Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I've been with Fuji just over a year now 1st with the X10 and was pretty much blown away with it, so I took the leap and bought the X-Pro 1 and wouldn't look back.

IQ is nice, I'm not a great RAW shooter but I do a bit now and then, the bit that sold me was the manual control, so happy to get back to a aperture ring!

Cheers, Steve

09-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
good luck! the XT-1 is a brilliant camera and at times I highly regret returning it.

I found the EVF was making me nautious, which was the only reason I really parted with it. The minor reason was I didn't find it that much smaller and compact than my K3 kit since I find the lenses bigger compared to Pentax's, and I wanted somethign smaller.I loved that camera... I think I'll grab an EM10 soon though. miss that 25mm Panasonic/Leica lens!
09-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
@shaolen, if I understand you correctly you switched over mostly for low light (ISO comments) and/or thin depth of field (wide aperture comments). Are you doing a lot of night street photography or something else? What do you think of Fuji's user interface compared to Pentax? Does Fuji have a TAv mode equivalent?
actually so far professionally I shoot mostly interiors (which usually require small aperture). But when I shoot for fun yeah its usually at night or in poorly lit rooms. I also am not the biggest fan of flash so usually shoot with natural light. Those are big factors to why I'm wanting to switch (and i guess by saying "switching" i don't necessarily mean forever. I'd like to have both systems) but its really a lot of little things. The look and feel of them. The compact light weight body. As for user interface id say Fuji is 2nd to pentax. Pentax has the best of any camera I've used, and Fuji seems to have borrowed a lot from them (the q menu in particular). I believe the ISO dial on top has an "A" mode which is the same as Tav

---------- Post added 09-25-14 at 12:56 PM ----------

the one gripe I have about the X-T1's ergonomics is the rear dial is hard to turn. It doesn't stick out enough
09-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Pentax has the best of any camera I've used
Today's cameras with their countless menu choices is daunting. And I still don't get why camera manufactures won't gives a person an option to not show any in-camera JPEG stuff. That is, only show me just the things that affect the RAW file and exposure control. What a simple menu that could be since, it seems, 80% of the crap is JPEG stuff.

But further image a camera that gives you the option to put your favorite and most commonly used things in its own menu tab that you can find fast and right away. Pentax doesn't have that.

09-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

While I'm glad to see Fuji pushing the APS-C boundaries and challenging Canikon with their fast glass options, I just don't see benefit over pentax with the small exception of fast wide lenses.
Pentax has every lens stabilised. Fuji has just the zooms.
Pentax has 5 f2.8 lenses longer than 60mm not including third party options or the new 70-200 under development. Fuji will shortly have one zoom @$1600.
Fuji has no telephoto options longer the 230mm kit zoom, Isn't that supposed to be APS-C is stronger than FF?
To me fuji looses out to pentax in almost every way unless you prefer EVF to OVF, only shoot jpeg, or need a very specific wide fast lens. Of course if your used to lugging massive canikon FF around then I can see the appeal.
Just imagine it they sold a K3 sized pentax FF IBIS camera with a Kit of three HD DFA limited WR lenses based on the FA limited optics!
09-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
While I'm glad to see Fuji pushing the APS-C boundaries and challenging Canikon with their fast glass options, I just don't see benefit over pentax with the small exception of fast wide lenses.
Pentax has 5 f2.8 lenses longer than 60mm not including third party options or the new 70-200 under development. Fuji will shortly have one zoom @$1600.
Fuji has no telephoto options longer the 230mm kit zoom, Isn't that supposed to be APS-C is stronger than FF?
To me fuji looses out to pentax in almost every way unless you prefer EVF to OVF, only shoot jpeg, or need a very specific wide fast lens. Of course if your used to lugging massive canikon FF around then I can see the appeal.
Just imagine it they sold a K3 sized pentax FF IBIS camera with a Kit of three HD DFA limited WR lenses based on the FA limited optics!
At photokina Fuji had a 140-400mm lens

---------- Post added 09-26-14 at 08:53 AM ----------

I will say that if pentax comes out with FF ill get that on top of the X-T1 or also maybe after getting the Fuji with the three primes ill get a K-3 with two zooms (SIG 18-35mm 1.8, DA* 50-135mm) to compliment the fuji
09-26-2014, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

My plan is to have the graphite X-T1, the 56mm 1.2, the 23mm 1.4, and the Zeiss 12mm 2.8.
Sounds like a great plan. Can't really fault you. Those primes are very tempting, and the camera as well. Hope you have a good time and don't abandon us

09-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #38
Pentaxian

At photokina Fuji had a 140-400mm lens
I think mirrorless cameras make for a poor platform to handhold large, telephoto lenses anyway. Just my humble opinion. If you want to handhold big lenses like that, a DSLR with a big grip is most welcome if you're not using a tripod.

A FF DSLR and an APS-C mirrorless makes for a great combo to have. And today if you can't get a good picture from *any* current APS-C or FF DSLR in production, then turn in your photo card at the door when you leave. Arguing over brand and stupid little features is what things have come to these days.
09-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #39
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
max shutter speed of that x-t1 is 1/4000th? do you have to carry nd filters around? and it's only 16mpx?

since you shoot in low-light, and you don't care about pixels, why not spend another $700 and get a7s.

it'll be much better in low-light than the fuji.
09-26-2014, 01:55 PM - 3 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

Quite a few die hard pentaxians around here....

In the end each to their own, you have your money and you make your choice.

I’ve not looked back since switching to Fuji, I liked my brief encounter with Pentax but I preferred the feel of the Fuji X-Pro 1 over the K3 which felt and looked like another DSLR, I don’t know why they didn’t continue with the K30 design. An aperture ring is bliss, I never liked the in camera adjustment, why change what isn’t broken!

Don’t get me wrong if I were to get a SLR again it would be a Pentax, but they weren’t making the camera I wanted (still aren’t) Fuji were, though they are moving away with the X30 but they find sense again...

Oh yes I carry around ND filters, doesn’t everyone? I like to get the photo right in camera like I did with film, don’t like to fart about on a computer too much, unless I’m having a play.

Cheers, Steve
09-26-2014, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

I too would like to know this. I will definitely miss -3ev AF
Do you know how dark -3EV is? ISO 100 - 2 minute exposure - F/2.8 - moonlight. With long exposure moonlight photography AF usually isn't that important.
09-26-2014, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
I liked my brief encounter with Pentax but I preferred the feel of the Fuji X-Pro 1 over the K3 which felt and looked like another DSLR
How a camera looks and feels has a lot to do with how much use it gets...at least for some of us. My little X10/X20 looks and feels great, like real and solid cameras are supposed to look and feel, not plastic looking bodies that all look the same. Fuji has got it right in body design with the X-T1, it looks stunning and has a solid feel too, from what I am told. If you are in love with your camera, and it doesn't look just like the guy's next door, and next door to him, you tend to think more highly of it...and use it more too! Ugly girls that can cook like mama are wonderful....but if a pretty girl can cook,why not go for it!

Regards!
09-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
  1. Smaller kit, so it's lighter, less obtrusive, and more intimate. All three are important to a large segment of the overall photographic market.
  2. Tactile exposure controls. Shutter, aperture, and ISO are all dedicated electromechanical controls that, unlike e-dials and "green buttons", aren't readily susceptible to unwanted adjustment; they stay where they're set.
  3. Mechanical shutter ends at 1/4000s, but the electronic one goes all the way to 1/32000s. That's 2 full extra stops of shutter above the fastest mechanical shutters on the market.
  4. Color rendition. Fuji knows color better than any other manufacturer in the market; I'd wager they know it as well as Pantone. Fuji's colors out of camera are so good that shooting JPEG isn't a workflow handicap anymore.

Stabilization is neato, but has never been necessary to make great photos, though it was more important when signal-to-noise ratios were intolerable above ISO800. Fuji has a long zoom, but they aren't going for the super telephoto market. That's a low volume niche market to begin with, and they seem to be wisely putting their R&D money elsewhere.

Then they'd be just like every other non-Canikon maker, scrapping for single-digit shares in a very overpopulated market. Instead, they have effectively put themselves in a market leader position with solid products that have very broad appeal.

It is all subjective really. Given a blank check to go shopping one time and having to choose a format and a system, I'd choose medium format and either Pentax or Phase. But given what style I know I shoot more and/or want to shoot more, Fuji seems the clear winner - for me - but time will tell...
09-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Stabilization is neato, but has never been necessary to make great photos, though it was more important when signal-to-noise ratios were intolerable above ISO800.
Agree with that, been using the X-Pro 1 with the 18mm and 35mm primes with no stabilisation and have not missed it, don’t think I’ve taken a shot where I thought I would have been better off with IBIS, a tripod might have been handy but thats another story...

Cheers, Steve
09-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Sounds like a great plan. Can't really fault you. Those primes are very tempting, and the camera as well. Hope you have a good time and don't abandon us
hey thanks! Absolutely not, ill always be a pentaxian and I still have my film pentax and Q7

---------- Post added 09-27-14 at 05:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
max shutter speed of that x-t1 is 1/4000th? do you have to carry nd filters around? and it's only 16mpx?

since you shoot in low-light, and you don't care about pixels, why not spend another $700 and get a7s.

it'll be much better in low-light than the fuji.
I'm not sure if X-T1 has this feature but I know x100 has a built in ND filter. Also the X-T1 has an electronic shutter that goes faster (ofcorse it will have bad rolling shutter effects I'm sure). The a7r is interesting but there's something about the whole Fuji system as a whole that gives it a sort of x factor that Sony has always lacked to me. Perhaps if I do a lot of low light video in the near future ill check a7s out

---------- Post added 09-27-14 at 05:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think mirrorless cameras make for a poor platform to handhold large, telephoto lenses anyway. Just my humble opinion. If you want to handhold big lenses like that, a DSLR with a big grip is most welcome if you're not using a tripod.

A FF DSLR and an APS-C mirrorless makes for a great combo to have. And today if you can't get a good picture from *any* current APS-C or FF DSLR in production, then turn in your photo card at the door when you leave. Arguing over brand and stupid little features is what things have come to these days.
I would agree with you on the super big lenses on tiny camera with small grip. Then again my Q7 does surprisingly well when I had the adapter and DA* 50-135mm on it.

---------- Post added 09-27-14 at 05:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Quite a few die hard pentaxians around here....

In the end each to their own, you have your money and you make your choice.

I’ve not looked back since switching to Fuji, I liked my brief encounter with Pentax but I preferred the feel of the Fuji X-Pro 1 over the K3 which felt and looked like another DSLR, I don’t know why they didn’t continue with the K30 design. An aperture ring is bliss, I never liked the in camera adjustment, why change what isn’t broken!

Don’t get me wrong if I were to get a SLR again it would be a Pentax, but they weren’t making the camera I wanted (still aren’t) Fuji were, though they are moving away with the X30 but they find sense again...

Oh yes I carry around ND filters, doesn’t everyone? I like to get the photo right in camera like I did with film, don’t like to fart about on a computer too much, unless I’m having a play.

Cheers, Steve
that sums up a large amount of how I feel. I too was wondering why they didn't stick with the K-30 design. That thing was like a Lamborghini camera. I know people live and swear by RAW but even in my professional work I've rarely ever had a need for it.

---------- Post added 09-27-14 at 05:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Do you know how dark -3EV is? ISO 100 - 2 minute exposure - F/2.8 - moonlight. With long exposure moonlight photography AF usually isn't that important.
that's true. However in event/wedding photography this was a godsend after struggling with tye original K-5 focusing