Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Number of raw files on sd card

So when i put in a 16gb cars into my d600 it tells me that i have about 320 shots. So, this seemed a little low given that each raw file is, at the max, 30 megs. According to google, that number should be more like 500. What gives?

09-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will notice that the remaining number of shots continues to change as you shoot. The file size varies by picture. The camera will estimate how many shots you have left based on the files sizes of the shots you have already shot. In my experience, it's always less which is probably better than telling you 500 shots and you only get 350. I'm basing this on my Pentax experience. Many times, I have started shooting with 150 shots remaining and by the time I get 100, I sometimes have almost 100 left. I'm assuming Nikon's file system is working the same way.
09-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
So when i put in a 16gb cars into my d600 it tells me that i have about 320 shots. So, this seemed a little low given that each raw file is, at the max, 30 megs. According to google, that number should be more like 500. What gives?
The camera will always give you a worst-case estimate. Raw files are only considerably bigger at higher ISOs so most of the time you'll beat the estimate by a good margin. Same thing happens with Pentax cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: