Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samsung pimping hard the NX1 to consumers.

while looking for early reviews of the NX1 i stumbled upon this post on DPreviewhttp://http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54464858

>>>I subscribe to Rangefinder (just for the articles, honestly!).

I was opening up what I thought was the latest issue and noticed a Samsung black band around it advertising the NX1. Well, I thought, that must have cost a bit extra to add that.

Removing the band I realized the entire "issue" of Rangefinder was all articles about pros shooting the NX1. Holy cow! How buch does it cost to buy a brand lock, stock, and barrel like that?

Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about the Rangefinder name being attached to something that is pure ad like this.

What's also surprising to be is that Samsung feels there's enough money in the market to give some kind of a return on this very large expense...

-- hide signature --
---> Kendall

09-28-2014, 03:16 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Remember

This is an international forum. The expression "Pimping" is deeply offensive in many communities. Try to remember that you are addressing members in many parts of the world.
09-28-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0brwy Quote
This is an international forum ...
That's figurative language, r0brwy.

One would hope that forum members would understand a convention for what it is.
09-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's figurative language, r0brwy.

One would hope that forum members would understand a convention for what it is.
I agree. That is such overreacting...

09-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Next he's going to suggest that the photography phrase 'black and white' should be replaced by the less provocative 'Afro-American and Caucasian'.
09-28-2014, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, now let's move on to substance.
09-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it needs to be said that part of the reason Samsung has become the number one smartphone maker is enormous marketing efforts like that, which can't be duplicated by smaller rivals such as HTC.

Once upon a time it seems they saved money on R and D by more cheaply copying designs and paying a fine afterwards, but their profits are so big now a lot of original research is happening.

I've just ordered a Mini NX with the 9-27mm as a carry around toy. I'll use it to tether to and instantly upload from my Galaxy Note 2.

Last edited by clackers; 09-28-2014 at 06:52 AM.
09-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung is like Lionfish in the Florida Keys.
09-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #9

When Samsung produces a gold plated crocodile clad nx....then they will be pimpin' :-)!
09-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the reasons Samsung stock is taking a dive is because of their practice of dumping large amounts of product into the retail channel that will never be sold. Their latest advertising efforts in the US are laughable. Have you ever seen anyone lining up a week before a Samsung product is released?

Samsung used to exclusively supply Apple with the Ax processor for the iPhone. TSMC is now providing at least 60% of the A8 to Apple. I doubt they had any clue as to the design of the Apple Watch or their own attempts wouldn't be so clumsy.
09-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Samsung is like Lionfish in the Florida Keys.
Hey, this is an international forum! Lionfish are just victims of geographic misplacement...

To the OP: just so you know, Rangefinder magazine (mainly for wedding photogs) is a division of PDN (Photo District News, mainly for studio photogs). Both of these magazines are essentially "infomercials" for advertisers. Although they have a cover price and are distributed and sold on magazine stands, most "subscribers" get it for free because over half of the content is advertising, so it has already been paid for. In the case of the Samsung NX1, apparently all of the content was purchased by one brand.

That said, PDN and Rangefinder have some good articles in them on technique and the business of photography, and will report news and interesting things that are not sponsored. Just remember that most of what is in between the covers is an ad (in one form or another). There are infomercial trade magazines like this for many industries, usually found in waiting rooms, or in a stack at B&H or a car dealer.

Meanwhile, I think the NX1 has some promise if all that shiny new tech inside it actually works well.
09-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
One of the reasons Samsung stock is taking a dive is because of their practice of dumping large amounts of product into the retail channel that will never be sold. Their latest advertising efforts in the US are laughable. Have you ever seen anyone lining up a week before a Samsung product is released?

I was wondering. We can overhere buy NX2000 (that is with the 20 megapixel sensor) with 20-50mm lens, small flash and surprising in the box a license for lightroom and all that for 189 euro!!!!
09-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0brwy Quote
This is an international forum. The expression "Pimping" is deeply offensive in many communities. Try to remember that you are addressing members in many parts of the world.
My wife is a medical student, they get "pimped" by their attendee's all the time ...meaning being questioned on the spot by doctors to come up with diagnosis. Pimping has many uses, but i do apologize for any non-foreseen offenses the term might incur.
09-29-2014, 07:55 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

How come no one is offended by "chimping"? Chimps consider it an outrage, doesn't anyone care about their feelings? After all....Chimps are people too...or would be ruled as such if such a ruling was ever made.....The Big Brick Store down the road from me is "people too" so no doubt a Chimp would be too?

Regards!
09-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Samsung spend billions of dollars a year on marketing, a huge amount compared to their competitors. This will be just a tiny drop in the bucket.

I'm pretty disenchanted with them - all their products that I have bought (a TV, a laptop, and an SSD drive) have great specs, but turned out to be disappointing (the TV has dynamic black levels that cannot be adjusted, the laptop had poor driver support and poor screen, and the SSD drive turned out to be a lot slower in real life compared to benchmarks).

I'm now a "buy anything but Samsung" person. Sony used to be similar, but seems to have improved recently. Even so, there are still hits and misses with Sony.