my wife is typing this for me...."Have you thought of going FF?"

Think of all the money being spent by mankind on bettering humanity, when the answers are only a click away.....FF, ready and waiting to change your life! (Excepting a Pentax, of course! )

Regards!
09-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #51
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
09-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #52
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Only people who want an improvement in low light performance would do that.
Or people who want only-one-eye-in-focus portraits.

09-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
And people who grew up shooting 35mm format that don't want to have to settle for a cropped version with their favorite focal lengths when you don't have to.
09-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Amazing...the answer for any problem is always the same....."why not just go FF."

A wood chipper took off both my arms and half my head, my wife is typing this for me...."Have you thought of going FF?"

Think of all the money being spent by mankind on bettering humanity, when the answers are only a click away.....FF, ready and waiting to change your life! (Excepting a Pentax, of course! )

Regards!
Pentax makes the best APS-C cameras around. They still have fast lenses, like the OP wants - you can get 1.8 everywhere, 1.4 in 30mm to 85mm, and 1.2 in 50mm.

I personally don't see 'large aperture lenses' as a reason to go to Fuji. If you need substantially faster than what Pentax has, you need a FF camera.
09-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #55
Veteran Member

If you had 6 mos to live Rupert I'd *buy* you FF so you could experience it's succulent greatness before passing into the afterlife...

(BTW, what do you think they shoot in heaven? )

---------- Post added 09-27-14 at 04:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
^^ condemned to purgatory with a P&S.

09-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #56
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

A good point Tuco...but this is 2014 and more people inhabit this earth that have grown up with a cropped focal length than with a FF focal length.
My bet is that if all the cropped focal lengths disappeared today, there would be loud and non stop howling and screaming...for cropped focal lengths! I might be one of the first.....my Bigma is 750mm on my K5...I don't want to give up 250mm and end up cropping in Photoshop to get what I already get now. Yes....I'd be willing to wager that if everything went FF overnight there would be an outrage like never seen before in the camera world. Billions of shooters that would not be happy at all...to please a few that already are...or could be. Whatcha think?

FF is not for everyone...probably not even for the vast majority of shooters. The coming things are those Toy Cameras...that's where the action is! Phones and Toy Cameras with class....they will soon rule in the camera world...in fact, I think they already do!

Regards!
09-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #57
Site Supporter

Regards!
But have you thought of going full frame?
09-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
If you had 6 mos to live Rupert I'd *buy* you FF so you could experience it's succulent greatness before passing into the afterlife...

I would speculate a digital Pentax 6x7
09-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Quite a few die hard pentaxians around here....

In the end each to their own, you have your money and you make your choice.

I’ve not looked back since switching to Fuji, I liked my brief encounter with Pentax but I preferred the feel of the Fuji X-Pro 1 over the K3 which felt and looked like another DSLR, I don’t know why they didn’t continue with the K30 design. An aperture ring is bliss, I never liked the in camera adjustment, why change what isn’t broken!

Don’t get me wrong if I were to get a SLR again it would be a Pentax, but they weren’t making the camera I wanted (still aren’t) Fuji were, though they are moving away with the X30 but they find sense again...

Oh yes I carry around ND filters, doesn’t everyone? I like to get the photo right in camera like I did with film, don’t like to fart about on a computer too much, unless I’m having a play.

Cheers, Steve
I'm only a little die hard
EVF mirrorless are certainly more accessable than DSLR and fuji certainly has great Jpeg output. Obviously camera ergonomics is a important to, but in my case I love dials and flexibility, can't say I've used the aperture ring on the 43ltd once!
09-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

in heaven I'm sure they shoot either medium format or digital large format (which I'm not sure even exists). Haha I like the purgatory p&s comment