Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #61
Veteran Member

I grew up with 35mm (couldn't afford a medium or large format camera!) aside from the crop factor the thing I missed was the form factor, I would have a Full Frame DSLR if they could fit the sensor etc in the package the size of my old Canon A1!

Cheers, Steve

09-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
I grew up with 35mm (couldn't afford a medium or large format camera!) aside from the crop factor the thing I missed was the form factor, I would have a Full Frame DSLR if they could fit the sensor etc in the package the size of my old Canon A1!

Cheers, Steve
They can fit it into a smaller package than that. The *ist D was from the remains of the 2000 Pentax ff effort. The mirror box was big enough for a full frame sensor. They debate has been abut the shake reduction that came along later.
09-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #63
Veteran Member

I suppose the Sony A7 full fills what I ask... suppose I better buy one

Cheers, Steve
09-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
I suppose the Sony A7 full fills what I ask... suppose I better buy one

Cheers, Steve
If I felt I had to go ff right this minute, I would probably either go Nikon or Canon. But that's just me.

09-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Nah I'm happy with my Fuji's, spend most my time now shooting with a 2/3" sensor anyway
09-28-2014, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, I haven't read all the posts in this thread. But I'll still add my two cents.

When the Xpro 1 first came out, I dumped my Pentax dslrs and most (but not all) of my K mount lenses.

I shot the Xpro 1 up until six months ago. (I went through five different lenses and all available accessories.) I have now sold my enitre Fuji system except for my x100 (original).

Why did I dump Fuji? (1) It is true that Fuji overstates ISO by close to a stop; (2) Fuji cooks its raw files by applying heavy NR; (3) The X-trans sensor, I have concluded, has been little more than a marketing scam. The Xtrans CFA adds nothing, but creates all sorts of problems--at least for most raw processors. And Fuji jpegs are famous for smearing skin-tones at even moderate ISOs.

Fuji provides great ergonomics and fantastic (but not cheap) glass. Still, the system is greatly overrated IMO.

I have gone entirely over to Nikon FF while my wife (also a Fuji user) now uses the Sony A7s as her primary camera. I still shoot Pentax film cameras and my K mount lenses (FA limiteds, Zeiss, and Voigtlander) are fantastic on the A7s (when my wife lets me use it).

Pentax (K5ii, iis, and K3) users should think twice about dumping their equipment for a Fuji system as there is nothing to be gained in terms of image quality.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 09-29-2014 at 08:57 PM.
09-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They can fit it into a smaller package than that. The *ist D was from the remains of the 2000 Pentax ff effort. The mirror box was big enough for a full frame sensor. They debate has been abut the shake reduction that came along later.
pentax's FF effort was a MZ-D

09-29-2014, 12:43 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Agreed there isn't much to be gained in switching from the K5II or K3 to Fuji X-Trans, I upgraded from a Pentax K-r (mother has that now) so I could see a difference.
As said the biggest decision for me was ergonomics and price. The X-Pro 1 with the 2 lens offer gave me better ergonomics and that old school manual feel at a price I could afford, The K3 or K5IIs with the lenses I wanted put it out of my price for a complete upgrade.
I've been happy with my decision, not regretted not having a DSLR at all, much prefer the rangefinder feel and found myself wondering why I waiting so long to go for this style... Oh yea couldn't afford a Leica! Which I think is the attraction to the X-Pro 1, it's a poor mans Leica.
I'm not sure the X-Trans is a scam, it produces some great results, I some how suspect they could have possibly put their film sim logarithms into a Bayer sensor camera and got similar results..... But it is bloody good marketing! something Pentax seems to be lacking? They also have some good offers, not seen many like it from Pentax UK, I know SRS Microsystems in Watford offered the 35mm F2.4 which a purchase of a K3, where if you bought the X-Pro 1 with 18mm you could have the 35mm F1.4 or 60mm Macro free, for me this worked out great as I love using primes.
I've not had problems with smeared skin tone in JPEG, but I do turn NR to -2.
RAW is something I've only played with and have not had a problem using the files in Aperture or the NIK collection, but as I said I'm not a great RAW user so don't understand it's complexities, I mainly use it for IR or stuff I've used ND filters on, can't say I noticed it "over cooking" the files.

I've not regretted dropping Pentax, I miss being able to post on here as it is a friendlier forum then the most!
I have to admit I am a JPEG shooter mainly as I like to get my shots out of the camera, I didn't have to bugger about too much in the dark room with film, just developed it and printed it, and I would rather be out shooting then sat at a computer playing with RAW files, these days I am with Rupert and am more of a "toy" camera shooter (Fuji X10) and am more and happy with the results for my needs, though all my printed stuff is with my X-Pro.

Again it's each to their own, I like the system I never fully bought into Pentax and didn't experience any of it's limited lenses, if they had a good deals here in the UK with the K3 I might have went with that instead of the X-Pro 1 but they didn't.

Cheers, Steve
09-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #69
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
pentax's FF effort was a MZ-D
And that's where the *ist D came from. My MZ-3 is slightly larger (135 x 90 x 61.5) than my *ist D (129 x 95 x 60) and have the same mirror box. The prototype MZ-D was probably the same size as the MZ-S 136.5 x 95 x 64. These sizes are height width depth.

Last edited by Blue; 09-29-2014 at 05:33 AM.
09-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
And that's where the *ist D came from. My MZ-3 is slightly larger (135 x 90 x 61.5) than my *ist D (129 x 95 x 60) and have the same mirror box. The prototype MZ-D was probably the same size as the MZ-S 136.5 x 95 x 64. These sizes are height width depth.
Oh ok I always imagined tye MZ-S bring bigger (never actually held one)
09-29-2014, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #71
Pentaxian

I get more keeper's on my Fuji X100s then I do off my K5 when I use both on trips. That's all I care about, better imaging tool.

As for stabilization? I think it's kinda overrated. Probably more useful with longer lenses but I'd be more likely using a tripod with a telephoto anyway. I don't get many blurry shots off the X100 with no stabilization so I wouldn't miss that. Just keep the shutter speed reasonable with the dial, easy.

Fuji has Pentax beat hands down on wide/standard primes right now. The 90 F2 is coming as well. Some telephoto zooms also. Pentax doesn't have the ibelux, the SLR Magic or Mitakon options either. Those are .85/.95 aperture, basically you get full frame DOF with those and they are all metal very well made lenses. Current Pentax glass is slower than Fuji period. There is a reason so many pro's are grabbing this stuff to lighten kits ( They aren't grabbing Pentax). None of them are complaining about fake ISO or hard to process files.

When I started with Pentax it was THE weather sealed, compact DSLR choice in APS-C with the K7 ( I upgraded to K5). If I were to start over today it would be a Fuji XT-1 not a Pentax. Would I sell all my kit and go Fuji? Probably not right now as I know my K5 and wouldn't want to take the huge loss on all the lenses.

I personally prefer EVF now that I'm used to it. Optical feels limited.

I think the XT-1 is a great choice and I don't think you'll have any regrets whatsoever. These are tools for your photography, buy what gets you the results you need.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 09-29-2014 at 10:02 AM.
09-30-2014, 06:01 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I personally prefer EVF now that I'm used to it. Optical feels limited.
=.
Interesting, can you please elaborate? I am under the impression that while already much better than a couple years ago, evf are still not up to optical in responsiveness and clarity.

And yeah, getting more keeper is what matters, I agree
09-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Interesting, can you please elaborate? I am under the impression that while already much better than a couple years ago, evf are still not up to optical in responsiveness and clarity.

And yeah, getting more keeper is what matters, I agree
You are correct about responsiveness and clarity. Optical is as clear as it gets and no refresh issues.

For me personally I look through a viewfinder for composition first, large shapes and where they are positioned, background stuff comes next if it's a portrait, then exposure. I can do composition fine with optical or EVF. Where the EVF advantage happens is exposure. You can see exactly what your getting when you take the shot through the viewfinder. It's the same as live view without the slowness (mirrored cameras) or the sun bleaching out the display or reflections. EVF also has a much bigger view similar to FF to look through. Another big advantage is when the room is dark or the sun is going down you can see much better through the EVF as it's showing you what the sensor sees. In the dark that comes with some slow refresh rates but it's better than not being able to see anything through the optical. I suppose if your chasing around fast moving objects the refresh would be annoying but honestly the AF on Pentax and the slow lens motors would be as well. For still or non-hyperactive subjects it works great. The resolution is very good and just keeps improving as well.

For manual focus the EVF zooms in for you for easy focus, the XT-1 takes it further with split screen. The X100 has the older "split" style focus that film camera's used to use if you want as well. It's much easier to focus than looking through a small APS-C optical viewfinder.

The X100s has both the optical (which is rangefinder and huge) which has electronic overlays, it's pretty cool but lately I'm using the EVF all the time for the exposure benefits. I usually chimp the K5 to see if I'm getting what I wanted for exposure after a few test shots, not needed with the EVF.

I understand the refresh rate frustration with EVF's. CRT monitors used to give people splitting headaches when the refresh wasn't fast enough as well.
09-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply it was quite informative. I'm also considering getting a fuji and that helps me to compare. I'll try one in store someday
09-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #75
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Not completely. I still have a whole Q7 kit that I love and I have a film pentax. But I have just sold my K-5II and K-01 and most of the lenses I had and will be making the switch to Fujifilm. The large aperture lenses are just too hard to ignore and when they announced the silver X-T1, that was what pushed me over. Actually Fujifilm is what I started photography on (S700, HS20) so its kind of a homecoming. My plan is to have the graphite X-T1, the 56mm 1.2, the 23mm 1.4, and the Zeiss 12mm 2.8.

---------- Post added 09-24-14 at 02:37 PM ----------

also Fujifilm's X series cameras have high ISO performance that makes the Nikon D4 (not D4s) blush.
Good choice. 23/1.4 is the gem.